Berberine

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Moloch

Berberine

Unread post by Moloch »

OP: sexdrive on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:20 am

Found a post on Longcity, where a guy has written the following

"Berberine acts as a presynaptic only agonist of 5-HT1A's - while at the 5-HT1A postsynaptic (where it releases ACTH, cortisol, prolactin etc) it acts to inhibit.

Thus berberine may be a useful tool not for increasing serotonergic neurotransmission through that pathway in particular, but for inhibiting excess serotonin and for reducing some of the negative neuroendocrine effects of serotonin. Notably, berberine also inhibited 5-HT2 type receptors and exhibited anxiolytic activity this way as well.

Berberine also inhibits PDE-5 mRNA - thus it may be the best natural tool for post and current SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction as well as in improving cognitive disturbances caused by serotonergic drugs."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15350820
The aim of this study was to assess the anxiolytic effect of berberine (abbrev. BER) using two experimental anxiety models in the mouse. In the black and white test of anxiety, berberine (100, 500 mg/kg) produced an increase in the first time entry, time spent in the white section, and total changes between two compartments. On the other hand, in the elevated plus-maze test, berberine (100, 500 mg/kg) produced an increase in the time spent and arm entries in the open arms, and a decrease in the time spent and arm entries in the closed arms. Berberine (500 mg/kg) decreased locomotor activity in mice. Furthermore, BER at 100, 500 mg/kg decreased concentrations of NE, DA and 5-HT, and increased the concentrations of VMA, HVA and 5-HIAA in the brain stem. BER also attenuated the anxiogenic effect of WAY-100635, 8-OH DPAT and DOI and enhanced the anxiolytic effect of BUS, p-MPPI and RIT in the elevated plus-maze. These results suggested that berberine at 100 mg/kg had a significant anxiolytic-like effect, which was similar to that observed with 1 mg/kg diazepam and 2 mg/kg buspirone. The anxiolytic mechanism of BER might be related to the increase in turnover rates of monoamines in the brain stem and decreased serotonergic system activity. Moreover, BER decreased serotonergic system activity via activation of somatodendritic 5-HT1A autoreceptors and inhibition of postsynaptic 5-HT1A and 5-HT2 receptors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15638014
OBJECTIVE:
To further investigate the action mechanisms of berberine (Ber) and to assess the effects of Ber on the mRNA expression of phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) in rat corpus cavernosum.
METHODS:
After incubating with Ber for 1 or 3 h respectively, we examined the levels of PDE5 mRNA by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).
RESULTS:
There were PDE5A1 and PDE5A2 mRNA expressions in the rat corpus cavernosum with PDE5A2 as the dominant isoform. Ber could obviously inhibit the mRNA expression of the two isoforms in the rat penis and bring on a pronounced decrease in PDE5A2 (P < 0.01).
CONCLUSION:
The present study indicates that the inhibitory effect of Ber on PDE5 mRNA expression, especially on PDE5A2, might account for its molecular mechanism for treating ED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berberine

I haven't tried it. But if someone want, it's available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... =berberine
Moloch

Re: Berberine - sexdrive OP

Unread post by Moloch »

Micromegas on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:18 pm

This is the first I've heard of berberine. The author of that forum post links to their related blog entry, which is worth a look. It was posted this month.

http://area1255.blogspot.com/2014/09/na ... nists.html
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Sonny on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Sounds like it could work. I'll get some.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:15 am

Sonny wrote:
Sounds like it could work. I'll get some.
It worked for me years back took it + Icariin for 3 months; enough to downregulate PDE5 and 5-HT2A...now I don't need either of em. Smile
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Gonzo on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:25 pm

It worked for me years back took it + Icariin for 3 months; enough to downregulate PDE5 and 5-HT2A...now I don't need either of em. Smile
Why don't you need either of them now?
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Why don't you need either of them now?
PSSD Went away...I do still use them for enhancement every now & them.
Also the combo of ber + Icar rose my test from 898 ng/dl to 930 ng / dl
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Gonzo on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:43 pm

PSSD Went away...I do still use them for enhancement every now & them.
Also the combo of ber + Icar rose my test from 898 ng/dl to 930 ng / dl
For how long did you had PSSD??
And where can I get those things??
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

sexdrive on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Research seems inconclusive as always with herbs... In this study it raised serotonin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18585703

Berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) following its acute administration in mice resulted in increased levels of norepinephrine (31%), serotonin (47%) and dopamine (31%) in the whole brain. Chronic administration of berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) for 15 days significantly increased the levels of norepinephrine (29%), serotonin (19%) as well as dopamine (52%) but at higher dose (10 mg/kg, i.p.), there was no change in the norepinephrine (12%) levels but a significant increase in the serotonin (53%) and dopamine (31%) levels was found.

Much lower dosis (5, 10, 20 mg/kg, i.p.) than in the other study. But it was i.p. (Intraperitoneal injection or IP injection is the injection of a substance into the peritoneum (body cavity)). In the other study they used BER at 100, 500 mg/kg and don't state if oral or whatever and they talk about brain stem. Maybe it's different for each brain region.

Could be a shot in the dark, but as you know the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Very Happy

Some infos more
http://examine.com/supplements/Berberine/
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:37 pm

sexdrive wrote:
Research seems inconclusive as always with herbs... In this study it raised serotonin.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18585703]ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18585703

Berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) following its acute administration in mice resulted in increased levels of norepinephrine (31%), serotonin (47%) and dopamine (31%) in the whole brain. Chronic administration of berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) for 15 days significantly increased the levels of norepinephrine (29%), serotonin (19%) as well as dopamine (52%) but at higher dose (10 mg/kg, i.p.), there was no change in the norepinephrine (12%) levels but a significant increase in the serotonin (53%) and dopamine (31%) levels was found.

Much lower dosis (5, 10, 20 mg/kg, i.p.) than in the other study. But it was i.p. (Intraperitoneal injection or IP injection is the injection of a substance into the peritoneum (body cavity)). In the other study they used BER at 100, 500 mg/kg and don't state if oral or whatever and they talk about brain stem. Maybe it's different for each brain region.

Could be a shot in the dark, but as you know the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Very Happy

Some infos more
supplements/Berberine/]examine.com/supplements/Berberine/
My blood levels of 5_H1AA went down on berb, got bloods and urine. So it must be region specific.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

apachuri on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Sonny, be careful before you take it. Read about it's effects on the liver to breakdown drugs you are taking:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2013 ... e.html?m=1