NEWS: June 2019: EMA warning of PSSD on SSRIs || 2018: Study showing SSRI's cause DNA Methylation

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
mjj123

NEWS: June 2019: EMA warning of PSSD on SSRIs || 2018: Study showing SSRI's cause DNA Methylation

Unread post by mjj123 »

It appears PSSD has finally been recognized at an official capacity. This makes me so happy for all of those whose doctors did not believe them or family that thought they were crazy. I was constantly told I was being dramatic by outright refusing any SSRI.

On the 11th of June 2019 the Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee of the European Medicines Agency issued a new product information wording regarding persistent sexual dysfunction after SSRIs and SNRIs.[45]
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/ ... rac_en.pdf

As well as new studies investigating further into SSRI negative effects:

SSRIs may permanently change the genome through gene methylation. The study provides evidence androgen receptors may be hit by this effect.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6083487/
Rb26dett

Re: NEWS: June 2019: EMA warning of PSSD on SSRIs || 2018: Study showing SSRI's cause DNA Methylatio

Unread post by Rb26dett »

This was already published a month ago.
Paroxetine from 11-2012 to 08-2018 never had sexual disfunction.
Added 5-htp for help with Paroxetine withdrawal, then I got severe PSSD, with altered hormones levels and CFS.
Symptoms worsened with time.
mjj123

Re: NEWS: June 2019: EMA warning of PSSD on SSRIs || 2018: Study showing SSRI's cause DNA Methylatio

Unread post by mjj123 »

Rb26dett wrote:This was already published a month ago.
Well yea, it says June in the title
pubh12

Unread post by pubh12 »

Is this good or bad? Is DNA methylation reversible?
mjj123

Unread post by mjj123 »

pubh12 wrote:Is this good or bad? Is DNA methylation reversible?
Unfortunately the study suspects this is permanent
Here, we attempted to confirm the hypothesis that pharmacological agents can cause permanent changes via epigenetic reprogramming. The results show that our first test drug, citalopram, can cause genome-wide DNA methylation alterations as revealed by significant differential methylation in hundreds of genes, as well as predicted impact on signaling pathways and/or physiological systems, some of which are described below.
Fortunately this study is not a direct link to PSSD, only a possible clue due to the effect on androgen receptors. People here have seemingly recovered, there are just too many unknowns at this point.
paperinikk

Unread post by paperinikk »

Did you mean to link the study on PFS patients instead? I couldn't find the word "androgen" anywhere in the study on citalopram.
mjj123

Unread post by mjj123 »

paperinikk wrote:Did you mean to link the study on PFS patients instead? I couldn't find the word "androgen" anywhere in the study on citalopram.
Oops, sorry about that. They're suspected to be the same mechanism: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29675596

In the study I linked in the main post the "Introduction" section talks a lot about sexual functioning and the possibility of persisting problems from SSRI's caused by DNA changes.

The androgen connection was made because this means androgen receptors may be hypomethylated, changing their expression.
AnhedonicApe

Unread post by AnhedonicApe »

DNA methylation can be treated though with risky agents and research chemicals. It's worth investing time in and researching it, because it might be the core of the problem, and why we now have this altered homeostasis.
Godfuckingdamnit

Unread post by Godfuckingdamnit »

AnhedonicApe wrote:DNA methylation can be treated though with risky agents and research chemicals. It's worth investing time in and researching it, because it might be the core of the problem, and why we now have this altered homeostasis.
You were going to try just that, if I remember correctly. How's your experiment setup coming along?
PSSD 3-2018, at28.
Effexor for 14 days total (PSSD on 3rd day).
Developed Ulcerative Colitis shortly thereafter.
PSSD start: intense tingling and penis went flaccid.
ED, numbness, little to no libido. Few weak morning woods.
AnhedonicApe

Unread post by AnhedonicApe »

Godfuckingdamnit wrote:
AnhedonicApe wrote:DNA methylation can be treated though with risky agents and research chemicals. It's worth investing time in and researching it, because it might be the core of the problem, and why we now have this altered homeostasis.
You were going to try just that, if I remember correctly. How's your experiment setup coming along?
Yes things are going, making progress. I will report if I get any success