Idea: Literary contest on pssd

Topics related to activism.
anacleta

Idea: Literary contest on pssd

Unread post by anacleta »

Last edited by anacleta on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
climb

Re: Idea: Literary contest on pssd

Unread post by climb »

Hi Anacleta

It's a good idea.
I've attempted to get the interest of several journalists recently but haven't had much luck. It could be timing.

I wonder if it would be an idea to contact a forum for journalism students or freelance journalists to see if they'd be interested in writing something about PSSD?

The other thing I meant to mention is that some medical and academic journals publish patient feedback. One of our PFS friends from the federation has written an excellent article that will be published in the BMJ. This is something we can also aim for.
anacleta

Unread post by anacleta »

on reflection, it is not a good idea to have "invented pssd stories", even if written for a contest.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

anacleta wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:38 am on reflection, it is not a good idea to have "invented pssd stories", even if written for a contest.
It makes a lot of sense. Self reports on internet forums are seen by any researcher as at maximum an anecdote, with lots of confirmation biases. Put things in perspective, around 100 million of SSRIs are prescribed every year in the USA. Prozac was the most prescribed drug on the following years of its approval, "invented stories" or "exaggerated ones", like a novel, for creating some "awareness" would destroy completely any reputation or reliability of the PSSD community.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
climb

Unread post by climb »

anacleta wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:38 am on reflection, it is not a good idea to have "invented pssd stories", even if written for a contest.
Sorry, I misunderstood the original post. Invented stories is not a good idea, but factual reporting on the subject by impartial but empathetic aspiring journalists could potentially be good I think.
Broken

Unread post by Broken »

Rather than a writing contest, why not invite patients suffering from PSSD to express their symptoms through text or another medium?

Something like an art exhibit would be nice, yet those suffering are too sparse and far away to make a cohesive installation.

We should look to the efforts of other communities and see how they raise awareness for their plights. The NAMES AIDS quilt project would be a good example, as it showed the scope and gravity of infection while underlining the complete lack of recognition by the government.

Since PSSD affects us all in certain ways, I think we may have to demonstrate our woes by equally unique or appropriate measures. A parody of a pharmaceutical marketing advert could be eye-opening and informative while not being conspiratorial or alarmist.
2010~2012: Prozac, Concerta, Wellbutrin (no effects)
2012~2018: Effexor with 150 mg being typical dose. Weaned off March, reinstatement in June, abrupt cessation in September.
Severe ED, less ejaculate, definitive shrinkage, lack of libido, anhedonia.