GABA issue?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Darman

GABA issue?

Unread post by Darman »

Im interested if anyone else seems to have no/little reaction to things like Diazepam? They dont seem to do anything for me and I was wondering if this could be PSSD related.
arahant

Re: GABA issue?

Unread post by arahant »

Darman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:09 am Im interested if anyone else seems to have no/little reaction to things like Diazepam? They dont seem to do anything for me and I was wondering if this could be PSSD related.

It depends a lot on many variables; if you are already a Benzo user, you might have already built tolerance, so the dosage might still need adjustment; some doctors prescribe the lowest dose fearing the risk of addiction/abuse, but it depends on which symptoms you expect it to work on.
Benzos are approved for short-term relief in panic attacks and generalized anxiety; for example, they seem ineffective for OCD and can worsen depressive states if abused.

How is your SSRI reinstatement going? Are you taking the recommended dosage?
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

arahant wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:37 am
Darman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:09 am Im interested if anyone else seems to have no/little reaction to things like Diazepam? They dont seem to do anything for me and I was wondering if this could be PSSD related.

It depends a lot on many variables; if you are already a Benzo user, you might have already built tolerance, so the dosage might still need adjustment; some doctors prescribe the lowest dose fearing the risk of addiction/abuse, but it depends on which symptoms you expect it to work on.
Benzos are approved for short-term relief in panic attacks and generalized anxiety; for example, they seem ineffective for OCD and can worsen depressive states if abused.

Hi Thanks for your reply.

day 14 today on 5mg Citalopram. No improvements PSSD or anxiety. I was given Diazepam but have only ever tried 5mg years ago. 5mg did nothing, 10mg nothing. Doesn't seem to work for me so I thought there may be a connection. I really dont know whats going on but since COVID in December my anxiety is crazy and this time there are physical symptoms that Im not used to....like a glow over my body - its horrible. Anyway tomorrow Im seeing new Psychiatrist and will give him the full story (inc PSSD)...lets see what he may suggest.

Many thanks
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Darman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:49 am
arahant wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:37 am

Hi Thanks for your reply.

day 14 today on 5mg Citalopram. No improvements PSSD or anxiety. I was given Diazepam but have only ever tried 5mg years ago. 5mg did nothing, 10mg nothing. Doesn't seem to work for me so I thought there may be a connection. I really dont know whats going on but since COVID in December my anxiety is crazy and this time there are physical symptoms that Im not used to....like a glow over my body - its horrible. Anyway tomorrow Im seeing new Psychiatrist and will give him the full story (inc PSSD)...lets see what he may suggest.

Many thanks
Is 5 mg citalopram within the expected dose range for your symptoms?
Also, watch out for sleep issues, it can easily worsen things a lot.
Good look with the new doctor.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

I think I was on at least 20mg in the past but thought I would start on a low dose to see if it worked. Anyway thanks.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Darman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:34 am I think I was on at least 20mg in the past but thought I would start on a low dose to see if it worked. Anyway thanks.
Dosing is always tricky; those drugs were tested at a given range to optimize the effects/side effects ratio; challenging to know if 5 mg is enough to do anything but maybe enough to give side effects.

If you look at any drug's dose/response curves, it is not linear. https://www.merckmanuals.com/profession ... onse-curve
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

Thanks again. Interesting not linear yes. Thing is I resisted these drugs for 4 years due to PSSD, and never wanted to reinstate. I suppose the low starting dose was simply to test for any PSSD improvement. I do remember on a high dose being basically a zombie and really don't want that again, but perhaps that's as good as it gets...

I'll chat with the quack tomorrow. All the best, its some comfort to know one's not alone with this.
lukejimmy

Unread post by lukejimmy »

Absolutely yes,
Remember SSRI's are more potent Neuroactive Steroid Stimulants then they are Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.
PFS patients have proven to be deficient in Neuroactive Steroids Persistently - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6652249/:
"Indeed, in these patients the blockade of 5α-R activity by finasteride results in significant accumulation of testosterone and significant reduction of 5α-reduced metabolites DHT and DHP, the latter being even undetectable".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7231981/:
"In addition, a subset of post-finasteride patients with persistent symptomatology showed a decline in their alcohol consumption (Irwig, 2013). This is very interesting, because a relationship between GABAergic neuroactive steroids and ethanol consumption is well ascertained (Kumar et al., 2009)."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... l_referrer:
"Specifically, alcohol increased anxiety, tiredness, and dizziness. Some subjects reported that intoxication occurred with fewer drinks than before, that they lost the sense of euphoria and relaxation previously associated with alcohol, and that they experienced longer times to recover from the effects of alcohol. Eighteen subjects reported giving up alcohol entirely."
Neuroactive Steroids increase GABA receptor sensitivity, so a deficiency in these endogenous compounds would lead to a reduced response to GABAergic substances such as Alcohol, hence the anhedonic response to Ethanol described above.
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

Benzos (Diazepam) don’t cause PSSD, can temporary lower or improve libido but everything will back to normal. Sometimes I feel diazepam help me on sex drive, maybe because of tense / anxiety day.