Extremely interesting and relevant case study. Could PSSD be related to Serotonin Syndrome?

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Terabithia

Extremely interesting and relevant case study. Could PSSD be related to Serotonin Syndrome?

Unread post by Terabithia »

https://www.neurologyindia.com/article. ... st=Prakash

Whatever mechanism caused this man to experience his symptoms for a prolonged period of time could also be the mechanism that causes us to experience PSSD. He was also on SSRI medication except as far as we know his symptoms weren’t PSSD related . It’s almost like SSRI’s have the ability to remove a time limit for symptoms especially in young men (the man was 28 in the case study). He was helped with Cyproheptadine so the researchers automatically assumed he was suffering from a prolonged bout of serotonin syndrome but I suspect there is a different mechanism at play here.

SSRI’s usually cause temporary sexual side effects but given a specific criteria they also have the capacity to extend the side effects indefinitely. Perhaps the fact that the side effects are related to sexual dysfunction are a coincidence in that if the SSRI’s caused your face to turn blue temporarily for example then we’d all be suffering from permanent blue face. Basically what I’m saying is that I think we should treat these two factors separately, namely the mechanism for the SSRI to extend side effects indefinitely and the side effect itself. This could explain why people complain of other persistent side effects along with the sexual dysfunction.

It’s like the SSRI puts our brain on pause and we can’t change the channel from the state we were in when we were on the SSRI. So the emotional numbness and sexual dysfunction stay with us because our brains are stuck in that mode due to some mechanism that Cyproheptadine is able to counteract.

It’s almost as though serotonin encodes the memory of our SSRI experience and so long as there is serotonin in our synapses, our brains will relive and stay stuck in that loop. Maybe the SERT transporter does more than just shuttle away serotonin. Maybe it also erases whatever was encoded in the memory of the molecule so that we can’t move onto a fresh page but are always stuck.

I know everything I’m saying is very ambiguous and unscientific but I really feel like there is some kind of connection here that we should look into further.
Terabithia

Re: Extremely interesting and relevant case study. Could PSSD be related to Serotonin Syndrome?

Also I have been taking Cyproheptadine everyday and have seen notable improvements. I waver between 50% and 100% depending on the day. I used to have 0% function after taking SJW for a couple weeks (before this I was fine for the most part).

I am going to increase the frequency of Cyproheptadine to 4mg 3x a day.
ElaineBenes5

Re: Extremely interesting and relevant case study. Could PSSD be related to Serotonin Syndrome?

Unread post by ElaineBenes5 »

This is speaking to me...
I know that I am experiencing a high serotonin state in PSSD. Emotional anesthesia and sexual dysfunction. Lethargy. Avolition. Abulia. Anhedonia. Etc.

I have also pondered if the issue is not the SYMPTOMS of PSSD, but something that is STUCK. Your point about coding could be fruitful. Perhaps that would be where epigentics play a role. SSRI's have conditioned our neurons/synapses/whatever to function in that altered state perpetually.

PSSD for many does manifest as a high serotonin state, myself included. I feel as though I have mild serotonin syndrome all the time. Restlessnes, insomnia, confusion/cognitive issues, twitches. PSSD as a chronic, mild, yet debilitating form of Serotonin Syndrome.

Perhaps this is the case for at least some PSSD patients, if not all.

So what do we do? How do we trail this in a clinical study? I am sick of people experimenting on themselves, there is no reason why there can't be a clinical trial of Acute Tryptophan Depletion and/or Cyproheptadine to address root causes of PSSD.
Katana

Unread post by Katana »

If there are drugs that suppresses serotonin production why not use that to see if the pssd improves till the serotonin production is supressed?

We have no idea what happened may be it might take century to figure out at this rate.
First FDA has yet to approve this situation second pharma companies dont want people to know about his , they don't want to admit, if they did their medicines wont be sold .
We are minority and in the capitalist world we are doomed.
Terabithia

Katana wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 am If there are drugs that suppresses serotonin production why not use that to see if the pssd improves till the serotonin production is supressed?

We have no idea what happened may be it might take century to figure out at this rate.
First FDA has yet to approve this situation second pharma companies dont want people to know about his , they don't want to admit, if they did their medicines wont be sold .
We are minority and in the capitalist world we are doomed.
I’ve been taking Cyproheptadine for the past couple weeks and have seen a marked improvement in symptoms.
Terabithia

5ht2a receptors are critical for learned fear responses and 5ht2a antagonists can be used to normalize fear response and even for fear extinction. This could indicate that pathways are being overwritten/ erased. Imagine our normal pathway states as a river flowing with well defined banks on either side. But we were introduced to an overflow of serotonin and the river flooded leaving the banks of the river muddied and no longer defined. Even after the serotonin is removed and the river goes back to its normal state, the river banks are still left muddy and blurred. This leads me to believe that PSSD sufferers were low serotonin individuals that had well developed and defined pathways for sexual release and after being flooded with serotonin those pathways were normalized and became blurry. This would also explain how permanent fear extinction could happen through the same mechanism. It’s almost like introducing amnesia to select pathways in the brain that were extremely finely tuned to begin with which would explain why it was mostly hyper sexual individuals that are affected. Our sexual gratification pathways were in the 99th percentile and that was our baseline but after normalization we were knocked down to the 50th percentile and to us that feels like a massive difference. Serotonin acts in the brain like an eraser and it blurs all the finely tuned and sensitive pathways our brains used for sexual gratification. We spent over 10 years building these pathways through repetitive patterns and behaviour and within the course of taking a few pills the pathways were blurred out or even erased. This would also explain why some people seem to change sexual preferences or not be attracted to what they were always attracted to. It’s as though we unlearned our preferences. We quite literally do not possess the same brains that we used to before starting the SSRI. My theory is that SSRI’s are pathway normalizers. It’s like our sexual gratification and hyper sexuality was borderline OCD and the drugs just normalized it. Because of this we are no longer extremely sensitive individuals in any regard.
Katana

Unread post by Katana »

This is why i have Vivis dreams all night?
HzeTmy

Unread post by HzeTmy »

Terabithia wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am 5ht2a receptors are critical for learned fear responses and 5ht2a antagonists can be used to normalize fear response and even for fear extinction. This could indicate that pathways are being overwritten/ erased. Imagine our normal pathway states as a river flowing with well defined banks on either side. But we were introduced to an overflow of serotonin and the river flooded leaving the banks of the river muddied and no longer defined. Even after the serotonin is removed and the river goes back to its normal state, the river banks are still left muddy and blurred. This leads me to believe that PSSD sufferers were low serotonin individuals that had well developed and defined pathways for sexual release and after being flooded with serotonin those pathways were normalized and became blurry. This would also explain how permanent fear extinction could happen through the same mechanism. It’s almost like introducing amnesia to select pathways in the brain that were extremely finely tuned to begin with which would explain why it was mostly hyper sexual individuals that are affected. Our sexual gratification pathways were in the 99th percentile and that was our baseline but after normalization we were knocked down to the 50th percentile and to us that feels like a massive difference. Serotonin acts in the brain like an eraser and it blurs all the finely tuned and sensitive pathways our brains used for sexual gratification. We spent over 10 years building these pathways through repetitive patterns and behaviour and within the course of taking a few pills the pathways were blurred out or even erased. This would also explain why some people seem to change sexual preferences or not be attracted to what they were always attracted to. It’s as though we unlearned our preferences. We quite literally do not possess the same brains that we used to before starting the SSRI. My theory is that SSRI’s are pathway normalizers. It’s like our sexual gratification and hyper sexuality was borderline OCD and the drugs just normalized it. Because of this we are no longer extremely sensitive individuals in any regard.
Well explained it makes sense ...