Naltrexone was the only thing that helped me at all

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
lookingforacure

Naltrexone was the only thing that helped me at all

Unread post by lookingforacure »

I feel bad that very few people here seem to have tried naltrexone. It’s the only thing I’ve taken that’s significantly permanently improved my PSSD symptoms. There are some studies that show that chronic naltrexone administration significantly sensitizes certain opioid receptors, and I hypothesize that this is what happened with me, although admittedly I know almost nothing about pharmacology. But I wish more people would try it- for their own sakes.
heymartinn

Re: Naltrexone was the only thing that helped me at all

Unread post by heymartinn »

interesting. What dose did you took? Was you PSSD caused by SSRI/SNRI?
lookingforacure

My pssd was caused by a combination of an ssri and lamictal. I took around 12.5 mg maybe twice a week for a couple of months (it’s in my post history).
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

Conversely I recall a case of someone using Tramadol.

I have it archived on my site: https://pssdlab.files.wordpress.com/201 ... rchive.pdf
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
lookingforacure

Why do you say conversely? Don’t they both significantly involve opioid receptors (specifically the MOR)?
lookingforacure

Please read the Wikipedia entry on the pharmacology behind Naltrexone’s mechanism of action; here is part of it, maybe it’s relevant.

Naltrexone and its active metabolite 6β-naltrexol are competitive antagonists of the opioid receptors.[77][78] Naltrexone is specifically an antagonist preferentially of the μ-opioid receptor (MOR), to a lesser extent of the κ-opioid receptor (KOR), and to a much lesser extent of the δ-opioid receptor (DOR).[77] However, naltrexone is not actually a silent antagonist of these receptors but instead acts as a weak partial agonist, with Emax values of 14 to 29% at the MOR, 16 to 39% at the KOR, and 14 to 25% at the DOR in different studies.[78][75][76] In accordance with its partial agonism, although naltrexone is described as a pure opioid receptor antagonist, it has shown some evidence of weak opioid effects in clinical and preclinical studies.[5]
krocius

Unread post by krocius »

Did it change your eating or drinking patterns? Did you start eating/drinking less/more or different while on it? I asked because naltrexone can be used as a treatment for binge eating disorder and i noticed some foods and overeating in general can make symptoms worse.
lookingforacure

Not that I noticed at all.
fellow1

Unread post by fellow1 »

lookingforacure wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:57 pm I feel bad that very few people here seem to have tried naltrexone. It’s the only thing I’ve taken that’s significantly permanently improved my PSSD symptoms. There are some studies that show that chronic naltrexone administration significantly sensitizes certain opioid receptors, and I hypothesize that this is what happened with me, although admittedly I know almost nothing about pharmacology. But I wish more people would try it- for their own sakes.
what about ED and libido? i tried nalt for short period it was making it worse initially, but i assume i shoul have taken it longer