Coping mechanisms

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
OCDemon

Re: Coping mechanisms

Unread post by OCDemon »

This song by Warren Zevon does it for me: My ****'s ****ed Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQjy_ZTaRM

Warren was definitely not all doom and gloom. Check out "Keep Me In Your Heart." He died of mesothelioma and recorded his last album as he knew he wasn't going to be around much longer.

His advice: enjoy every sandwich.

I'm 32 and feel like my life is already over. I felt like it was over 2 years ago when I first developed this problem. I have a long history of eating disorders, being suicidal, self injury, drug and alcohol abuse, and I never thought things could be this bad. One of those things where "you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

That being said, I've become a lot more grateful for the things I do still have. Every day I'm thankful for the abilities I still have. Because PSSD taught me how easy it is to become disabled in an instant. Just the other day I was having such sharp pains in my knee I couldn't walk down the stairs. Fortunately it passed and today I can walk down stairs. Little things like that remind me that anything and everything can be taken away in an instant.

So the flip side of that is gratitude. PSSD also taught me that from one day to the next, you can lose something you took for granted, and it can send you into despair. So I more or less take a tally every day and thank God (even though I'm not religious and don't even necessarily believe in a god) for all the things I do still have.

I don't want to say what they are, because I don't want to jinx it. But there is a lot. As Zevon said, "enjoy every sandwich." For some weeks I was having severe problems with dysphagia, to the point I was unable to swallow my food regularly, and that got pretty scary. Yet another motivator to appreciate the 'little' things while I can.

Don't get me wrong: living with this is a nightmare. I thought about suicide pretty much every day for over a year after this first happened to me. The silver lining is I've stuck it out, and am actually more sober than ever now. Being sober is a huge help for recovery and acceptance. When you realize how easy it is to lose anything and everything in your life and body that you can think of, you appreciate it a lot more.

It's liberating in a way. Ironically, my biggest attachment in life was to sexuality and relationships. Now that those have been taken away from me forever, it's interesting that I'm less suicidal than ever. The whole reason I got on medication in the first place is I was suicidal over the end of a long relationship. Now that I'll never be able to be in one again, not feeling suicidal over that is actually huge progress. In many ways I have more peace of mind than I ever had in my entire life, strange as that sounds.

Hopefully you could get something out of this ramble. Sorry for going on so much. You are not alone.
JakeLawe

Unread post by JakeLawe »

OCDemon wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:09 am This song by Warren Zevon does it for me: My ****'s ****ed Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQjy_ZTaRM

Warren was definitely not all doom and gloom. Check out "Keep Me In Your Heart." He died of mesothelioma and recorded his last album as he knew he wasn't going to be around much longer.

His advice: enjoy every sandwich.

I'm 32 and feel like my life is already over. I felt like it was over 2 years ago when I first developed this problem. I have a long history of eating disorders, being suicidal, self injury, drug and alcohol abuse, and I never thought things could be this bad. One of those things where "you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

That being said, I've become a lot more grateful for the things I do still have. Every day I'm thankful for the abilities I still have. Because PSSD taught me how easy it is to become disabled in an instant. Just the other day I was having such sharp pains in my knee I couldn't walk down the stairs. Fortunately it passed and today I can walk down stairs. Little things like that remind me that anything and everything can be taken away in an instant.

So the flip side of that is gratitude. PSSD also taught me that from one day to the next, you can lose something you took for granted, and it can send you into despair. So I more or less take a tally every day and thank God (even though I'm not religious and don't even necessarily believe in a god) for all the things I do still have.

I don't want to say what they are, because I don't want to jinx it. But there is a lot. As Zevon said, "enjoy every sandwich." For some weeks I was having severe problems with dysphagia, to the point I was unable to swallow my food regularly, and that got pretty scary. Yet another motivator to appreciate the 'little' things while I can.

Don't get me wrong: living with this is a nightmare. I thought about suicide pretty much every day for over a year after this first happened to me. The silver lining is I've stuck it out, and am actually more sober than ever now. Being sober is a huge help for recovery and acceptance. When you realize how easy it is to lose anything and everything in your life and body that you can think of, you appreciate it a lot more.

It's liberating in a way. Ironically, my biggest attachment in life was to sexuality and relationships. Now that those have been taken away from me forever, it's interesting that I'm less suicidal than ever. The whole reason I got on medication in the first place is I was suicidal over the end of a long relationship. Now that I'll never be able to be in one again, not feeling suicidal over that is actually huge progress. In many ways I have more peace of mind than I ever had in my entire life, strange as that sounds.

Hopefully you could get something out of this ramble. Sorry for going on so much. You are not alone.
What are your symptoms? Kratom is good for pain, Red Bali, it's also antidepressant and anxiolitic and stimulant, depending on dosage. Don't abuse it if you try it though, there's people saying can be hard to kick. Oh and it possibly can thin one's hair if taken too much but I'm still unsure about this. Just mention because you mentioned pain.

Kratom also helps with libido I'd say.

I agree this stuff is hard to accept, there's always the "why me?" and ultimately one can only be grateful for what one still has.

edit: Just read the pain was temporary, still you may wanna try it for libido.. BUT don't abuse it!
dann888

Unread post by dann888 »

Guys I haven't visited the forum some times not because I am cured from PSSD but found a way of life with mental freedom. I have PSSD from 2008 and suffered a lot that I never imagined I can live with peace. Only option I suggest to you is find a distraction and make it a habit. You gradually find the peace and you no longer worry about sexual disability and other thousands of issues related to anxiety and depression. You know we eventually lose valuable things in life and the pain we feel depends on the attachment to them. As a man I know that sexual arousal was the ultimate attachment for me and for us as a kind. So when we lose it that suffer and pain is highest. Somehow you have to find a way to drag your self out from this pit. Affirm that still you are eligible to find a lover, carrier growth and endless opportunities. That's the truth I experienced. Understand that you are suffered 90% due to you imaginations. keep your self out from medicines and find peace you deserve.. You can !
dann888

Unread post by dann888 »

How to let go of things that cause suffering !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GYkT6dlUDo