Class action lawsuit for people damaged by escitalopram?

Topics related to activism.
Janie

Class action lawsuit for people damaged by escitalopram?

Unread post by Janie »

I found this class action lawsuit against Merck/Propecia.

https://www.classaction.com/propecia/la ... ia-lawsuit

Could the people here who were damaged by escitalopram start a similar class action lawsuit against Forest Laboratories? This drug and its "sibling" citalopram are the worst SSRIs causing permanent damage and PSSD. It does not appear on any leaflet as far as I know. I found another interesting part in above article related to PFS:

"The problem is that DHT activates the GABAA receptor, and diminished GABAA activity has been linked to sexual dysfunction (among other side effects). By curbing DHT production, Propecia increases the risk of impotence, erectile dysfunction, and other sexual side effects in men."

They link the permanent sexual dysfunction to GABAa receptor activation. Could this apply to SSRIs as well? Pls help anyone who is more knowledgeable. Thx!
popike27

Re: Class action lawsuit for people damaged by escitalopram?

Unread post by popike27 »

Janie, where are you from? I wrote you a private message.
Janie

Unread post by Janie »

I find it really strange. Really no one tried/started lawsuit for PSSD? Even now that it is recognised by EMA? Please comment if you are trying now or did it or pm me (not necessarily escitalopram). Thanks.
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

The link with GABAa is particularly interesting to me. I suffer from permanent depersonalization/derealization from cannabis consumption as a teenager, which seems to be linked to GABAergic dysfunction.

http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 3dy#p27742

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-11645-8

Anyone have any speculations as to what the implications might be? Would increased DHT improve me from both a DP/DR and PSSD standpoint? I've wondered if my DP/DR/GABAergic dysfunction could have predisposed me to PSSD. I developed PSSD about 2.5-3 years after getting DP/DR, when I was put on SSRIs after a psych insisted I was "depressed" and they would make my brain fog go away.
Janie

Unread post by Janie »

Maybe I should have asked that gaba thing in different thread. I'm currently interested in lawsuits. I find it impossible that no one went for it?
GIXXER

Unread post by GIXXER »

I think its impossible to prove at this time. Maybe now that EMA reconises PSSD lawsuits will start to happen.
Spins

Unread post by Spins »

Perhaps it is the only language the current medical system understands is "lawsuit".
sylv

Unread post by sylv »

GIXXER wrote:I think its impossible to prove at this time. Maybe now that EMA reconises PSSD lawsuits will start to happen.
Maybe better to sue FDA ? Their actions are a classic example of negligence. The pharmaceutical companies provide all the data in accordance with the rules and requests drawn by a medical regulation agency. We know they have had all the data in their databases and investigated nothing. Even now they stay silent on Healy petition.
Spins

Unread post by Spins »

sylv wrote:
GIXXER wrote:I think its impossible to prove at this time. Maybe now that EMA reconises PSSD lawsuits will start to happen.
Maybe better to sue FDA ? Their actions are a classic example of negligence. The pharmaceutical companies provide all the data in accordance with the rules and requests drawn by a medical regulation agency. We know they have had all the data in their databases and investigated nothing. Even now they stay silent on Healy petition.
The system is corrupt beyond repair. I think the issue with any lawsuit is that Doctors are taught that psychological illnesses (i.e., depression, anxiety, etc...) are neuro-degenerative by nature. So, it's not the drugs causing system wide damage but its your "disease". We are telling them that they are wrong, but there's no test that can 100% prove that the drugs did the damage. We would need medical experts to testify on our behalf, that it is the drugs causing the damage and not our genetics. A jury would look to these experts to tell them it's possible. Unfortunately, there aren't too many willing to come forward and say it's possible to testify on our behalf, especially with their connection to the industry. Healy maybe, but I'll never understand that man. Goldstein maybe, if he is willing. I had 3 doctors blame the damage on my genetics and not the drugs. Look at the PFS guys, most of them had no history of "mental illness" and they don't have much support either.
Maxin

Unread post by Maxin »

I’m surprised no one has as of yet. The only lawsuits so far are for babies damaged in utero. I looked into it. Go any class action you need at least 30 people. Which we could easily do.
My issue with how this will go down is that our symptoms all manifest so differently. Also, of course it will be hard to prove because they will blame our issues on depression. Now that we’ve been branded as needing to take an ssri, I can foresee them saying that our symptoms are just more manifestations of “depression”.
I know that this is literally called pssd forum. But for me, and many others that I’ve gotten to know, our issues go way beyond just sexual side effects. I for one don’t even have bad sexual issues. I have debilitating fatigue and anhedonia. So I would love to come up with a proper name for us that have disability issues from ssri. Like post ssri neuroendocrine disorder. Or post ssri nervous system dysfunction. Any better ideas welcome!