Depression Treatments

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Ghost

Depression Treatments

Unread post by Ghost »

Anyone on here still suffer from Depression? This is the place to talk about it. What helps/ what doesn't.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
forexworld12

Re: Depression

Unread post by forexworld12 »

not depression but ssri induced emotional blunting is a major problem .
Many people reported a major return of emotions from using SJW though but no such thing for pssd
Postanti

Unread post by Postanti »

Taking Vitamin D 5,000 to 10,000 IU significantly improved my depression. It may not work for everyone.
I also found taking regular B12 and Methylfolate helped stabilize my mood due to having some genetic metyhlation defects.
Magnesium Glycinate helped me with anxiety.
Octopus

Unread post by Octopus »

catalunya wrote:
forexworld12 wrote:not depression but ssri induced emotional blunting is a major problem .
Many people reported a major return of emotions from using SJW though but no such thing for pssd
please note, that this is a place for mental health support related to mental illnesses either biologically latent or extant or indirectly related to ssri usage, but not directly the result of current or past medication usage. ssri-induced emotional blunting is to be discussed in the 'other ssri problems' sub-forum -- http://www.pssdforum.com/viewforum.php?f=31. there you'll find a thread dedicated to ssri-induced emotional blunting.

subsequent off-topic posts will be moved to their respective correct locations accordingly.
Sometimes it’s hard for me to differentiate between the two. I’ve had anxiety and depression for basically my whole life (it’s possible the anxiety is what caused the depression, it certainly is a contributing factor, anyway). I’ve had ups and downs as far as depression goes and I still get depressed but I feel like part of what causes the depression now is PSSD and emotional blunting due to PSSD. I get depressed because I can’t feel the same intensity of feeling that I once felt, but I also feel like that emotional blunting wouldn’t bother me as much if I didn’t already have anxiety and depression.
EricCartmanRJ

Unread post by EricCartmanRJ »

I'm on low-dose Trazodone . It keeps my depression on a level that I can live with. I'm afraid that it will worse pssd on the long run though.
carol7

Unread post by carol7 »

What has helped /not helped me keep depression at bay:

Helped:(speculating it has helped)

Exercise 3x/week
Fish 3x/week (omega-3)
Vitamins (B12, B6, multivitamin)
Counseling 1-2 x/month
Adequate magnesium
Sunlight (I get more depressed if it is darker)....

One thing that I underestimated as something that can help depression is counseling. I will explain my angle on this. The counselor gave me insight and a way of looking at things I had not thought of. She was more objective about things. The counseling has helped me through several crisis type situations in the last five years. What helps me is when I can identify what is a crisis situation for me. This year, my fiancé broke up with me in a phone call . I can't even begin to describe the pain and betrayal, but I knew I was in a crisis...the magnitude of my pain was like nothing I had ever experienced....There was a physical pain in my chest/ heart/soul/mind. By recognizing this---I sought out help immediately....immediately. I knew with my history of depression, this had the potential to destroy me. I 'fought' it with everything I had and can say today that I survived this....it was one of the more devastating things I have ever been through. I can say that I avoided depression.

So, in essence, identify things that trigger you--for everyone it may be different. For some people, the holidays can trigger depression....

Not helped me:

what makes my depression worse is probably negative thinking and thoughts
not reaching out to others or being alone too much
EricCartmanRJ

Unread post by EricCartmanRJ »

Much better than Tradozone, concerta (methylphenidate) has been doing wonders to my depression... I was concerned about this med for so many reasons , specially because I had strong ocd in the past, but I'm ok. Just a little impulsive sometimes.

One thing I noticed is that I'm the only one talking about psychiatry drugs. I find very hard to battle depression without it, even taking everything said above in consideration (exercise, positive thinking, exercise...)
infinityzer00000

Unread post by infinityzer00000 »

carol7 wrote:What has helped /not helped me keep depression at bay:

Helped:(speculating it has helped)

Exercise 3x/week
Fish 3x/week (omega-3)
Vitamins (B12, B6, multivitamin)
Counseling 1-2 x/month
Adequate magnesium
Sunlight (I get more depressed if it is darker)....

One thing that I underestimated as something that can help depression is counseling. I will explain my angle on this. The counselor gave me insight and a way of looking at things I had not thought of. She was more objective about things. The counseling has helped me through several crisis type situations in the last five years. What helps me is when I can identify what is a crisis situation for me. This year, my fiancé broke up with me in a phone call . I can't even begin to describe the pain and betrayal, but I knew I was in a crisis...the magnitude of my pain was like nothing I had ever experienced....There was a physical pain in my chest/ heart/soul/mind. By recognizing this---I sought out help immediately....immediately. I knew with my history of depression, this had the potential to destroy me. I 'fought' it with everything I had and can say today that I survived this....it was one of the more devastating things I have ever been through. I can say that I avoided depression.

So, in essence, identify things that trigger you--for everyone it may be different. For some people, the holidays can trigger depression....

Not helped me:

what makes my depression worse is probably negative thinking and thoughts
not reaching out to others or being alone too much

Hey carol, I just want to recommend that since youre a woman you should get your iron levels checked if you havent already done so. Also, take fish oil caps 3× per day every day of the week. Thats what my naturopath recommended for me.
oceanwild

Unread post by oceanwild »

does anyone go buy 5-htp pills when they feel depression? It is helpful in treating a wide variety of conditions related to low serotonin levels, including the following.
Improving in mood, anxiety, insomnia, and physical symptoms.

Mod Edit: This link didn't link to a selling site, so I'm going to let it stay. It simply is a page that explains 5-HTP supplements. Hope this clears up confusion - Ghost
escitalopramsucks

Unread post by escitalopramsucks »

Don't take 5htp pills... I has read on another forum that the mechanism in similar as SSRI mechanism.

In m case I'm.having lorazepam. I was at a.point with pssd that m depression and.anxiety didn't.allow.me to eat... sleep and.I was suicidal.

Now I'm taking the.benzo but evjry cautiously as.been I had heard it won't make worse m pssd I keep worrying.

V