Pssd could be an ghrelin dysfunction induced by serotonin 2c antagonism that caused antibodies on that same receptor

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
Brain food

Re: Pssd could be an ghrelin dysfunction induced by serotonin 2c antagonism that caused antibodies on that same receptor

Unread post by Brain food »

Darman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:46 am Wouldn't Ghrelin dysfunction cause a reduced appetite? Mine is no lower.
My appetite is lower as well. My endocrinologist didn't know how to order a lab test for ghrelin though. He said that it's mainly being used for research studies now. I'm curious if people with PSSD have lower ghrelin levels than the general population.
Tree

Re: Pssd could be an ghrelin dysfunction induced by serotonin 2c antagonism that caused antibodies on that same receptor

Unread post by Tree »

Serotonin suppresses ghrelin most people who have pssd experience lack of appetite it's caused by serotonin receptor desensitization.
Brain food

Tree wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:49 am Serotonin suppresses ghrelin most people who have pssd experience lack of appetite it's caused by serotonin receptor desensitization.
Tree, is there any proof of this? Have you heard of people with PSSD getting abnormal results on lab tests for ghrelin? If so, I might try to find a lab that will do this test.
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Administration of serotonin or a serotonin receptor agonist into the hypothalamus decreases ghrelin-induced food intake as well as ghrelin-induced increases in respiratory quotient (Currie et al., 2010).

Serotonin also increases glucose which suppresses ghrelin
Brain food

Tree wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:16 pm Administration of serotonin or a serotonin receptor agonist into the hypothalamus decreases ghrelin-induced food intake as well as ghrelin-induced increases in respiratory quotient (Currie et al., 2010).

Thank you for sending that. But is it proven that people with PSSD have different serotonin levels than the normal population?
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Brain food wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:16 pm
Tree wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:16 pm Administration of serotonin or a serotonin receptor agonist into the hypothalamus decreases ghrelin-induced food intake as well as ghrelin-induced increases in respiratory quotient (Currie et al., 2010).

Thank you for sending that. But is it proven that people with PSSD have different serotonin levels than the normal population?
My theory is in certain parts of the brain like the dorsal raphe nucleus, hippocampus, and hypothalamus serotonin becomes overly concentrated due to decrease in sert expression. There's many downstream effects, as a result of a decrease in sert function. I'm not sure if everyone with pssd has higher baseline serotonin levels but what I do know for sure is we are more susceptible to serotonin syndrome from other drugs or supplements. There's rat studies that show serotonin receptors desensitize from ssri use via sert inhibition but no studies that confirms pssd exists or what causes it. We are all speculating here based on limited research. Again, I'm nearly certain pssd is caused by a decrease in sert expression through epigenetic changes. Look at the research in my most active post if you want more information.
Brain food

Tree wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:50 pm

My theory is in certain parts of the brain like the dorsal raphe nucleus, hippocampus, and hypothalamus serotonin becomes overly concentrated due to decrease in sert expression. There's many downstream effects, as a result of a decrease in sert function. I'm not sure if everyone with pssd has higher baseline serotonin levels but what I do know for sure is we are more susceptible to serotonin syndrome from other drugs or supplements. There's rat studies that show serotonin receptors desensitize from ssri use via sert inhibition but no studies that confirms pssd exists or what causes it. We are all speculating here based on limited research. Again, I'm nearly certain pssd is caused by a decrease in sert expression through epigenetic changes. Look at the research in my most active post if you want more information.
Thank you. I wondering if there is any way to prove or disprove this theory with existing technology. There's so little published research on PSSD that I'm not sure what doctors have tried testing for and what they haven't. What I've heard from most people on these forum is that their doctors claim all of their test results are normal.
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Brain food wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:38 am

Thank you. I wondering if there is any way to prove or disprove this theory with existing technology. There's so little published research on PSSD that I'm not sure what doctors have tried testing for and what they haven't. What I've heard from most people on these forum is that their doctors claim all of their test results are normal.
I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I know they have discovered patients with Alzheimers disease have decreased sert expression. If they studied our brains there has to be some changes or something I'd imagine. We all show pretty clear symptoms of receptor desensitization. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that.
Brain food

Tree wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:07 am
Brain food wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:38 am

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I know they have discovered patients with Alzheimers disease have decreased sert expression. If they studied our brains there has to be some changes or something I'd imagine. We all show pretty clear symptoms of receptor desensitization. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that.
There are actually some studies showing that ghrelin plays a role In Alzheimer’s disease. And there also seem to be some trials attempting to treat Alzheimer’s by altering ghrelin and ghrelin receptors. I have to look into this more. But maybe this research will one day help with PSSD.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 173401.htm
Brain food

Another study came about examining ghrelin's effects on muscle aging. See below:

Ablation of Ghrelin Receptor Mitigates the Metabolic Decline of Aging Skeletal Muscle
https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4425/13/8/1368/htm

Ghrelin Is Associated with Worse Muscle Aging in Mice
https://www.lifespan.io/news/ghrelin-is ... g-in-mice/