Foods containing serotonergic herbs? Can it make you crash?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Gonzo

Foods containing serotonergic herbs? Can it make you crash?

Unread post by Gonzo »

I don't know if this is paranoia or not, but after 2 bad crashes, I'm really scared of everything. 2 crashes that sent me back to square 1, after having a lot of gains and recovery, it's really frustrating.
(BTW I didn't crash from food, just to clarify)

While researching the stupid herb that made me crash the second time (herb with ssri like effect) I read in a local study that another herb, Salvia rosmarinus or "rosemary" also acts by inhibiting serotonin reuptake. The problem is that I've realized that rosemary is added to many foods that you buy in the supermarket, at least in my country, like chicken, pasta, etc.

Now I read the ingredients of everything I eat, and avoid everything that contains rosemary.

What do you guys think? Is there really potential to cause damage in foods?
Numby

Re: Foods containing serotonergic herbs? Can it make you crash?

Unread post by Numby »

No, there’s no potential to crash from things like rosemary in food. Don’t be worried. You can eat all food including herbs.
Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo »

Numby wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:05 am No, there’s no potential to crash from things like rosemary in food. Don’t be worried. You can eat all food including herbs.
What would be the reason or the difference? I mean, I'm pretty sure a rosemary extract, pill or tea most likely could crash me.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

Well, if you “believe” in it, anything can cause a crash. I’ve had PSSD for 15 years now: no window, no crash. I eat whatever I want and I’m fine. You don’t crash from normal food, tea or things like that. A lot of people who suffer from PSSD are so scared that they overthink things and are scared of normal things in life. It just makes you more miserable. Try and take your mind off the topic and you’ll feel much better. Stay away from supplements and experimental drugs, these are far more dangerous than things like rosemary.
Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo »

Numby wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:07 pm Well, if you “believe” in it, anything can cause a crash. I’ve had PSSD for 15 years now: no window, no crash. I eat whatever I want and I’m fine. You don’t crash from normal food, tea or things like that. A lot of people who suffer from PSSD are so scared that they overthink things and are scared of normal things in life. It just makes you more miserable. Try and take your mind off the topic and you’ll feel much better. Stay away from supplements and experimental drugs, these are far more dangerous than things like rosemary.
I don't agree in couple of things. I believe that drugs and medications are more studied than herbs, so the mechanism of action is better understood and there is more information.
I have pssd since 2003, and I was able to recover to a decent degree thanks to a mix of medications and supplements well known to improve pssd. That was until I took an anthistamine that crashed me BAD, back to square 1. Then I found out that the anthistamine was actually an SSRI
Recovery process started again, I was having good gains again and then the stupid herb, Melissa officinalis crashed me as bad as an SSRI! I lost everything again, for real, this is not bs. Then I found out that Melissa is a serotonergic antidepressant. This is what happens when you are not scared in life about pssd and just take "normal" things without thinking twice snd without fear. I wasn't paranoid by that time and I ended up crashing twice!
So trust me, there's a lot of reasons to be scared of herbs, specially if studies says it acts as an SSRI.
Now in food, I'm not sure the herbs keep it's biológical effects, I i don't know.... That's my doubt.
My pssd brain is extremely fragile, 1 wrong pills or herb will send me back to the beginning, losing years of hard earned improvement.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

If you have the answer to your question already, I don’t really understand why you ask people for advice.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

P.S. I’m of course talking about normal amounts of herbs like a teaspoon or so. If you eat really large amounts then herbs can of course have a therapeutic effect which - in the case of PSSD - can affect your symptoms positively or negatively.
Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo »

Numby wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:58 pm P.S. I’m of course talking about normal amounts of herbs like a teaspoon or so. If you eat really large amounts then herbs can of course have a therapeutic effect which - in the case of PSSD - can affect your symptoms positively or negatively.
I don't have the answer! Btw english is not my native lenguaje so it's not perfect.
I just meant, in my case for example, it would be impossible to improve pssd without experimenting with drugs and supplements, unfortunately.
So about the herbs, you say its the amount / dosage what could make the differenxe?
Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo »

Around 2017, my girlfriend gave me some 100% natural herb melissa, in a jar. I took a lot of it, many days (the whole jar actually within some months), a teaspoon in every dose and it didn't affect me at all! (I have pssd since 2003)
Then, years later, I was looking for some Melissa again so I tried a different type, branded melissa, which came in tea bag (every dose), but it also said it contains only natural melissa. This time ONE tea bag of melissa was enough to give me the worse crash, just like an SSRI, and permanent. I still wonder why it happened with some type of melissa and non with other, i couldn't explain, it burns my brain. I just thought it was my pssd reacting different and getting more sensitive over the years.
So the answer may probably be what you are saying and the second herb that I tried was much more powerful? Like a concentrated extract maybe? That's interesting.