PSSD Genome Project [Megathread]

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
FindGoodNickname

Re: PSSD Genome Project [Megathread]

Unread post by FindGoodNickname »

I had a chat with chat.openai because I wanted to see if we could use the machine learning nerds (I'm a nerd myself) in a kaggle contest for PSSD research.

To make it short: It said that there was a study in 2012 that suggested that people who have a gene varation (5-HTTLPR polymorphism) have an increased risk to develop PSSD.

Ghost, you do have some DNA tests in your collection, don't you?
Is this data freely available for research to check about it?

Here is the entire chat:
---------------
Research on the specific biomarkers associated with PSSD is still ongoing, and there is currently no definitive set of biomarkers that can be used to diagnose or predict PSSD with a high degree of accuracy. However, some potential biomarkers that have been investigated in previous research studies include:

Neurotransmitter Levels: Imbalances in neurotransmitter levels, particularly serotonin, have been linked to the development of PSSD symptoms. Therefore, analyzing levels of serotonin and other neurotransmitters in the blood or cerebrospinal fluid could be a potential biomarker for PSSD.

Hormone Levels: Hormone imbalances have also been implicated in the development of PSSD symptoms. Studies have found that patients with PSSD often have lower levels of testosterone and other sex hormones, suggesting that analyzing hormone levels in the blood could be a potential biomarker for PSSD.

Genetic Variations: Certain genetic variations have been associated with an increased risk of developing PSSD. For example, one study found that a specific genetic variation in the serotonin transporter gene was associated with an increased risk of PSSD in male patients.

Q: which study are you talking about?

The study I mentioned that found a specific genetic variation in the serotonin transporter gene was associated with an increased risk of PSSD in male patients is "Association of a Polymorphism in the Promoter Region of the Serotonin Transporter Gene With Sexual Dysfunction in Women Taking Antidepressants" by Kim et al. (2012). Although this study focused on female patients, other studies have also investigated the role of genetic variations in PSSD development in both male and female patients.

The study by Kim et al. (2012) identified a specific genetic variation in the serotonin transporter gene that was associated with an increased risk of sexual dysfunction in female patients taking antidepressants. This suggests that genetic testing could potentially be used as a biomarker for PSSD risk, particularly for patients who have this specific genetic variation.

One potential solution for incorporating this finding into a Kaggle competition would be to provide participants with genetic data for patients who have been prescribed SSRIs and evaluate the performance of their models in predicting PSSD symptoms in patients with this specific genetic variation. Participants could also be provided with data on other potential risk factors for PSSD, such as medication dosage and duration, comorbidities, and demographic variables, to enable them to develop more comprehensive models.

It's important to note, however, that genetic testing alone may not be sufficient for accurately predicting PSSD, and incorporating other clinical and demographic variables may be necessary for developing effective prediction models. Furthermore, more research is needed to confirm the association between this specific genetic variation and PSSD risk and to identify other potential biomarkers and risk factors for PSSD.

Q: How could one fiind out if he has this variation?

To find out if someone has the specific genetic variation in the serotonin transporter gene that has been associated with an increased risk of PSSD in some studies, a genetic test would be needed.

There are different types of genetic tests, but the most common test for this variation is a DNA test. This test can be performed using a saliva or blood sample, which is sent to a laboratory for analysis. The laboratory will extract DNA from the sample and analyze specific regions of the serotonin transporter gene to determine if the patient has the variation in question.

It's important to note that genetic testing is not routinely recommended for PSSD diagnosis or prediction at this time. The use of genetic testing for PSSD risk assessment is still an area of active research, and more studies are needed to validate the association between this genetic variation and PSSD risk, as well as to identify other potential genetic and non-genetic risk factors for PSSD. If someone is concerned about their risk of PSSD or has symptoms of PSSD, they should consult with a healthcare provider for evaluation and management.

Q: can any dna test detect this?

Yes, a genetic test for the specific genetic variation in the serotonin transporter gene associated with an increased risk of PSSD can be performed using a standard DNA test.

This genetic variation is known as the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism, which affects the expression of the serotonin transporter gene. The 5-HTTLPR polymorphism can be detected using various genetic testing methods, such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and DNA sequencing.

It's important to note, however, that genetic testing for PSSD risk assessment is still an area of active research, and more studies are needed to validate the association between this genetic variation and PSSD risk, as well as to identify other potential genetic and non-genetic risk factors for PSSD. Furthermore, the use of genetic testing for PSSD diagnosis or prediction is not routinely recommended at this time, and any genetic testing should be performed and interpreted by qualified healthcare professionals with expertise in genetic testing and counseling.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

Is it possible that chat.openai doesn’t understand that PSSD is only if symptoms persist after stopping the medication? All the studies it refers to are about sexual dysfunction during intake, not about PSSD. There definitely are no studies on biomarkers in PSSD patients.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I plan to touch this project again this summer when I have a break from school. It's still one of my top priorities outside of networking and documenting the history of PSSD and our anecdotal self-experiments.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
FindGoodNickname

Numby wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:42 am Is it possible that chat.openai doesn’t understand that PSSD is only if symptoms persist after stopping the medication? All the studies it refers to are about sexual dysfunction during intake, not about PSSD. There definitely are no studies on biomarkers in PSSD patients.
Yes, that is perfectly true.
But even PSSD survey do not really reflect that in my opinion.
https://rxisk.org/queens-university-pss ... h-project/
I have gone through this survey, and I was under the impression that it was not perfectly clear when exactely PSSD occurs.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: The survey is being edited. :-D The author responded very nicely to my suggestions.

I also tried to change wikipedia because it does not point out that PSSD is what occurs AFTER stopping an SSRI.
Had it been pointed out that PSSD is something that occurs AFTER quitting, I would not have quit.
Last edited by FindGoodNickname on Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
FindGoodNickname

Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:54 pm I plan to touch this project again this summer when I have a break from school. It's still one of my top priorities outside of networking and documenting the history of PSSD and our anecdotal self-experiments.
Can you make the database public so that other people might help? Like github with branches? :-)
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

@FindGoodNickname I sent you a pn.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

https://pssdlab.wordpress.com/raw-data- ... e-project/

This is where I have some of the code I used to create the compiled file. A github is a really good idea and right now it's kinda been a mess. I barely knew what I was doing when i wrote the python to create these files and to scrape the NIH database for genome data, I'm sure I'd do a much cleaner job now.

The issue with the raw data is privacy. I never asked for permission from people to share their personal genomes in full when I collected the data, and I'm not sure if there are identifying pieces of information in them I just need to spend some time sorting through the files and looking at that.

Realistically there has to be a way to safely do this but I'm just not sure yet.

"Real" genetics research takes into account several SNPs at once and a whole host of things I don't fully understand. I'd love to hand the entire project off to a grad student or research team who is much more equipped than I am to do this the right way.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
prop

Unread post by prop »

How do you handle the problem of not knowing whether the control group is even actually a control group? Maybe 100% of the population is susceptible to PSSD, but the stars just haven't aligned in their disfavor yet. Many report not getting PSSD until their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th trial of an SSRI, often even the same exact one.
Archive of PSSD recovery stories: https://pssd.netlify.app/
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

prop wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:26 am How do you handle the problem of not knowing whether the control group is even actually a control group? Maybe 100% of the population is susceptible to PSSD, but the stars just haven't aligned in their disfavor yet. Many report not getting PSSD until their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th trial of an SSRI, often even the same exact one.
This is a great point, and it makes the math harder I beleive. Ideally you compare to a group of people who have the same conditions as us but didn't get PSSD.

Because a large % of the population takes SSRIs I think overall we can still look for trends.
FindGoodNickname

Ghost, I am sure you are aware of kaggle. It's a place where people can post contests, and machine learning teams will compete to find the best solution to the problem.
Do you think your data would be sufficient for such a contest?