Serotonin transporter deficiency drives estrogen-dependent obesity and glucose intolerance

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
pssdperson

Serotonin transporter deficiency drives estrogen-dependent obesity and glucose intolerance

Unread post by pssdperson »

Depression and use of antidepressant medications are both associated with increased risk of obesity, potentially attributed to a reduced serotonin transporter (SERT) function. However, how SERT deficiency promotes obesity is unknown. Here, we demonstrated that SERT −/− mice display abnormal fat accumulation in both white and brown adipose tissues, glucose intolerance and insulin resistance while exhibiting suppressed aromatase (Cyp19a1) expression and reduced circulating 17β-estradiol levels. 17β-estradiol replacement in SERT −/− mice reversed the obesity and glucose intolerance, supporting a role for estrogen in SERT deficiency-associated obesity and glucose intolerance. Treatment of wild type mice with paroxetine, a chemical inhibitor of SERT, also resulted in Cyp19a1 suppression, decreased circulating 17β-estradiol levels, abnormal fat accumulation, and glucose intolerance. Such effects were not observed in paroxetine-treated SERT −/− mice. Conversely, pregnant SERT −/− mice displayed normalized estrogen levels, markedly reduced fat accumulation, and improved glucose tolerance, which can be eliminated by an antagonist of estrogen receptor α (ERα). Together, these findings support that estrogen suppression is involved in SERT deficiency-induced obesity and glucose intolerance, and suggest approaches to restore 17β-estradiol levels as a novel treatment option for SERT deficiency associated obesity and metabolic abnormalities.
Jaxx

Re: Serotonin transporter deficiency drives estrogen-dependent obesity and glucose intolerance

Unread post by Jaxx »

Please group your messages in one topic or elaborate on it if you want to start a specific discussion. We cannot post all serotonin-related research in a new topic without creating forum-chaos.
pssdperson

Re: Serotonin transporter deficiency drives estrogen-dependent obesity and glucose intolerance

Jaxx wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:36 pm Please group your messages in one topic or elaborate on it if you want to start a specific discussion. We cannot post all serotonin-related research in a new topic without creating forum-chaos.
noted, I will group the research
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

I posted similar research that shows sert loss increases high insulin. There's no doubt that ssri's cause metabolic issues due to sert inhibition and the research shows it. My experience also reinforces the literature, since developing pssd I developed high blood pressure, estrogen, and glucose and insulin levels. This is so fucked up what has happened to me... it's clear as day what the issue is.
pssdperson

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... omipramine

This study is kinda related to the OP, regarding 17ß-estradiol and SSRIs
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

I believe hormone/metabolic changes are downstream effects of sert loss. You reverse the sert inhibition and everything else will start to normalize.
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

Tree wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:00 pm I believe hormone/metabolic changes are downstream effects of sert loss. You reverse the sert inhibition and everything else will start to normalize.
Do we have any practical way to reverse SERT loss? I think evodiamine and berberine was tried by many
highman

Unread post by highman »

Berberine is killed and worsen symptoms. Don't try this!
Extremaduro

Unread post by Extremaduro »

What about shutting down the pituitary gland by using t enanthate for some time?