Sexual anhedonia

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
emu567

Sexual anhedonia

Unread post by emu567 »

Hi,
I’m a 26 year old student . I have been hearing voices for the past 3 years . They are loud derogatory unpleasant and nasty.
I was prescribed mirtazapine and clopixol for the voices and depression.
I have noticed over the last year that I have put on loads of weight ( 3 stones in 6 months!) and become more and more numb .
I have a very low sex drive and cannot feel pleasure from physical touch or sex . I used to be able to orgasm and enjoy sex but now I barely feel any pleasure. I just feel completely cold. I’m also not attracted to anyone anymore.
This is new for me. My sex drive has always been lower but the antipsychotic/ antidepressant has completely destroyed it . Ive stopped taking the antidepressant and antipsychotic but still a month after the pleasure hasn’t returned
I find this lack of pleasure to be distressing, it also makes me resentful and jealous. I feel it is very unfair as a 26 year old to lose all feeling
Does anyone have any advice on how to cure this?
Flo

Re: Sexual anhedonia

Unread post by Flo »

Hi Emu, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing. Take heart, 1-month is still a short time to have sexual dysfunction after stopping the drugs and things may still right themselves. Live as healthily as you can and take care of yourself emotionally in the meantime. If you can exercise, this is supposed to be helpful and may help you with the medication-weight, and just make you feel better.
I wish you all the best,
Flo
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

emu567 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:27 am Hi,
I’m a 26 year old student . I have been hearing voices for the past 3 years . They are loud derogatory unpleasant and nasty.
I was prescribed mirtazapine and clopixol for the voices and depression.
I have noticed over the last year that I have put on loads of weight ( 3 stones in 6 months!) and become more and more numb .
I have a very low sex drive and cannot feel pleasure from physical touch or sex . I used to be able to orgasm and enjoy sex but now I barely feel any pleasure. I just feel completely cold. I’m also not attracted to anyone anymore.
This is new for me. My sex drive has always been lower but the antipsychotic/ antidepressant has completely destroyed it . Ive stopped taking the antidepressant and antipsychotic but still a month after the pleasure hasn’t returned
I find this lack of pleasure to be distressing, it also makes me resentful and jealous. I feel it is very unfair as a 26 year old to lose all feeling
Does anyone have any advice on how to cure this?
Hi emu567,

Have you filled out an RxISK report? That should help give you a better idea if your symptoms are consistent with PSSD or other side effects caused by the drugs that you took.
emu567

Unread post by emu567 »

Hi,
Things have got worse since I posted the original message . I now struggle to feel pleasure from eating , bathing sex and massage . I have tried drinking alcohol but that just makes me depressed . Does anyone have any advice on how to regain pleasure or heal damaged dopamine receptors? I am at my wits end
emu567

Unread post by emu567 »

I miss having an orgasm . I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to have one again
ErinBush

Unread post by ErinBush »

Hi.
It's good that you've stopped taking the medications, but it's important to do so under the guidance of a healthcare professional, as abruptly stopping certain medications can lead to withdrawal symptoms and potential health risks.

It's also important to note that sexual dysfunction can take time to resolve even after stopping the medication. It's not uncommon for it to take several weeks or even months for sexual function to return to baseline.

There are several options that may help improve sexual function:

Talk to your healthcare provider about alternative medications that may have fewer sexual side effects. There are many different types of antidepressants and antipsychotics, and some may be less likely to cause sexual dysfunction.

Consider working with a therapist or counselor who specializes in sexual dysfunction. They can help you identify any psychological factors that may be contributing to the problem and develop coping strategies to improve sexual function.

Practice self-care techniques such as regular exercise, healthy diet, and stress reduction techniques like mindfulness meditation or yoga. These can help improve overall physical and mental health, which can in turn improve sexual function.

Consider working with a sex therapist who can provide specific techniques and exercises to improve sexual function.
emu567

Unread post by emu567 »

I am in so much pain . I cant feel pleasure from anything I do . I am completely pleasureless . I just feel this burning ache in my head . I cannot live my life or live a fulfilling one without my pleasure. I am completely empty . It is causing me depression .
emu567

Unread post by emu567 »

Hi ,
Just an update . I am still struggling to feel pleasure from sex and massage and eating months after I have stopped the medication . This is making me feel very sad as I am unable to have a relationship until this is fixed . I can’t have sex therefore I am not interested in having a relationship as I am not prepared to put myself through the discomfort and headache every time I have sex . I refuse to fake it. Because of this I have been celibate for over a year . I feel like a huge part of my life is missing
emu567

Unread post by emu567 »

Hi,
I am still struggling with the anhedonia when I have sex. I was cuddling with my on and off again boyfriend last week when I felt this intense discomfort inside my head . I couldn’t feel pleasure from the physical intimacy. I find this frustrating as it means I can’t have sex with my boyfriend as it isn’t enjoyable, never mind orgasm. I find this upsetting as it means I can’t have a sex life
emu567

Unread post by emu567 »

I mean I can live without sex I just don’t think it’s very fair on me at the age of 27 to lose all my sexual pleasure and drive . It makes me angry and frustrated