Advice please regarding reinstatement

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Darman

Advice please regarding reinstatement

Unread post by Darman »

Hi All

Well it's been over 4 years now off SSRIs and to try and cure my PSSD I have almost tried everything. I can't say anything has really helped. I have a very low libedo and pleasurless orgasms.

So unfortunately now my anxiety and OCD have become so bad I need to do something drastic. In the last few weeks I had become suicidal and was given antipsycotics, that I have now stopped.

I'm going to reinstate an SSRI. Now I have been on many and always recovered from them except for citalopram/escitalopram. I don't really know which one gave me PSSD because there wasn't a gap between them really to notice if I returned to normal.

So I thought I would go for citalopram. Now what dose should I start at? Some seen to have success here and of course I need to help my anxiety too but I though I could start low for a bit first? If so, how long should I try the initial dose for? Are we talking months?

Thanks
Jaxx

Re: Advice please regarding reinstatement

Unread post by Jaxx »

I am only able to give some general thoughts, based on the reports on the forum here over the years.
If you are depressed and even suicidal, seek professional help first. If you decide that medication is needed, do this under supervision too.
Going back on ssri’s has risks, there are plenty of people that worsened their pssd with it. But, some got relief or even got better. It seems very difficult to predict what will happen, but from what i can see the lucky ones that got better took it for months, sometimes even on a pretty high dose. (There are also examples of micro dosage but that wont help your depression).

My personal experience is that some other medications could be smoother than ssri’s and are potentially safer for pssd. For example parnate, moclobemide or other maoi’s.
There are some people that found relief with buspar and ssri combination, this could be a consideration too.

In any case, good luck and hope you can report back one day and share your experience!
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

Thanks Jaxs
I'll definitely report back with an update.
All the best
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

8 days now at 5mg citalopram. Everything worse TBH.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Thanks for the update. I would expect it to be worse short, or even mid term. Question is if it gets better after several months..
Impermanence

Unread post by Impermanence »

Darman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:29 am Hi All

Well it's been over 4 years now off SSRIs and to try and cure my PSSD I have almost tried everything. I can't say anything has really helped. I have a very low libedo and pleasurless orgasms.

So unfortunately now my anxiety and OCD have become so bad I need to do something drastic. In the last few weeks I had become suicidal and was given antipsycotics, that I have now stopped.

I'm going to reinstate an SSRI. Now I have been on many and always recovered from them except for citalopram/escitalopram. I don't really know which one gave me PSSD because there wasn't a gap between them really to notice if I returned to normal.

So I thought I would go for citalopram. Now what dose should I start at? Some seen to have success here and of course I need to help my anxiety too but I though I could start low for a bit first? If so, how long should I try the initial dose for? Are we talking months?

Thanks
Why don't you try Vortioxetine 10mg?
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

Never tried that one. If the citalopram doesn't work I'll look into it, thanks.