New Doctor info

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Darman

New Doctor info

Unread post by Darman »

Hi All

Im about to visit a new psychiatrist and am not looking forward to the bit where they have either 'never heard of PSSD' or simply dont believe me. Does anyone know of a really good site/document that explains (and proves) that it is a thing a doctor may understand and more importantly believe? I hope that made sense.
GIXXER

Re: New Doctor info

Unread post by GIXXER »

You could use the resource page on Pssdcanada.ca
sylv

Unread post by sylv »

They don't see PSSD because they choose to not see and believe in PSSD.

You can check it by yourself. If you state your experiences doctor will quickly turn to medical gaslighting by not asking any specific question about your experiences . He will quickly dismiss them as not possible and something else. If you show him papers he will most likely put them off without much attention or even reading, or just glance without thinking. At this moment he may passive-aggressively ask you why are you coming to him if you know better and asking him for help.. Most victims at this point will just surrender to doctor and accept his view, just reinforcing his presumption that he never saw a PSSD case.
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

sylv wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:24 am They don't see PSSD because they choose to not see and believe in PSSD.

You can check it by yourself. If you state your experiences doctor will quickly turn to medical gaslighting by not asking any specific question about your experiences . He will quickly dismiss them as not possible and something else. If you show him papers he will most likely put them off without much attention or even reading, or just glance without thinking. At this moment he may passive-aggressively ask you why are you coming to him if you know better and asking him for help.. Most victims at this point will just surrender to doctor and accept his view, just reinforcing his presumption that he never saw a PSSD case.
this is a fear I have. The thing is Im seeing her regarding OCD/OCPD/PTSD but as PSSD is so damaging it will come up - and after nearlly 4 years off any meds (due to PSSD) I need them to understand my fears.
sylv

Unread post by sylv »

They will not consider this risk as possible. It's only your decision what you will do.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

There are professionals that are aware of pssd, depending on your location you could go to one. I found one some years ago that was aware of rare reports and was understanding from the start. In most cases they will not be able to help you but can think with you.
Looking at an entire profession as good or bad doesnt make much sense..
sylv

Unread post by sylv »

Profession as a whole works by using guidelines.No guideline recognize PSSD. Hence medical decision will not be based on a right information. This is what could be expected as a standard from random doctor. Gaslighting by a doctor and wrong medical decision both could cause serious harm.

There are VERY RARE exceptions like Dr Shipko, but in a such cases there is no need to show them any papers. Most doctors look on a patient bringing research as a hypochondriac who read something on the internet.
Darman

Unread post by Darman »

GIXXER wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:42 am You could use the resource page on Pssdcanada.ca
Thanks for this