Mianserin

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Jaxx

Re: Cured by Mianserin 30mg

Unread post by Jaxx »

I can only see something about the groggyness of mirta. It is something that goes away after 2 weeks or so, not sure if it really is dosage related, as people tend to build up the dose anyway and then it's less clear if it's the build-up period or the higher dosage. I took it before bed, which knocked me out fast, but i wasnt groggy during the day after week 2 or so.
jaiho

Unread post by jaiho »

Effexor or Cymbalta mixes very well with Mianserin or Mirtazapine, turning the combo into 'California Rocket Fuel'
Apparently these two SNRIs counter the fatigue.
Also, Mianserin should counter the sexual side effects of the SNRIs. The lack of libido, and physical pleasure is likely mediated by 5HT2C receptors, when serotonin hits them, it reduces tonic & burst firing rates of DA neurons. Mianserin & Mirtazapine both block these receptors, allowing the SSRI/SNRI to flourish with it's DA release in the remaining 5HT receptors.
Ghost

Re: Mianserin

Unread post by Ghost »

Topics merged 8/27/17
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Coraggio

Unread post by Coraggio »

Lara J. wrote:Hello!

I am a 27-year-old woman, who was put on Citalopram 4 years ago. I had no benefit of the drug but had almost every possible side effect. However, my doctor insisted on me staying on the drugs and prescribed even more and more. When I talked about quitting (which I often did), she almost yelled at me and told that I am not allowed to quit and also intimidated me about how horrible quitting the drugs is. She said that I shouldn't quit them, no matter what. When I talked about my anhedonia, sexual side effects and being horrible tired (and even about having severe allergic reactions on my face, e.g. urticaria, which I had at last 3 times during the treatment), she just got mad and insisted on me staying on the drugs. I still wonder how I was so stupid and didn't think about myself at the time and did as she said. But, unfortunately, she is my family friend from childhood and maybe that is why I believed her. Also, I think that my general apathy (which was caused by the drugs only) affected me and made me not to think about my own best and made me act against my values (I had always been against all psychiatric drugs).

However. After quitting the drugs, I felt a huge sex drive approximately 1-2 months after quitting. I mean, more than ever. Unfortunately my orgasms were still very premature, though. It took me only a couple of seconds to have them after beginning masturbation. This was very disappointing. But I did not worry about pssd back then.

However, during the following months my sex drive (which had always been huge, even when I had depression) started to go down. Orgasms were still very premature and not so strong as before ssri-medication, and they did not leave me very satisfied. I did not realize it was because of the drugs, however, as I had never heard of pssd. And I did not quite realize that my sex drive was fading all the time.

After 2 years from quitting Citalopram, I finally realized that I had totally lost my sex drive. Before I had attributed it to my difficult life circumstances during those years, but now I realized that it was totally because of pssd. Because it was exactly what it had been from the first day after starting ssri in the first place. All pleasure from sex had gone away, and orgasms were pleasureless and super premature (came only a couple of seconds after beginning masturbation). The orgams were more like reflexes, but had no pleasure in them. On top of that, they felt very weirdly "electric". As I had electricity running in me, but not in a good kind of way. More or less in a sick kind of way. I now attribute that to 5ht-3-receptors which are different from other serotonin receptors and act with electric messaging. These are also the receptors that affect orgasming. So that is why I (and many other people with pssd) can have premature orgasms/ ejaculation even though sexuality is low in general.

During ssri:s, and after quitting them, I had no interest in guys, even though I used to be a person who gets smitten very easily. I still don't realize how I had not realized this back then, but maybe it is because my mood and health were so bad during ssri:s and after. I had to just focus on getting through the day somehow. I had anhedonia and no creativity, and no interest in people, after starting to take ssris and and two years after them. And I had been very creative and very social before (I am an ENFP in Myers Briggs personality chart, if someone has heard of it ;) ).

However, I managed to find a great psychiatrist this spring after realizing I had pssd. He is a professor at one of our most prestigious universities and generally a very nice person, and most importantly, believes in what his clients tell him. So he told me that he has treated 20 clients suffering from pssd during his career (and he lives and practices in a city of 160 000 inhabitants. And he is just ONE psychiatrist. So these cases really do exist, more than many physicians think, and contrary to what pharma industries are willing to admit!!).

But. What I wanted to tell you all here in this forum is this: he said that many of his clients have been cured, and as far as he knew, most of them who are cured are cured 100 %. He said he has prescribed two types of treatments. They are:
- mianserin (varying doses)
- fluoxetine - and then tapering down veeeery slowly, more slowly than physicians usually say - super slowly, and under careful surveillance

Okay. So when I heard of this, I got scared of the fluoxetine option. Even though he said it is his first recommendation. I, however, was too scared of going on ssri:s again. So I wanted to try mianserin. But the idea in the fluoxetine treatment (he told this) is that fluoxetine has a much longer half life than the other ssri:s. And he said that one possible cause for pssd is that some people's physiology needs a much slower and much more gradual tapering of the drugs - fluoxetine is the only drug of ssri:s that allows this, and even with it, he says that people suffering of pssd would have needed a much slower tapering down. He says that this is the way that the genes in the neurons get used to the new situation. Tapering of other ssri:s and, in general, not slow enough tapering is violent to the neurons (they do not know what they are supposed to do anymore).

I, however, tried mianserin. I have experienced healing in some aspects. I started to have sexual dreams at times and "windows" where I would feel sexual desire. Orgasms with pleasure came back and, I think, numbness largely went away. I still don't feel spontaneous desire very much, I mean, if I don't have anything that arouses it (contrary to before when I could suddenly get huge desire, say, in the middle of a school or working day). One of the things that still remain unresolved is that I have premature orgasms. It takes wayyyy too little time to achieve on orgasm. And, because of that, the desire and enjoyment can't grow very big before, because they just don't have the time to build up. Now my biggest wishes are:
- to get that spontaneous desire back
- to get an arousal that builds up and doesn't go away too quickly because of premature arousal & orgasms

Also, I think that before I enjoyed sex more, but that is largely because desire & arousal had more time to build up and grow very big before resolving. I am not super sure if all of the numbness has gone away but much of it is. I am still going to use Mianserin and maybe increase the dose. Now I have been taking it 3 months, of which only 1 month with 30 mg. Before that I had a lower dose, because my psychiatrist wanted it to be that way as I had been so sensitive to the side effects of drugs before. Now I have taken only 20 mg for the past 1,5 weeks, which was my own decision, because of the hunger and tiredness (the only side effects of Mianserin) grew so big, and I also think that my pssd didn't improve going from 20 mg to 30 mg. However, when I visit my doctor I am going to ask if I still could increase the dose (I mean, to 50 mg or so - the biggest one is allowed to prescribe in my country is 90 mg). I was just so tired and hungry (to the point that I almost felt like fainting most of the time) that I decided to make it 20 mg instead of 30 mg. I had some very important exams in Uni (am doing a second degree now) so I couldn't be hungry and tired to the point of fainting.

To cut the long story short: I just wanted to give faith to you guys by telling what my psychiatrist said about possible treatments and cures and, by telling what I myself have experienced with Mianserin. Please don't get mad at me because of me presenting the fluoxetine treatment option - I know that most visitors on these pages curse ssri:s to hell (as I do as well) but this is just what my psychiatrist tells me. And he says that most of his successes with pssd have come with the fluoxetine treatment and then tapering down slowly.

I am going to continue with Mianserin and then, if that doesn't help, try the fluoxetine treatment.

Also, about Mianserin (if some of you are curious):
- my emotions, positivity, emotional balance and creativity have improved with it a lot - at some point I even thought that I can't even be anhedonic or worried when on these drugs
- my sleep is more refreshing and, especially in the beginning of the treatment, I had very vivid and positive, somehow emotionally "healing" dreams

And about the side effects of Mianserin: tiredness during the day is linked with hunger - I am quite hungry when on Mianserin, and when I am, I feel very tired if I don't get food but the tiredness improves when the hunger goes away - so these are not very bad side effects, unless you have some important work / exams to do - so don't be worried about them if you want to try Mianserin :)
Thanks Lara! Very useful infos, I wish the best of your attempt!

This is an important info: mianserin has the same effects of SSRI about neurosyeroid: it upregulates allopregnanolone production.

Maybe, our PSSD condition is mainly due to the allopregnanolone withdrawal. It is proven that it causes a Gaba receptor impairment. Gaba is very important for the whole brain, also for dopaminergic neuronsactivity and reward system.

I think that Lara Attempt is very very similar to low dose SSRI and pete recovery. Someone spoke about paxil progress method that it consists in low tapering SSRI.

Lara, what is the name of your psy?
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

The reason many of people feel brain zaps is, maybe, related to some temporary GABA dysfunction, and this is related to allopregnenolone.
"Endogenously produced allopregnanolone exerts a pivotal neurophysiological role by fine-tuning of GABAA receptor and modulating the action of several positive allosteric modulators and agonists at GABAA receptor"

I know SSRI increases allopregnenolone production. Well, for me, it seems the best theory is the neurosteroid theory.
Glitch

Unread post by Glitch »

I was on Lexapro and Seroquel for a while with a SUPER high libido. Nothing out of the ordinary. I went off for like a year and then on Citalopram. That's when I started having libido problems.
When I went off of the Citalopram and Seroquel, I didn't taper properly at all and man, those brain zaps were insane! I had never heard of them so I looked them up as soon as I got them.
Coraggio

Glitch wrote:I was on Lexapro and Seroquel for a while with a SUPER high libido. Nothing out of the ordinary. I went off for like a year and then on Citalopram. That's when I started having libido problems.
When I went off of the Citalopram and Seroquel, I didn't taper properly at all and man, those brain zaps were insane! I had never heard of them so I looked them up as soon as I got them.

Guys, there is another psychiatric from USA Peter R. Breggin that he is batling against over prescribed psy drugs. He claims that there are very very very dangerous and points the problem how to withdrawal from them, just like a heroin addicted. We should contact him asking about PSSD and withdrawal. It seems very seroius and he speaks very hard against drugs.

Look at him on youtube:
https://youtu.be/luKsQaj0hzs

He has also a website and He has written a book. Are there any mother language that want contact him asking about his knowledge about PSSD? I am sure that He is going to believe us.
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

He belives, his wife too...this is not belief issue...it is interest conflict + ignorance, since it not someones problem....who cares...
Btw it s look allopregnenolpne tolerance issue make sens
to me...what d be natural way to improve it?
Sorry for my bad (terrible) English.
Coraggio

Coraggio wrote:
Glitch wrote:I was on Lexapro and Seroquel for a while with a SUPER high libido. Nothing out of the ordinary. I went off for like a year and then on Citalopram. That's when I started having libido problems.

Guys, there is another psychiatric from USA Peter R. Breggin that he is batling against over prescribed psy drugs. He claims that there are very very very dangerous and points the problem how to withdrawal from them, just like a heroin addicted. We should contact him asking about PSSD and withdrawal. It seems very seroius and he speaks very hard against drugs.

Look at him on youtube:
https://youtu.be/luKsQaj0hzs

He has also a website and He has written a book. Are there any mother language that want contact him asking about his knowledge about PSSD? I am sure that He is going to believe us.
If I were from USA I will go to him for an appointment.
namaste

Unread post by namaste »

Interestingly enough, allopregnanolone and progesterone are heavily intertwined.

Revisiting the roles of progesterone and allopregnanolone in the nervous system: resurgence of the progesterone receptors
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24172649