Are there recovery stories after several years?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Sofa

Are there recovery stories after several years?

Unread post by Sofa »

Are there any stories of people what took years to recover?

I am six months out, but have only had worsening symptoms since my reaction.

Worse orgasms, worse sexual anhedonia and worse overall anhedonia, emotional numbness and cognitive function.
Ykatan

Re: Are there recovery stories after several years?

Unread post by Ykatan »

I also suffer for 6 months and there is no improvement, today the penis did not stand at all, hold on bro
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

I’m sorry to hear about your situations. According to Dr. David Healy, there are no recovery stories. People post on online forums saying that they recovered but can never prove they actually had the condition and their methods never work for others with PSSD. However, Dr. Healy is now starting to fund research, which might one day lead to a cure. Also, the PFS network is funding research for a similar condition, which might also lead to a cure for PSSD.

By the way, have you guys filled out RxISK reports?
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

There are several recovery stories, ghost took the time to log them here viewtopic.php?t=2423

I am not sure if Healy indeed denies these recoveries, but i wouldnt put too much value on his views anyway.
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

Jaxx wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:01 pm There are several recovery stories, ghost took the time to log them here viewtopic.php?t=2423

I am not sure if Healy indeed denies these recoveries, but i wouldnt put too much value on his views anyway.
Here’s what Healy says, but note that it’s from a 2014 blog post so he might have heard of a recovery story since then.

“ Over the years however as none of those I’ve had contact with have recovered, I have personally changed my mind and come to the view that PSSD is more like tardive dyskinesia – a Tardive DysErotica – does anyone have a better word? Just as with TD, the norm is that people do not shake off the problem. But as with TD in a number of cases there can be improvement. In some cases when I ask those with PSSD who say they’ve improved where they would score themselves on a scale from 0 being as bad as it gets to 10 being normal, they have offered figures like 2 or 3.
This points to something else. Some people do recover in the sense of being able to rise above the problem and not be defined by it. In the sense of being able to get on with their lives – in this sense some people recover from cancer or tardive dyskinesia.
There can also be some physical improvements as our Recovery Story above shows. These improvements, it has seemed to me, have been more likely to happen in people who are physically and mentally active – as the individual above is and one or two others have been.
If people with problems that have endured for months or years, problems that include genital anesthesia, make a full or substantial recovery please let us know – there is a lot of people out there would love to hear from you.”

https://rxisk.org/recovering-from-pssd/
ElaineBenes5

Unread post by ElaineBenes5 »

Yea there are multiple recovery stories after years. I have been in touch with a few people directly who recovered markedly after number of years. I don’t put faith in Healy as his entire career depends on doomsday, which prevents him from being taken seriously even though this issue needs to be taken seriously. He’s right about a lot, but goes about it in such an unhealthy and histrionic way- I don’t listen to him anymore 🤷🏻‍♀️. I’d argue more people fell into depression and attempted unhealthy things as a result of things he’s said than he’s saved.
Flo

Unread post by Flo »

Absolutely! Take a look at r/pssd, r/pssdhealing and survivingantidepressants.org

I was deeply alarmed when I first realised what was happening, and the first information I came across was on RXISK which was a traumatising experience - I recommend not reading the site until more is known about the condition. Much reading later, and discussions with people with the condition, I am utterly convinced that it does get better, albeit, slowly (years). I believe that a minority have this very long term and perhaps these make up a larger proportion of people who have contacted Dr Healy for help.

The recovery trajectory seems to vary. Some people seem to have windows and gradual improvement, but some people have nothing at all for years and then it changes, and some people seem to experience sudden complete recovery.

The truth is that, until there is research into this matter, we won't know for certain. Despite his gloomy outlook, Dr Healy is a hero - he has done more than most to raise awareness and to get the research ball rolling - just maybe avoid his site until you are feeling resiliant enough for his personal opinions.
ElaineBenes5

Unread post by ElaineBenes5 »

This is one of the most harmful posts I’ve seen. It’s unspecific and doomsday. She didn’t say what she was doing, if it was a supplement or additional meds that was causing continuing crashes or lifestyle. Ask that instead of saying someone is going to wind up with an anesthetized body and permanent akathasia. This comment alone is nuts and the last straw. I’m off this forum. The only two people who are active on it are the people who posted here in this thread and you’re freaking nuts. Good luck bros.
Flo

Unread post by Flo »

Sylv, you're just plain wrong. This is not the case with PSSD and people do recover naturally. I've not seen anyone just deteriorate - that's absolute rubbish.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

ElaineBenes5 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:29 pm ... I don’t put faith in Healy as his entire career depends on doomsday, which prevents him from being taken seriously even though this issue needs to be taken seriously. He’s right about a lot, but goes about it in such an unhealthy and histrionic way- I don’t listen to him anymore 🤷🏻‍♀️. I’d argue more people fell into depression and attempted unhealthy things as a result of things he’s said than he’s saved.
Well said, most of his posts sounds like dangerous doomsday sensationalism to sell his books and give interviews to the media. I have met people that were doing well even taking meds, but quit after reading Healy's blog. Then it was a self fulfilling prophecy that almost cost a life, a psychiatric hospitalization was needed to bring some life back.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)