Low Dose SSRI (Reinstatement)

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
PsychoGenesis

Re: Low Dose SSRI (Reinstatement)

Unread post by PsychoGenesis »

what is the difference between zoloft and other SSRI's?
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

Thank you for keeping us posted Ghost. Since your initial post about your friend I have been considering trying sertraline.

Sertraline was the very first SSRI I took. I was given a month supply by a doctor in April 2007 and then was put on it in the fall of 2007 after beginning to see a Psychiatrist. When my issues did not respond to sertraline, the doctor progressively raised my dose before taking me off of it and starting me on fluoxetine in early spring 2008. I got PSSD while on fluoxetine. As far as I recall, I didn't notice any negative effects from sertraline. In retrospect, I do not think I tapered off of sertraline.

The idea of subjecting my body to this poison again (suppressing my hormones, etc) makes me sick. I have tried many things but nothing has worked yet (was going to try berberine/icariin next), and clearly I will not be cured by waiting things out.
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

PsychoGenesis wrote:what is the difference between zoloft and other SSRI's?
Same (serotonin) but Zoloft is more dopaminergic than the other SSRI’s.
chemistry

Unread post by chemistry »

For me it seems coming off the SSRIs i took really set off symptoms for me. Going on them made me worse but coming off (especially since I came off very quickly) always seemed to trigger more severe symptoms. after reading this I'm finally considering low dose reinstatement and seeing what happens. I have two 50mg zoloft capsules, not sure how i'm going to split them. Any ideas anyone? I'm thinking im going to start with 5mg at a time.
Brief Symptoms:
PE - Anhedonia, less emotions - Test Atrophy - Numb body - Lowered libido = ED
24/7 tension, stress. Worse with lack of sleep, hungry, ill
"Pure-O"
Visual Snow Syndrome + DP/DR + Tinnitus
Insomnia, Fatigue
see intro for more
BlueLeader

Unread post by BlueLeader »

Ghost wrote:
BlueLeader wrote:
Ghost wrote:Let me clarify a bit on the story (I'm 90% sure on this but he is really busy and I haven't had the time to sit down with him and confirm it all yet - but we will craft a comprehensive report when we do):

My friend took Lexapro for anxiety back in 2012. He took it for 3 days at a low dose. At this time he stopped and had PSSD until a few months ago. People can say that it's not a "cure" because he is still on a low Zoloft dose, but I would trade take his situation in a heartbeat if I had the chance. He plans on eventually tapering off of the Zoloft but he wants to let his body stabilize first. Also, our previous knowledge suggests that when he does taper that the recovery will remain if he tapers slowly. He's terrified (rightfully) of changing anything at this time.

He didn't even tell me about the Zoloft until after he was on it because he was taking it for anxiety and it was NOT for PSSD. He was doing it because he felt hopeless about anxiety. Around 2 months after starting the Zoloft the anxiety got better and PSSD symptoms were stable and not improved.

I was studying for my MCAT and we didn't talk much during the winter and early spring. He noted things were better than before but it was nothing wild.

6 weeks ago we talked and he told me he was at 90% for the past month having lots of sex. He told me that he waited to tell me because he didn't want to get my hopes up. Then I spoke with him last week after my exam and he's at least 100% now, and he claims it's maybe even better than that. He's back to hyper-sexuality and full emotion. This is as legit as it gets. There are only a few people that I know as close as him with PSSD and our friendship goes back several years. He has seen Dr. Goldstein and all the rest. Just not an active forum member because he is(was!) quite private about PSSD.

Getting back into the PSSD community after a few month hiatus is overwhelming but I'm doing it. I appreciate the patience as I do so. There are a lot of things I need to catch up with.
So glad to have you back Ghost. I know you are busy catching up with everything and your MCATs.
Have you had a chance to speak with your friend? Very eager to hear his story and dosage.
Thank you for all that you do on this forum.
Funny you ask. I spoke with him today for a while and was going to post an update.

We've spoken since the original post I made with both good and bad updates. Thing would change but largely stay good - or better than before Zoloft.

2 weeks ago we talked after not speaking in depth for a month and he told me that he was feeling terrible. Most of this was worsened anxiety but the PSSD had come back a bit too. He asked what he could do for the anxiety. PSSD was largely an afterthought at this point as the anxiety was ruining his life and career. Well, as many of you know, I've been in 10+ months of depression remission from Ketamine, and hallucinogens/disassociatives are something I think can really help people in the right context. Anyways I talked him into trying ketamine and his wife was on board too. We found a good clinic near his house and then work got busy for us both and we hadn't talked in 2 weeks. That was until today when he texted me saying we needed to talk.

So review of the timeline - last october is when he started the 50mg Zoloft. Then fast forward til this spring and things start getting better. He stays on Zoloft as it's working for anxiety and PSSD. Then PSSD benefits wear off and anxiety comes rushing back. He ups the dose to 75mg and things just get WORSE. All around. Anxiety and PSSD. This came to a head 2 weeks ago when we talked about Ketamine. So after we talked he started tapering off of the SSRI in prep for the K. I want to clarify that this was not my suggestion to him, he decided that on his own. At this point PSSD was an afterthought compared to the anxiety. The Zoloft was also giving him tinnitus.

So around a week and a half ago he tapered from 75 to 50mg. Then waited a few days. Down to 25. He stayed at that a few days too until quitting fully 4 days ago. He noticed 3 days ago that sex was a bit better, and then 2 days ago he said he was back to that 90-100% he felt before, but this time it was STRONGER. He said he forgot how strong it can be. Also this time the sensitivity of the penis was back and erections came fast like the old days. Needless to say he and his wife have been putting it to good use the past 2 days. He's also terrified it will go away. He said however that this now is the best he's been since 2012 when he got PSSD. Like, it was good before when I posted, but this was BETTER.

So, that's the update. We have plans to actually meet up in real life soon and I can sit down with him and write up a few page doc that's PERFECT with details - assuming things last improvement wise.
Thanks a lot for the update Ghost. I'm glad your friend is feeling better and hope his improvement stays.
I look forward to more details and timeline when you two have the time to sit down, talk, and flesh out his story and medication.

Myself I'm going 6 years with PSSD and willing to give this low dosage SSRI a shot once we get even more info. Thanks again
north4

Unread post by north4 »

be carefull with low dose, at second time i get suicidal from paroxetin !
Whatsapp join https://thinfi.com/cck5 password: pssd
Facebook join https://www.facebook.com/groups/postssrisexdysfunction
https://youtu.be/BIVe6Uf5pn8

PLEASE REGISTER TO FORUM AND WRITE YOUR STORY - TAKE PART IN TRAIL AND ERROR
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

fablecloth wrote:
Ghost wrote: Funny you ask. I spoke with him today for a while and was going to post an update.

*snip*
Thanks for the update, Ghost!

Reinstatement of a SSRI... I await your write-up with horrid fascination! A few other people have reported benefits from reinstatement, so... perhaps there's something to this?

Would you ever consider trying reinstatement yourself? I've made small gains over the past couple of years, and I'd be very frightened of losing that.
I'd consider doing this myself some time myself. Probably when I have less going on in my life. It's hectic these days.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I spoke with my friend. Still cured. He is working on writing up something and even wants to help with some sort of Q+A or even talking to anyone interested over the phone or forum. He's doing great in nearly every aspect.

He's still busy but wants to work with the community to share his story in the best way possible.

I will share updates as I receive them.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Rb26dett

Unread post by Rb26dett »

north4 wrote:be carefull with low dose, at second time i get suicidal from paroxetin !
Have you tried to take Paroxetine again?
Wich dose?
Paroxetine from 11-2012 to 08-2018 never had sexual disfunction.
Added 5-htp for help with Paroxetine withdrawal, then I got severe PSSD, with altered hormones levels and CFS.
Symptoms worsened with time.
succubus76

Unread post by succubus76 »

Doesnt SERT was permanently downregulated? G-proteins decoupled? Less BDNF? Allopregnanolone? Anyway, good that he recover