Sertraline reinstatement

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
alberecu

Re: Sertraline reinstatement

Unread post by alberecu »

Another interesting case related to reinstatement with sertraline:
clong4324 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:24 pm I had posted elsewhere I believe, but also experienced complete long term reversal with re-instating a different SSRI. Even after withrdrawing, it remained 100%. It was a switch to Wellbutrin which re-instated the PSSD.
Short story:
* Age 17, April 1998 prozac for like 8 weeks, entry level dose, at about 4-6 weeks immediate overnight severe PSSD. Docs of course all said "all in my head/mental" especially back then.
*Immediately stopped drug. No return of normalcy.
*About 6 months later, started zoloft, I think 50mg, within a couple of months 100% normalcy, full functioning, drive, normal semen levels etc. This all remained for 2.5 years.
*Quit zoloft due to emotional blunting, for 4 months. Normal functioning remained intact.
*Resumed zoloft only to cure the withdrawal and depression from being off it (which I'd never experienced previously; prior diagnosis was OCD)
*100% normalcy remained
*quit zoloft again, for all same reasons--normalcy remained. All of the above occurred during college, plenty of action with plenty of women.
*As with the first attempt to quit, fell into the blackest, unnatural depression, again, still normal sexual functioning. Doc recomended Wellbutrin.
* Within about 4-6 weeks of wellbutrin, overnight light switch-like PSSD symptoms; numbness; genital shrinkage; complete inability to achieve full erection.
I've made significant strides since then, due to no-fap, supplements, alcohol (helped for a good couple of years but no longer seems to at all); and fasting; also adderrall helps but can all too easily tip the scales back to pssd like symptoms. But still nowhere near 100% consistently, only in fleeting windows which, despite keeping a spreadsheet of everything I have eaten or consumed every day for the past 4 years, I still cannot discern or detect any governing patterns at all. Just seems like random windows of normalcy.
FindGoodNickname

Unread post by FindGoodNickname »

An update:

When I take a tiny bit of Sertraline (like 5 mg), I feel my penis again, and I do have a tiny bit of libido, but I'm super aggressive.
Not a good feeling.

I have 2 birds, and I see the same for the male: Most of the time, when he is horny, he starts to show off ("he makes a certain shape with his body and great sounds to attract the female), but then also gets aggressive and hunts and attacks the female like an enemy.

The line between sex and aggression seems to be very thin.

And I currently experience really much aggression. This makes it difficult to continue, but I guess I will.
And before reinstatement, I was totally anxious and depressed.
Difficult decisions all the way...
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

FindGoodNickname wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:13 am An update:

When I take a tiny bit of Sertraline (like 5 mg), I feel my penis again, and I do have a tiny bit of libido, but I'm super aggressive.
Not a good feeling.

I have 2 birds, and I see the same for the male: Most of the time, when he is horny, he starts to show off ("he makes a certain shape with his body and great sounds to attract the female), but then also gets aggressive and hunts and attacks the female like an enemy.

The line between sex and aggression seems to be very thin.

And I currently experience really much aggression. This makes it difficult to continue, but I guess I will.
And before reinstatement, I was totally anxious and depressed.
Difficult decisions all the way...
Took me a couple seconds to realize you were talking about real birds :lol:
FindGoodNickname

I am now using a really low dose of 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening.
However, I would like to point out that for me, this is a "normal" dose already.
I have always reacted very strongly to it.

When I took the evening dose, I definitively felt horny, and the orgasm felt alright. Ejaculation width was normal again (not dripping) and strong.
The volume however was still rather little.

My social anxiety is gone, and I'm chatty again. For me, being chatty is a GREAT thing because I have social anxiety.

Even though I wanted to have a perfectly normal sex life and not depend on anything, I am currently under the impression that the reinstatement has brought me more positive than bad things.

To sum it up: More chatty, less anxious, a tiny bit horny, orgasms are better, ejaculation strength is better, I look at girls again (it's not like my old self that thought "Wow!!" but rather like "Hmmm, it does something with me").
My current medication is only Sertraline 5 mg + 5 mg.

I will keep posting.

ps: I would not have reinstated if the anxiousness had not re-occured after 1,5 years into PSSD.
Perhaps the fact that the anxiety returned was a sign that my sexuality would also become normal again, but the anxiety was so hard to bear that I decided to reinstate.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

FindGoodNickname wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:10 am I am now using a really low dose of 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening.
However, I would like to point out that for me, this is a "normal" dose already.

When I took the evening dose, I definitively felt horny, and the orgasm felt alright. Ejaculation width was normal again (not dripping) and strong.

My social anxiety is gone, and I'm chatty again. For me, being chatty is a GREAT thing because I have social anxiety.

Even though I wanted to have a perfectly normal sex life and not depend on anything, I am currently under the impression that the reinstatement has brought me more positive than bad things.

To sum it up: More chatty, less anxious, a tiny bit horny, orgasms are better, ejaculation strength is better, I look at girls again (it's not like my old self that thought "Wow!!" but rather like "Hmmm, it does something with me").

I will keep posting.

ps: I would not have reinstated if the anxiousness had not re-occured after 1,5 years into PSSD.
Perhaps the fact that the anxiety returned was a sign that my sexuality would also become normal again, but the anxiety was so hard to bear that I decided to reinstate.
I reinstated sertraline at minimum prescribed dose of 25 mg and increased but couldn't tolerate it. It"s nice to see It brought you more positive than negative things, best of luck on your reinstating journey. :D
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

FindGoodNickname wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:10 am I am now using a really low dose of 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening.

I will keep posting.

I reinstated sertraline at minimum prescribed dose of 25 mg and increased but couldn't tolerate it. It"s nice to see It brought you more positive than negative things, best of luck on your reinstating journey. :D
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
FindGoodNickname

What do you mean by "couldn't tolerate it"?
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

FindGoodNickname wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:17 am What do you mean by "couldn't tolerate it"?
I could not tolerate a plethora of sexual side effects while not many positive effects. Maybe 25 mg was already too much once a day, and I reached 100 mg that time.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
FindGoodNickname

In your signature you wrote that you use Ritalin. May I ask you what Ritalin does with you and why you take it?
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

FindGoodNickname wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:44 pm In your signature you wrote that you use Ritalin. May I ask you what Ritalin does with you and why you take it?
ADHD, and it gives a major relief on ADHD symptoms so that my life is total a mess without taking it.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)