5-ht theory and steroidogenesis [Coraggio's corner]

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
Bigmum

Re: 5-ht theory and steroidogenesis

Unread post by Bigmum »

Effect of centrally injected allopregnanolone on sexual receptivity, luteinizing hormone release, hypothalamic dopamine turnover, and release in female rats.
Laconi MR, Cabrera RJ.
Source
Instituto de Medicina y Biología Experimental de Cuyo (IMBECU-CONICET), Cátedra de Farmacología, Facultad de Ciencias Médicas, Mendoza, Argentina.

Abstract
The effect of intracerebroventricular (icv) injection of allopregnanolone (5alpha-pregnan-3alpha-ol-20-one) on the dopaminergic and reproductive function in ovariectomized rats primed with estrogen and progesterone was investigated. Thirty minutes after icv allopregnanolone injection, the sexual receptivity, luteinizing hormone (LH) release, dopamine content, and release in the medial basal hypothalamus (MBH) and preoptic area (POA) were determined. After allopregnanolone injection, LH serum levels were reduced (p < 0.001) and lordosis behavior was inhibited (p < 0.005). Intracerebroventricular injection of bicuculline (a gamma-aminobutyric acidA [GABAA] antagonist) alone was ineffective. The injection of allopregnanolone plus bicuculline blocked the effects of allopregnanolone on sexual receptivity and on LH serum levels. At the same time, endogenous dopamine concentration in both the MBH and POA was augmented (p < 0.005 and p < 0.006, respectively) and the turnover rate decreased in both structures. Moreover, in vitro 3H-dopamine release from MBH and POA was lower in rats injected with allopregnanolone in comparison with vehicle-treated rats. These results suggest that allopregnanolone influences the dopaminergic mechanisms in female rats, which may, in turn, be responsible for the reduced reproductive activity. Allopregnanolone may exert its effects on sexual behavior through GABAA receptor modulation and a decrease in dopaminergic activity in the MBH and POA. These actions could explain the inhibition of LH release.
Sorry for my bad (terrible) English.
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

Antidepressant treatment upregulates both allopregnanolone levels and the expression of BDNF in a manner that significantly correlates with improved symptomatology, which suggests that neurosteroid biosynthesis and BDNF expression may be interrelated. Preclinical studies using the socially isolated mouse as an animal model of behavioral deficits, which resemble some of the symptoms observed in PTSD patients, have shown that fluoxetine and derivatives improve anxiety-like behavior, fear responses and aggressive behavior by elevating the corticolimbic levels of allopregnanolone and BDNF mRNA expression. These actions appeared to be independent and more selective than the action of these drugs on serotonin reuptake inhibition.
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

Guys but we can' t change every topic in pssd complain ....this is about neurosteroids... Not general disscussion... even IF someone doesn t care about theories etc..
Recovery

Unread post by Recovery »

Bigmum wrote:Guys but we can' t change every topic in pssd complain ....this is about neurosteroids... Not general disscussion... even IF someone doesn t care about theories etc..
I agree with that. Don't forget what Foxx mentioned:

"You'll recover, it needs some time."
Juvo

Unread post by Juvo »

Can we please stop polluting every thread with complaints? It's hard enough to follow each one as it is.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I'm getting really tired of complaining threads. I know that it's hard, but please keep it on one thread. It's so annoying when it spills everywhere. There are places for this stuff, but not in this thread.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Recovery

Frye CA, Rhodes ME.; Fluoxetine-induced decrements in sexual responses of female rats and hamsters are reversed by 3α,5α-THP (allopreg) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20412429
J Sex Med. 2010 Aug;7(8):2670-80

Fry JP, Li KY, Devall AJ, Cockcroft S, Honour JW, Lovick TA.; Fluoxetine elevates allopregnanolone in female rat brain but inhibits a steroid microsomal dehydrogenase rather than activating an aldo-keto reductase. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25161074
Br J Pharmacol. 2014 Dec;171(24):5870-80.

Could this go in a line with pete's recovery?
Last edited by Recovery on Wed May 10, 2017 4:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

This is very interesting study....we should ask that guy bloom from Ray peat forum what he thinks about it..
jaiho

Unread post by jaiho »

two reports on ray peat forum with use of Pregnenolone:
pregnenolone in any significant dosages makes my sex drive tank and makes my penis numb.
Why would pregnenolone make PSSD symptoms worse? Hmm. Very conflicting results using these neurosteroids.
Recovery

Maybe because it results in too high progesterone?!