Bupropion-induced PSSD

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
bupropioninducedPSSD

Bupropion-induced PSSD

Unread post by bupropioninducedPSSD »

Hi all.

I'm a 38 yo woman here with, as you might have guessed form the username, Wellbutrin-induced PSSD. I saw Bupropion/Wellbutrin recommended in the "Treatment Plan" post that is pinned to the top of the forum and wasn't able to reply, so I thought I'd make a new post to discuss. That post also suggested that 25-35 yo men are more likely to get PSSD...a questionable 'side note' that seems to me to indicate only that the population of this forum doesn't reflect the average population that might suffer from PSSD. I'd suggest we shouldn't assume that all genders and ages would be equally represented here and avoid drawing conclusions from what is likely a biased sample (ie. people who poke around enough online to find a forum like this).

I found this forum tonight, over a year after quitting a Wellbutrin, several months after a breakup with someone who I thought was the cause of my inability to orgasm. Upon further reflection and experimentation with new partners, I realized that the sexual issues all came within two weeks of starting Wellbutrin. This also coincided with the new relationship, hence my confusion (should the title of my post be 'correlation does not equal causation?'), but it helps me see clearly that it's not at all "in my head" since I had no inkling that Wellbutrin was the culprit until recently. In any case, we're all dealing with a devastating and complicated neurochemical equations that don't match one person to the next, but I thought it worth posting about, as one person's cure can be another's cause.

On that note, I have a few questions:

1) Are there real *long term* success stories that have come from Wellbutrin use, including *after* discontinuation of Wellbutrin? Or are the success stories only those who are currently taking wellbutrin (assumedly forevermore)?

In my own experience, the feeling of speeding on Wellbutrin was enough for me to ignore the subpar sexual side effects and it was only after discontinuing the meds that I really was able to think clearly enough to put two and two together (that is, the onset of shitty orgasms and the start of wellbutrin). Yes, Wellbutrin increased my libido, but that doesn't come close to outweighing the potentially permanent side effects. Being horny all the time does not make up for the inability to get the relief of a good orgasm.

2) Are there any women out there who have Wellbutrin-induced PSSD? If so, have any treatments worked? Advice for someone only now coming to face this situation?
sylv

Re: Bupropion-induced PSSD

Unread post by sylv »

I just argued recently on bupropion here : viewtopic.php?p=47601#p47601

From everything connected to PSSD it's evident that all psychoactive substances cause long lasting effects. Especially other antidepressants. Doesn't mean the biology is the same behind each drug induced condition.

Give it a time for drug induced changes to fade away. At least a few months before you start taking anything. Be careful with treatments recommendations to not cause further issues.
bupropioninducedPSSD

Re: Bupropion-induced PSSD

Unread post by bupropioninducedPSSD »

Thanks for getting back to me. I have seen studies on both sides (both showing no effect on orgasms and some showing positive effects...though I haven't looked into who funded those studies). I am skeptical because I know without much of a doubt, since the only change I made prior to PSSD was Wellbutrin, that it has seriously caused long-term damage that I don't know if I can ever reverse. So I would never recommend the drug to anyone unless they're willing to roll the dice on whether they'll ever experience satisfying orgasms again.

For me, it's been nearly a year and a half since I stopped Wellbutrin, so quite a bit of time has passed for drug-induced changes to fade away. I hope and pray it will get better with time.

Has anyone out there recovered from Wellbutrin-induced PSSD? Any spreadsheets made by this community to allow us to document cause, treatment and effect for streamlined data?