Are there any biochemical explanations as to why some develop PSSD only after withdrawal?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
pssdperson

Are there any biochemical explanations as to why some develop PSSD only after withdrawal?

Unread post by pssdperson »

symptoms I had during zoloft:
decreased libido, decreased sensation, inability to cry

symptoms after quitting:
the above plus: severe anhedonia, severe fatigue, cognitive impairment, endocrine disruptions(high insluin, hypothyroid, high cortisol), severe alterations to my menstrual cycle, weight gain, anorgasmia, female form of premature ejaculation, anxiety, sewicidal thoughts, irritability, among others

does anyone have any explanations why would these happen? I don't understand why the effect is worse after quitting the drug... makes little sense to me
Darman

Re: Are there any biochemical explanations as to why some develop PSSD only after withdrawal?

Unread post by Darman »

Absolutely. I suppose that's the big question. I have read many explanations on this site but I don't think there is a definitive answer as yet.
arahant

Re: Are there any biochemical explanations as to why some develop PSSD only after withdrawal?

Unread post by arahant »

pssdperson wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:17 pm Are there any biochemical explanations as to why some develop PSSD only after withdrawal?

symptoms after quitting:
the above plus: severe anhedonia, severe fatigue, cognitive impairment, endocrine disruptions(high insluin, hypothyroid, high cortisol), severe alterations to my menstrual cycle, weight gain, anorgasmia, female form of premature ejaculation, anxiety, sewicidal thoughts, irritability, among others

does anyone have any explanations why would these happen? I don't understand why the effect is worse after quitting the drug... makes little sense to me
The list of symptoms you listed is also seem in lots of other issues, based on the amount of posts you flooded this forum recently looking for reassurance, even anxiety worsening, borderlining panic afer googling symptoms and "theories" , might explain you putting yourself in overdrive.

You would better talk to a doctor and get out of the internet. There's treatments that doesn't give you low libido, decreased sensation and inability to cry.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
andy013

Unread post by andy013 »

arahant wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:43 pm You would better talk to a doctor and get out of the internet. There's treatments that doesn't give you low libido, decreased sensation and inability to cry.
Yeah, talk to a doctor...I'm sure that will help /s

They have brain damage from an SSRI, doctors don't even believe this exists. Talking to them will just end you up on some other poison.
pssdperson

arahant wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:43 pm
pssdperson wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:17 pm Are there any biochemical explanations as to why some develop PSSD only after withdrawal?

symptoms after quitting:

The list of symptoms you listed is also seem in lots of other issues, based on the amount of posts you flooded this forum recently looking for reassurance, even anxiety worsening, borderlining panic afer googling symptoms and "theories" , might explain you putting yourself in overdrive.

You would better talk to a doctor and get out of the internet. There's treatments that doesn't give you low libido, decreased sensation and inability to cry.
The heck are you talking about?? I’m not looking for any “reassurance” LMAO, unlike you, I’m interested in understanding the effects SSRIs have in the whole organism. My symptoms are not caused by putting myself in panic…. I’ve had them since before I even knew what SSRIs did…. You seem like you really don’t understand who PSSD works and how severe it can be for many people. Many people crash after stopping the meds. I’ve had enough gaslighting with doctors I don’t need more coming from you, maybe anxiety is indeed the reason you dick doesn’t work… but don’t try to imply it’s the same for others…. I was literally diagnosed with withdrawals syndrome and neurotoxicity caused by SSRIs. Maybe you should start reading some of the research I “flooded” the forum with (3 studies LMAO)
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

pssdperson wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:44 pm

symptoms after quitting:

The heck are you talking about?? I’m not looking for any “reassurance” LMAO, unlike you, I’m interested in understanding the effects SSRIs have in the whole organism. My symptoms are not caused by putting myself in panic…. I’ve had them since before I even knew what SSRIs did…. You seem like you really don’t understand who PSSD works and how severe it can be for many people. Many people crash after stopping the meds. I’ve had enough gaslighting with doctors I don’t need more coming from you, maybe anxiety is indeed the reason you dick doesn’t work… but don’t try to imply it’s the same for others…. I was literally diagnosed with withdrawals syndrome and neurotoxicity caused by SSRIs. Maybe you should start reading some of the research I “flooded” the forum with (3 studies LMAO)
The list of symptoms you had on Zoloft seems nothing when compared to list you have not taking it. This is not gaslighting, that's your own words. It sounded you were better taking that, and why the hell you got that prescribed to begin with? I doubt it was recreationally.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
pssdperson

arahant wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:22 pm
pssdperson wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:44 pm

The list of symptoms you had on Zoloft seems nothing when compared to list you have not taking it. This is not gaslighting, that's your own words. It sounded you were better taking that, and why the hell you got that prescribed to begin with? I doubt it was recreationally.
I literally developed complete genital anesthesia on Zoloft and complete loss of sexual desire… also anorgasmia, and it never resolved. If I had a dick, I’ll also have had ED. That’s literally PSSD. It’s only that it got worse after stopping/ crashing. This is a very common occurrence in people with PSSD and PFS. I was prescribed because of excessive stress from school and work not even depression or a mental illness, I had excellent physical health. Also, it’s widely known that adverse reactions can happen when you start, change dose, or stop a drug, it doesn’t have to happen when you start. Tardive akathisia, withdrawal syndrome and even SSRI induced sexual dysfunction that happens until stopping are common occurrences. My symptoms match exactly those of SSRI withdrawal/ damage and they happen as soon as I started Zoloft and got worse as soon as I was cold turkeyed, literally overnight, I’m sure my problem is PSSD and honestly I’m not gonna debate that with a random person online.
Katana

Unread post by Katana »

I think those get pssd after withdrawal wpuld get cured by time passes. It is just like drug dependency and with time you will get fine.

Jut like when you take antihistamines and later after you stop, histamines surge and with time they decrease. Same i guess
6-Eggs!

Unread post by 6-Eggs! »

Yeah ^ PWS is much more common that I first thought and the PSSD symptoms are just part of that and I personally don't see or think of either being mutually exclusive. It just takes time for the CNS to re-adapt to being non drug dependent just like any other illicit drug.

As with anything a person takes, some people can quit without issues or have no effect to something they take like was the case for most psych meds I took. Others react badly.

As for why, there isn't enough research but a wild guess of mine is those that react badly could be non neuotypical which I know I am. My partner quit escitalopram after about 5 years of use and only had the usual withdrawals for about 6 weeks and has been fine since. Her sexual function improved but never knew it was effected in the first place as it was mild enough not for her to notice. But she has orgasms far stronger at times than she ever had in her life and I have noticed her lubrication is more quantity and thicker (less watery) than when she was on the med but even with the med she was far better in those regards than other women I'd been with in the past so I didn't even know she was effected.

She is pretty neurotypical and one thing she told me is when she tried LSD for the first time as a once off, nothing happened so double doses and still nothing.

As for me, one beer and I'm off my face so I rarely drink and hate the idea of drugs in general. Even mundane meltonin I react severely and feel like I have been poisoned.

When I quit over 8 weeks or so, all hell broke loose and ended in hospital 5 times since last year but I am getting there. Even though I still have SD on and off it's not too bad now and not a worry any more as it's continuously getting better even as I continue to taper poly-drugs, it's the other physical symptoms that bother me more now, like sensory noise, (tactile, auditory, visual, positional etc...)

Oh and one thing I have noticed, people who focus on overall PWS and not so much the PSSD specific symptoms quickly learn that they need to give time, good mental hygiene, good physical health hygiene and staying drug free, all recover as that is one of the biggest advise given to people that have PWS (stay away from drugs/meds!) They typically take 2-4 years give or take for full recovery.

Seems most that only fixate on PSSD try fixing it by trying more drugs and round they go. The CNS can never heal if you keep changing it's biochemical environment, especially when it's super sensitized after withdrawal.