Anyone else feel like they can’t fall back asleep anymore?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Terabithia

Anyone else feel like they can’t fall back asleep anymore?

Unread post by Terabithia »

Does anyone else feel like when they wake up they can’t go back to sleep no matter how hard they try? It’s as though there is a block in the brain preventing me from feeling that tired/ groggy stupor upon waking. Once i’m awake i’m wide awake and my sleep feels superficial and not very restful.

Before PSSD i’d feel lethargic to get out of bed and I have the desire to fall back asleep but not anymore. What could this symptom indicate?
redditorx4

Re: Anyone else feel like they can’t fall back asleep anymore?

Unread post by redditorx4 »

no i sleep fine but late
Semogomes

Unread post by Semogomes »

Yeah I feel that and it's fucking disturbing. And probably it's related to circadian rhythm then probably adrenal hormones like cortisol response, norepinephrine, etc. Just a guess.

Also I can't feel tired or the desire to take a nap anymore.

Btw, you trying any lifestyle changes? When I was committed to healthy habits (diet mostly, and some exercise) my sleep was very good. Was the only improvement tho, not in sexual or emotional ones
Terabithia

Unread post by Terabithia »

It really is disturbing. Something I tried that gave me incredibly refreshing sleep was 100mg of Phenibut before bed. Keep in mind that Phenibut is VERY dangerous if abused and should only be used once or twice a week at responsible dosages. Another thing I tried that helps the “stunned awake” feeling in the morning is Cyproheptadine. When I trialled Cyproheptadine I had deep and long sleeps and woke up groggy which felt healthier than being stunned awake with a brain block feeling.

I’ve been trying to incorporate lifestyle changes throughout including lifting heavy, cold showers, good diet but honestly my sleep is severely lacking as i’m finding it hard to fall asleep. I don’t ever feel tired or sleepy even after being awake for 24 hours I just feel a low grade headache and fatigue.

This isn’t a consistent symptom that I have it comes and goes and my intuition tells me that it happens when my serotonin gets too high and when my HPA axis/ stress hormones are out of wack. I could be wrong about that but it’s what I suspect.
TalkingAnt

Unread post by TalkingAnt »

Sounds like anxiety. Stress/anxiety can put you in a state of hyperarousal in which you feel "tired but wired." You can retrain your mind out of this state with the right methods. I can recommend a book, "Untangle your Anxiety" (audiobook), as well as a podcast that applies a similar method to sleep-related anxiety Sleep Coach School.
Cured | PSSD 2012-2020 | Log thread
alteredhomeostasis

Unread post by alteredhomeostasis »

I have the opposite issue. Lately I can’t stay awake at night. As soon as I get the kids down and start gaming or watching tv I have maybe 20 minutes before I pass out. Sucks cuz I want to chill!