Cyproheptadine

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Kinncrimson

Cyproheptadine

Unread post by Kinncrimson »

Hello,

Cyproheptadine is known to help with SSRI induced sexual dysfunction and is a antidote for the serotonin syndrom.
It looks like cyproheptadine blocks 5ht2a and 5ht1a

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=98359370
"Treatment of the serotonin syndrome with cyproheptadine.
Graudins A, Stearman A, Chan B.
Department of Emergency Medicine, Westmead Hospital, NSW, Australia.
The serotonin syndrome is the result of excess stimulation of central nervous 5-hydroxytryptamine (5HT)-1a and 5HT-2 receptors. The diagnosis requires a history of exposure to agents active at serotonin receptors and the presence of alterations in mental status, autonomic instability, and neuromuscular abnormalities such as tremor, hyperreflexia, or myoclonus. In this descriptive case series, five cases of serotonin syndrome are reported. All patients gave a history of recent exposure to one or more serotonergic medications, including moclobemide, paroxetine, sertraline, and venlafaxine, with clinical evidence of serotonin syndrome. All patients were administered cyproheptadine (4-8 mg orally) for serotonergic signs. Three had complete resolution of signs within 2 h of administration. Another two had a residual tremor or hyperreflexia following the first dose, which resolved following a repeat dose. There were no adverse outcomes from cyproheptadine use. The role of specific serotonin receptor antagonists such as cyproheptadine in the treatment of the serotonin syndrome remains to be delineated. Its use should be considered an adjunct to supportive care. Currently, it is unknown whether cyproheptadine modifies patient.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8665544
Cyproheptadine treatment of sexual dysfunction induced by serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Aizenberg D1, Zemishlany Z, Weizman A.
Author information
Abstract
Treatment of serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) is associated with sexual dysfunction. The cause of this dysfunction is unclear but may be related to stimulation of the serotonergic system. In the present article, we describe seven patients in whom iatrogenic sexual dysfunction induced by SRIs was treated with cyproheptadine, a 5HT-2 antagonist with antihistaminergic and adrenolytic properties. Seven obsessive-compulsive male patients, aged 29-54 years, who developed sexual dysfunction following treatment with SRIs (fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, and clomipramine) were instructed to take cyproheptadine (4-12 mg) 1-2 h before commencing sexual activity. Five of the seven patients displayed improvement in sexual function, although the improvement was transitory in two. The two remaining patients did not respond. All patients exhibited sedation on the day following cyproheptadine administration. Our preliminary observation suggests that some patients with sexual dysfunction associated with SRI treatment, mainly decreased libido and anorgasmia, may benefit from cyproheptadine administration. The role of 5HT-2 antagonists in SRI-induced sexual dysfunction merits further investigation.

Also in wikipedia it says it blocks 5ht1a and many other serotonin receptors:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproheptadine

What do think?

I already ordered 60 tablets.
jaiho

Re: Cyproheptadine - serotonin antagonist

Unread post by jaiho »

Tried this. absolutely awful. One of the most powerful anti histamines on the market. Will make you sleep and never wake up (almost)
I took one dose and was knocked out for a week. Nasty stuff.
If it didn't have the histamine effect i suspect it would be useful, considering its binding profile.
HalfPerson

Unread post by HalfPerson »

If I had a week off work, I'd try some. Diphenhydramine knocks me out on nights I can't sleep (no PSSD alterations, mind).

Would be interesting if OP reports back with any successes...as already we have a negative summation (though positive if one has insomnia, gotta see the positives!)

Is ANTI histamine good for PSSD...or is the opposite true?
Kinncrimson

Unread post by Kinncrimson »

Yes of course I will report how it goes...

Ghost, csn you tell us if antihistamines are good for pssd? And what do you generally think about cyproheptadine?
HalfPerson

How much did you pay for the tablets, by the way?

PS: Wikipedia page makes it sound pretty promising. And has a cool, revolving 'molecule' graphic on the right hand side!

(I can be easily pleased sometimes).
Foxx

Unread post by Foxx »

Waste of time. Also 5-HT1A antagonist. However it's my (based on experience) opinion.
HalfPerson

OK mate. Bad seeming to outweigh good so far. Trouble with PSSD, you end up wanting to try everything and the kitchen sink.

Still interested to see how the OP gets on.;)
Foxx

Unread post by Foxx »

I suspect he would end with more serotonin in the synapse (dilated pupils, serotonin face). 5-ht1a antagonists potentiate ssris. Still, I could be wrong, so pop it and report.
HalfPerson

What happened with you, Foxx?

Any bonuses or just what jaiho experienced?

I tried Selegiline but I didn't try it right. I still got a box somewhere but it only seemed to make me a bit more grousy.

PS: and what is 'serotonin face'? I know I seem to get 'serotonin bad back'. But 'serotonin face'?
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

Kinncrimson wrote:Yes of course I will report how it goes...

Ghost, csn you tell us if antihistamines are good for pssd? And what do you generally think about cyproheptadine?
I have a Histamine article on here somewhere...ahh... It's rather old, and if you read anything I've posted far in the past, you'll realize that my view of PSSD keeps changing the more I read. I think it might be able to help, but it's not the root of the cause.

http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... mine#p3902
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)