Biomarker for chronic fatigue syndrome identified - relevant for PSSD?

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
Jaxx

Biomarker for chronic fatigue syndrome identified - relevant for PSSD?

Unread post by Jaxx »

Last week ive been reading about some interesting simularities between cfs/ME and PSSD. This includes the role of the 5HT1A autoreceptor, Nystatin as a unsuspected medication that has impact on both, besides some similarities in symptoms.

Today it was published they found a biomarker for CFS, making me wonder if this could be relevant for PSSD in the long run. Not enough information out there to draw any conclusions yet, but something to keep in mind, especially with the development of Cortene in the background.

http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2 ... ified.html

Nystatin in cfs: https://www.prohealth.com/library/dr-ja ... rome-20007
Cortene and 5HT1A: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2018/ ... ypothesis/
Rb26dett

Re: Biomarker for chronic fatigue syndrome identified - relevant for PSSD?

Unread post by Rb26dett »

I think it's the only way... Imo, PSSD and CFS are linked. I've both and they came togheter.
I am increasingly convinced that if there is a drug that could help is Cortene. Healing from chronic fatigue, for me it would be very important because I could go back to work. In Italy there are very few doctors who know her and I have not yet found one. People think I'm just lazy. This is a great suffering. I think the modulation of serotonin is the key, that's why Cortene could save me. I was also thinking of going back to taking small doses of SSRIs ... Before 5HTP, Paroxetine always made me horny ... I'd be curious to find out how much it could help, but I'm afraid of further worsening my situation.
Paroxetine from 11-2012 to 08-2018 never had sexual disfunction.
Added 5-htp for help with Paroxetine withdrawal, then I got severe PSSD, with altered hormones levels and CFS.
Symptoms worsened with time.
taarn

Re: Biomarker for chronic fatigue syndrome identified - relevant for PSSD?

Unread post by taarn »

Sudden/gradual onset: Over time accumulated CRF2/CRF1 maladaptations could result in a sensitized HPA axis. This could happen via an intense stress sufficient to produce maladaptation (sudden onset), or the accumulation of sub-threshold stresses over time (gradual onset).
This is very similar to the onset of PSSD.

I think it fits well into the picture that the onset of PSSD is related to cortisol spikes and HPA overreactivity. Most of the people who got PSSD were suffering from some kind of anxiety, OCD, etc.. so kind of 'overreactive' issues instead of the low energy, sleep all day motivation lacking kind of depression. After taking the drugs many people end up with CFS like symptoms beside PSSD.
Genetic variations related to cortisol/HPA reactivity, SERT and 5-HT1A, so in the end stress response/handling should play a big role in this.

Yesterday I also shared a study that serotonin in itself can cause LTD independent of the cortisol -> glutamate -> eCB induced LTD. Add this to cortisol and HPA issues and I think it's a possible reason behind why SSRIs are the most notorious of causing PSSD. It can happen with 'less serotonergic' antidepressants too, but by messing with cortisol and the HPA in the end you are messing up your serotonin system, hence having sexual issues.

Stress handling, HPA reactivity and serotonin are tightly related, and by disrupting these interconnected systems you are likely to end up with long-lasting undesired changes. PSSD is a result of an interplay between genetic predisposability and environmental factors (including taking a certain drug), and the balance shifts to genetic predisposability when talking about weights of these different factors. Taking this into account I can imagine that if we take some people and expose them to chronic and/or intense stress prior to taking SSRIs we are increasing their likeliness to develop PSSD.