PSSD From Trazodone (50mg)?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
sufferer183

PSSD From Trazodone (50mg)?

Unread post by sufferer183 »

Hey,

so about 6 weeks ago I started taking Trazodone (50mg) for Insomnia (which started for me due to long covid I'm pretty sure). It helped in that regard and I didn't really got any significant side effects besides drowsyness in the AM and also spontaneous erections in the night and morning (not prolonged from what I know).

It also seemed like it upped my sexdrive the first few weeks.

But since about last week I kind of didn't felt like myself and lost motivation and drive so I decided to stop using Trazodone since I think it is caused by it. (Since nothing else changed).

I decided to taper using 25mg now for a few days and my sex drive is gone, like completely gone. I also can't get an erection. Also I generally don't feel good, no motivation and also blunted emotion, brain fog and just this artificially feeling of like "everything is okay" that i got about a week ago.

Now I read about PSSD and im disturbed. Do you think this sounds like it and should a resume taper or even quit?

I could try fight the Insomnia with benadryl or alike. On 25mg I seem to sleep okayisch but yesterday I tried to skip it and I had to take it 2 hours later since with only melatonin no sleep was in sight.

Could this be PSSD or could this also likely be caused by the (taper)withdrawal?
Opressorzx

Re: PSSD From Trazodone (50mg)?

Unread post by Opressorzx »

Hey sufferer, for the moment it is soon to conclude something but you should see improvements in the next days, weeks or months.

The advice I give you is to not use any other medication and wait for your body to recover naturally, eating healty food, good sleep, water and exercices those will help you probably.
sufferer183

Unread post by sufferer183 »

Thanks for your words.
Would you suggest to taper the Traz or just stop it to speed up the recovery? (Since the Dose is really small already)
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

PSSD is rare, PSSD from Trazodone is even more rare. Just taper off slowly. You feel some changes but with time everything back to normal.
Semogomes

Unread post by Semogomes »

Unfortunately it can happen, apparently. Btw, it can happen with any class of psychiatric drug to be honest. The thing is, SSRIs are like candy by the doctors' eyes and then they are way more prescribed, consequently, more anecdotal data about them.

PSSD is just a stupid name/acronym that someone came with, and can misguide people. First because it's no exclusive for SSRIs, secondly, not just about sexual dysfunction. Really stupid name that only makes the awareness/stigma of the condition worse. It must be changed.

Anyways, I'm sorry you're going through it and hope you be better soon.
Trazedy

Unread post by Trazedy »

There is no evidence whatsoever that PSSD from Trazodone is less or more or differently common compared to SSRIs.
Obviously SSRIs are more used than Trazodone, so it is expected to see more cases in comparison.

PSSD can happen after any Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SRI), not just the selective ones (SSRIs), therefore it can happen after Trazodone, SNRIs, TCAs, some antibiotics and any drug that acts on SERT transporter.

I have been having PSSD from trazodone since 2018 and met many people with the same story. This being said I would check my hormones levels (especially testosterone, prolactin and SENSITIVE estradiol) and let time pass. I have also witnessed different people recovering with time after Trazodone use or having big improvements.
Neuroscience MD researcher. Ita Male 30yo.

28 pills of Trazodone 75mg on Sept '18. Cold Turkey.
1y severe penis shrink/numb/ED
4y ED 7/10+numb 5/10+orgasm 3/10+libido 0
5y ED 9/10+numb 8/10+orgasm 6/10+libido 2