PSSD Name / Definition

Topics related to activism.
future-recovery

PSSD Name / Definition

Unread post by future-recovery »

Topic for discussion of PSSD definition/name
///
I think PSSD should be renamed Post-SSRI Syndrome. Just like the Post-Finasteride Syndrome.
I guess the term PSSD exists because sexual dysfunction is maybe the most common symptom that persists after the discontinuation of the treatment. Would be no surprise as sexual dysfunction also seems to be the most common symptom during the treatment. However PSSD-sufferers often have other SSRI-induced symptoms and there are also SSRI-victims who have neither PSSD nor SSRI withdrawal symptoms, for instance there are people who took SSRIs only for a few days(so I guess it's no withdrawal syndrome) and still suffer from the symptoms (without sexual symptoms).
German fmri study about PSSD could be possible! Criteria: http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1020
Send a mail to user sulawesi: sulawesi1@web.de
PLZNO

Re: PSSD should be renamed PSS

Unread post by PLZNO »

I strongly agree!!
2016 march~april
Strattera+Vortioxetine for 3weeks
2016 may~june
Escitalopram for 2weeks (PSSD)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I can see some merit in this. It seems that PSSD is simply one of the many persistent symptoms that can occur after taking an SSRI. So it would seem that it's a category of the overall problems caused by SSRIs.

That said, I don't think that PSSD's name should be changed. Becuase PSSD is sexual dysfunction in particular that is caused by an SSRI. There are many people who have "PSS" as you'd call it, but they don't matriculate to these forums becuase they might have mostly emotional changes, mood changes, or another type of sexual dysfunction such as PGAD.

PSSD also has scientific literature that calls it by name. This literature might be limited, but I don't think changing it would a) honestly be successful (PSSD is a name that's been used by a generation of sufferers and is used throughout the internet) or b) do anything more than confuse a lot of people researching and learning about PSSD.

The sad thing is that while PSSD is relatively easy to spot in animal models, other symptoms might be harder to see. For example, it might be easy to count the number of seconds that it takes a male mouse to mount a female, but probably would be much harder to calculate the emotional capacity of said mouse on a measurable scale.

I see a strong need for sufferers of "PSS" to find a community that pushes for their recovery, but don't think that it necessitates changing the name of PSSD.

If PSS is a collection of all alcoholic drinks, then I'd see PSSD as wine. A drinker can have more than one kind in an evening, but by losing the distinction between wine and beer, more is lost than gained.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
PLZNO

Unread post by PLZNO »

@Ghost

Well..
I think you're right
Pssd just belongs to PSS, it doesn't need to be renamed
2016 march~april
Strattera+Vortioxetine for 3weeks
2016 may~june
Escitalopram for 2weeks (PSSD)
Marksanchez397

Unread post by Marksanchez397 »

Ghost wrote:I can see some merit in this. It seems that PSSD is simply one of the many persistent symptoms that can occur after taking an SSRI. So it would seem that it's a category of the overall problems caused by SSRIs.

That said, I don't think that PSSD's name should be changed. Becuase PSSD is sexual dysfunction in particular that is caused by an SSRI. There are many people who have "PSS" as you'd call it, but they don't matriculate to these forums becuase they might have mostly emotional changes, mood changes, or another type of sexual dysfunction such as PGAD.

PSSD also has scientific literature that calls it by name. This literature might be limited, but I don't think changing it would a) honestly be successful (PSSD is a name that's been used by a generation of sufferers and is used throughout the internet) or b) do anything more than confuse a lot of people researching and learning about PSSD.

The sad thing is that while PSSD is relatively easy to spot in animal models, other symptoms might be harder to see. For example, it might be easy to count the number of seconds that it takes a male mouse to mount a female, but probably would be much harder to calculate the emotional capacity of said mouse on a measurable scale.

I see a strong need for sufferers of "PSS" to find a community that pushes for their recovery, but don't think that it necessitates changing the name of PSSD.

If PSS is a collection of all alcoholic drinks, then I'd see PSSD as wine. A drinker can have more than one kind in an evening, but by losing the distinction between wine and beer, more is lost than gained.
I think you are right Gosth. And i think too that rats have the answer because if they have PSSD doctors can't say that is all in their minds... What i can't believe is that researches have been seing PSSD constantly and they don't say it to the world, don't give importance to it, try to reverse, etc. It's incredible, because rats don't lie so researches know PSSD 100% and let people continious taking ssri day by day...
future-recovery

Unread post by future-recovery »

Of course we can have the term PSSD as well as PSS. But I think that the term PSS should take more priority than the term PSSD as the term PSS is often more appropriate because many PSSD sufferers have non-sexual SSRI-induced symptoms . By the way the PFS sufferers don't need the term PFSD (Post-Finasteride Sexual Dysfunction) neither.
Of course the current literature uses the term PSSD, but that's no reason to use a term that is often more appropriate in my opinion. Actually the term PSSD leads to confusion because it makes people think that only sexual dysfunction can persist.
German fmri study about PSSD could be possible! Criteria: http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1020
Send a mail to user sulawesi: sulawesi1@web.de
Cobalt.blue

We need new name

Unread post by Cobalt.blue »

Not only SSRIs can cause permanent sexual dysfunction, all kind of antidepressants and antipsyhotics can cause this state, so name PSSD is incorrect. This name even indirectly promotes non-SSRI antidepressants which can be very danger. I suggest new name Post antidepressants/antipsyhotics sexual dysfunction (PASD).
Female, "PSSD" since summer 2017, crushed severely at April 21, 2019
Everything is sensless and stupid in this caotic universe.
Ciprofloxacin

Re: We need new name

Unread post by Ciprofloxacin »

Cobalt.blue wrote:Not only SSRIs can cause permanent sexual dysfunction, all kind of antidepressants and antipsyhotics can cause this state, so name PSSD is incorrect. This name even indirectly promotes non-SSRI antidepressants which can be very danger. I suggest new name Post antidepressants/antipsyhotics sexual dysfunction (PASD).
Antidepressants, huh? Finasteride, isotretinoine, saw palmetto? They are not antidepressants I guess. Also, why only sexual dysfunction? I would greatly accept to be an asexual, as long as I can get my brain back.

What about, Post neurosteroid regulator syndrome (PNRS) ?
Cobalt.blue

Unread post by Cobalt.blue »

that name would be ok
Female, "PSSD" since summer 2017, crushed severely at April 21, 2019
Everything is sensless and stupid in this caotic universe.
been_too_long

Unread post by been_too_long »

We are having a hard enough time fighting for legitimacy without trying to turn it into a "catch all syndrome"

and saying "Post neurosteroid regulator syndrome" suggest we know the cause, we don't.