PGAD on SSRI (Sertraline), and after and as withdrawal and tapering symptom

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
Kathrine

PGAD on SSRI (Sertraline), and after and as withdrawal and tapering symptom

Unread post by Kathrine »

Hi.

So, I have PGAD. It got worse after an overdose of Sertraline prescribed by a doctor, and serotenergic syndrome (which was of course diagnosed as bipolar due to my increased awareness of sex and my restlessness – I could hardly live in my own skin). Now, it comes every time I change my dose during tapering of Quetiapine, and unfortunately I have just yesterday had to go back into the Sertraline (only 1 mg), and the PGAD is really back. It has not ruined my marriage, but it would have, had it not been for husband's extreme patients and loyalty. It's been tough though.

I know, a lot of you are dealing with what would seem to be the opposite of this syndrome, but I do experience PGAD on the one hand and a numbness (so, no way of getting rid of the PGAD feeling) on the other. So, it is just constant...

I don't know if there's a place for me here, but I hope so as this is a problem people in the world just can't seem to grasp or relate to. It is lonely.
cyndaquil01

Re: PGAD on SSRI (Sertraline), and after and as withdrawal and tapering symptom

Unread post by cyndaquil01 »

Hey, I'm male but I suffer from something similar after discontinuing Sertraline (200mg) When I stopped taking it 2 year ago I suffered from spontaneous orgasms when I got an erection or sometimes when I tried to pee. This was a complete 180 from being unable to orgasm while taking them. Since then I've suffered from this and other pelvic floor dysfunction symptoms. It has gotten better but sexual function is non-existent. I know it's not the exact same thing but I think we can relate to each other a bit.
Kathrine

Unread post by Kathrine »

I think I can absolutely relate. Thank you for your reply. The worst thing was when I got 250 mg. and was "mechanically aroused" and unable to orgasm at one and the same time. I keep thinking: How can you do this to people? And why won't you listen to what we are saying once we ourselves figure it out? How can you live with yourself? I told my psychiatrist and she just sat there kinda shrugging one shoulder, and then... nothing. SO humiliating!
Determined-Mind

Unread post by Determined-Mind »

You're welcome here!

The brain is amazing...

The scientific literature points to sertraline as a possible treatment for PGAD https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35575043/ after being induced by lamotrigine.

Each drug may have the opposite effect in different people.

Perhaps some interesting information can be found here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=PGAD+
:arrow: You're looking for a cure or want to help the community? I've created an interactive table listing possible treatments for PSSD.

Feel free to contribute anonymously and share your experiences with different substances (+150 options)!