Improvements from Bupropion

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Tree

Re: Improvements from Bupropion

Unread post by Tree »

150mg for two weeks erections, libido, fatigue, and slight relief from emotional blunting then I had worsening of all symptoms and developed permeant tinnitus. I immediately stopped cold turkey. Later I found out it has 5ht1a agonistic properties so it desensitized my serotonin receptors more.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

@ElaineBenes5

I took Bupropion from October 2017 to July 2020. during the first 2 years it had a very strong positive effect (80% or so compared to the time before I had taken SSRI). However, the effect then slowly faded. So I decided to taper it in July 2020.

In November 2020, I started bupropion again and had a nice effect (genital anesthesia was gone; orgasms were, however, still delayed). Actually, I met someone new about four to six weeks after starting it again and it felt very intense when we made out. For some reason I didn’t immediately make the connection between having started bupropion six weeks earlier and having such a good time sexually. However, since the effect faded a couple of weeks later, I decided to stop bupropion again and haven’t tried it since.

Now without bupropion, sex is just awful and desire is practically zero.
ElaineBenes5

Unread post by ElaineBenes5 »

Would you say the worsening of all symptoms, did it include a worsening of emotional symptoms too? And did the worsening remain permanent after stopping Wellbutrin or did you recover after? Thanks for sharing.

Also thank you Numby for your update.

Tree wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:56 am 150mg for two weeks erections, libido, fatigue, and slight relief from emotional blunting then I had worsening of all symptoms and developed permeant tinnitus. I immediately stopped cold turkey. Later I found out it has 5ht1a agonistic properties so it desensitized my serotonin receptors more.
ElaineBenes5

Unread post by ElaineBenes5 »

Thank you very much for replying Numby. Would you say that while on Wellbutrin, after you noticed the sexual benefits faded, did it provide any benefit to your mood or emotions? Or did it just stop working sexually and emotionally/mood too?

After stopping did you notice if anything was worse than before taking Wellbutrin? Or did things return to a pssd normal?

quote=Numby post_id=46638 time=1658176540 user_id=666]
@ElaineBenes5

I took Bupropion from October 2017 to July 2020. during the first 2 years it had a very strong positive effect (80% or so compared to the time before I had taken SSRI). However, the effect then slowly faded. So I decided to taper it in July 2020.

In November 2020, I started bupropion again and had a nice effect (genital anesthesia was gone; orgasms were, however, still delayed). Actually, I met someone new about four to six weeks after starting it again and it felt very intense when we made out. For some reason I didn’t immediately make the connection between having started bupropion six weeks earlier and having such a good time sexually. However, since the effect faded a couple of weeks later, I decided to stop bupropion again and haven’t tried it since.

Now without bupropion, sex is just awful and desire is practically zero.
[/quote]
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

I’m glad if I can help.

About your questions:
  • Worsening on/after stopping Bupropion: :!: There was no worsening on or after Bupropion. It just stopped having a positive effect, so I went back to baseline. This also includes small “emotional” effects (tingling in your stomach region), although I‘ve never really been anhedonic. I would still say that, while on it, Bupropion improved neuro-biological reactions which I would not call emotions though.
  • Benefits concerning mood/emotions: Bupropion never had a positive effect on my emotions or mood - at least not concerning symptoms of depression. I’m not suffering from depression anymore but had a difficult phase when I took it for the second time. The only reason I wanted to try it in the first place was to see if it would improve my PSSD symptoms. Actually, when I took it the second time, I felt suicidal from it. So one should be very careful and talk to relatives and/or friends if something like that occurs. That’s why I cannot answer your question.
RainebowGirl

Unread post by RainebowGirl »

Oh! There is a new thread!

I wanted to drop by again to see if there were any new developments in treating PSSD and wanted to add to Numby's experience that I also improved greatly with Wellbutrin. I started slowly reinstating 1/4th of my previously prescribed dose for about two months or so? I began to get nervous and stopped after a while but! In the end, I improved by about 60% from essentially 0 (no sensation, complete inability to orgasm without trying for 2hrs and heavy duty tools, no passion for life, no goosebumps when listening to music, etc.). It did sort of fade from there to maybe 35-40% after I stopped taking it and that was in 2019. I might have used it a couple of times in 2020 but hardly on the same schedule I did back then. Female, if that matters.

That might not sound like much, but after 4 years of not improving in the SLIGHTEST, I think that Wellbutrin trial helped me slowly get better over the last couple of years to where I am now.
:?
Used Effexor, Wellbutrin from 2012 - 2015. PSSD 4Y after.
Reinstated with Wellbutrin from March 2019 - May 2019. 65% improvement that leveled out closer to 40%.
Implemented yoga and pelvic floor therapy on and off.
Now at 85%! :mrgreen: