5a-reductase inhibitor - good or bad?

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
vera2023

5a-reductase inhibitor - good or bad?

Unread post by vera2023 »

I am not so knowledgeable about the hypothesis thought to be behind PSSD, and have noticed that when going into details not everyone else is either.

Would being ”5a-reductase inhibitor” mean something could cause a risk or that it might be benecifial (thinking the main theory (?) explaining the cause of pssd would be correct)?

”Curcumin is a 5a-reductase inhibitor”
guacamo

Re: 5a-reductase inhibitor - good or bad?

Unread post by guacamo »

One of 5-a-reductase inhibitors named finasteride induces iatrogenic sexual dysfunction akin to PSSD, it's called "post-finasteride syndrome". Curcumin has complicated pharmacokinetics and pharmacology, i do not thing there is really analogy to finasteride when it comes to curcumin, but it is not pro-sexual supplement if you think in terms of this purpose. It may have little libido lowering effect even in healthy person (if you ask me i think underlying mechanism behind this is not 5-ar inhibition), not a big deal though, if you would like to take it having other benefits in mind like anti-inflammatory effects, but when it comes to PSSD, reaction to any supplement is hugely personal.

But the short answer is no, 5-a reductase inhibition is not beneficial.
shadowMan

Re: 5a-reductase inhibitor - good or bad?

Unread post by shadowMan »

the inhibition of 5ar, may not be the culprit of the syndrome, curcumin can have other implications. if you are talking about finasteride, keep distance, it is one of the trigger of the same syndrome as post ssri. keep distance from isotretinoin too, another trigger...

as guacamo said, reaction to any supplement or drug is very personal on us with post ssri because of the nature of the issue.