Fully recovered after 6 years

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Scout19

Fully recovered after 6 years

Unread post by Scout19 »

Hello everyone. I fully recovered from PSSD after 6 years. I recovered naturally through a windows/waves pattern. I did not do or take anything that caused me to recover. I took Citalopram for three years from 2014 to 2017. After I withdrew, I experienced brain fog and sexual dysfunction (no emotional anhedonia). I had muted orgasms, ED, and low sex drive.

During the first 3 years, I saw little improvement. However, very rarely I would get small windows lasting a few hours or a few days where my symptoms would substantially improve. Toward the end of the third year, I suddenly experienced a massive window that lasted 3-4 months. Then after that, I went into a deep wave that lasted a long time. The next year I had another massive window. At some point I started to realize my baseline was improving. I also noticed that my muted orgasms were completely resolved. However, I still experienced ED and low sex drive. Fortunately, over the last two years, both of these symptoms continued to improve.

I would now say that I am fully recovered from PSSD. I can’t tell if I’m in a window or wave anymore. Everything works the way it should. I never think about PSSD anymore. I hope this gives everyone some hope. I have no idea why I recovered while other people don’t. But I hope this at least shows that (natural) recovery is at least possible.
Wantmyclitorisback

Re: Fully recovered after 6 years

Unread post by Wantmyclitorisback »

Very pleased for you and thank you for letting us know.

Did you have sexual side effects on the drug or only after? Did you have any genital numbness?
Scout19

Unread post by Scout19 »

No I had no sexual side effects on the drug. I also didn't notice the sexual dysfunction until several months after I discontinued. I'm not sure if that's because I didn't notice the sexual dysfunction or the onset didn't occur until later. My guess it that it was the latter.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I did have genital numbness. This was actually the first symptom that got better. For whatever reason it mainly resolved within the first year. All of the other symptoms persisted for years afterward.
Titeuf

Unread post by Titeuf »

are you sure this isn't another recovery window like you experienced before, before another episode without? Of course, I don't wish that for you.
What I find strange is that you had no problem during treatment and that the symptoms appeared a long time later whereas very often we already have a low or even non-existent libido during treatment and the problems increase a few days after stopping treatment.
Do you have erections during the night?
Do you feel excited when you think about sex or see sex?
are you fantasizing again?
Did you find the lubrication?
what was your dosage of citalopram?
Scout19

Unread post by Scout19 »

It's not a window. I don't have windows/waves anymore.

It's not really that strange. Many people don't experience issues until withdrawal.

As I said, all of my functioning is back to normal.

40mg.
Titeuf

Unread post by Titeuf »

Thank you for answering.
Were you taking your adderall medication during citalopram and are you still taking it?
I had already thought about talking to my doctor about it to see if it couldn't help me regain my libido.
Scout19

Unread post by Scout19 »

Yes but I don’t take it anymore.
C12345

Unread post by C12345 »

Amazing news, thank you
vk13

Unread post by vk13 »

Amazing news.

COngratulations!
flexstar13

Unread post by flexstar13 »

Congrats. Reaching 5 years next months. Unfortunately I have crashed 2 years ago and never recovered. Windows are maybe every 6 months or so. Did you also suffer from genital changes such as shrinkage, discoloration and changes in consitency?