Most promising RxISK blog post in a while with actual research ideas

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
GIXXER

Re: Most promising RxISK blog post in a while with actual research ideas

Unread post by GIXXER »

Let's treat this like the ice bucket challenge and promote it everywhere
Brain food

Unread post by Brain food »

GIXXER wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:14 pm Let's treat this like the ice bucket challenge and promote it everywhere
I tried promoting it on propeciahelp.com's forum but I think my post got deleted. Where else can we post it? Can anyone here post it on non-English language forums?
GIXXER

Unread post by GIXXER »

Social media platforms like Twitter, tik tok, Facebook groups, and reddit
JLo22

Unread post by JLo22 »

It took 4 months for propeciahelp to raise $80k. How many months will it take our community to raise $50k?
We are up to $950.
anacleta

Unread post by anacleta »

what do you think about the research project?

i spammed it as usual though reading the post these were my thoughts

thalidomide? covid19 and its vaccines? cancer treatments?...

maybe I am too pssd-centric but the similarities and "hooks" seem too forced and fanciful to me, with weak scientific basis

thalidomide produces stratospheric birth defects... ssri's who knows, it's not even clear if it produces any... there's ambiguity in the consensus as with pssd I think. in any case nothing to do with the results of thalidomide. and thalidomide causes sexual dysfunction, like many drugs... not permanent as far as we know.

do covid19 and its vaccines cause syndromes very similar to pssd? i don't think there's much evidence at the moment.

I don't know much about molecules and proteins, but it seems to have taken some protein 'at random' as a reference which has something to do with thalidomide and on which the researcher is an expert, and is 'forcibly' investigated in search of some link with the effects of ssri, finasteride, isotretinoin... and that these might have something to do with pssd... one really has to cross one's fingers to hope to hit the jackpot since there don't seem to be any great clues.

furthermore, as with melcangi's research, these molecular studies investigate the effects of SSRIs in general, not pssd which, as far as we know, affects an 'unfortunate' subgroup of SSRI users.
in this sense, wasn't research on skin samples from patients with pssd more targeted, given that one wants to investigate the skin, nerve endings, small fibres, ion channels?

the positive point is that rxisk basically targets pssd
in the holy grail post far too many things are mentioned perhaps to attract attention and contributions from many quarters, but at the end of the day the main focus I hope and believe remains pssd.
so research I guess will go on taking the most useful route to understanding persistent sexual dysfunction. if that protein causes unusual or interesting effects that are not compatible with sexual dysfunction... switch to another, or not?
because we don't care about the thousand thousand effects of SSRIs but about understanding and treating pssd (some just sexual dysfunction and some complex syndrome).

I would like to hear your opinions
DeepRacer

Unread post by DeepRacer »

anacleta wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:13 pm what do you think about the research project?

maybe I am too pssd-centric but the similarities and "hooks" seem too forced and fanciful to me, with weak scientific basis

thalidomide produces stratospheric birth defects... ssri's who knows, it's not even clear if it produces any... there's ambiguity in the consensus as with pssd I think. in any case nothing to do with the results of thalidomide. and thalidomide causes sexual dysfunction, like many drugs... not permanent as far as we know.

do covid19 and its vaccines cause syndromes very similar to pssd? i don't think there's much evidence at the moment.

I don't know much about molecules and proteins, but it seems to have taken some protein 'at random' as a reference which has something to do with thalidomide and on which the researcher is an expert, and is 'forcibly' investigated in search of some link with the effects of ssri, finasteride, isotretinoin... and that these might have something to do with pssd... one really has to cross one's fingers to hope to hit the jackpot since there don't seem to be any great clues.

furthermore, as with melcangi's research, these molecular studies investigate the effects of SSRIs in general, not pssd which, as far as we know, affects an 'unfortunate' subgroup of SSRI users.
in this sense, wasn't research on skin samples from patients with pssd more targeted, given that one wants to investigate the skin, nerve endings, small fibres, ion channels?

in the holy grail post far too many things are mentioned perhaps to attract attention and contributions from many quarters, but at the end of the day the main focus I hope and believe remains pssd.
so research I guess will go on taking the most useful route to understanding persistent sexual dysfunction. if that protein causes unusual or interesting effects that are not compatible with sexual dysfunction... switch to another, or not?
because we don't care about the thousand thousand effects of SSRIs but about understanding and treating pssd (some just sexual dysfunction and some complex syndrome).

I completely agree with what you said. I’m not sure why thalidomide was even mentioned as it has nothing to do with PSSD, PFS or PAS besides sharing a couple similar symptoms and possible uses with the drugs that caused these conditions. What really needs to be done is to take a bunch of sample populations of people with PSSD, PFS and PAS and taking a look at different genetic markers, SPECT scans, skin samples, etc. and compare them to a general healthy population. This is similar to what the Baylor study did with penile tissue samples from PFS patients where they found a bunch of genetic changes compared to healthy men. That study didn’t cure anyone or anything but it gives a general idea of what changes occurred and maybe there’s a pattern between PSSD, PFS and PAS patients that may lead to some hypothesis about the cause or what’s permanently been altered to cause these conditions. I have nothing against Healy personally but I didn’t really understand some of the fringe topics he threw out there to investigate. It’s just too far from the central interest of these conditions. They’re more like downstream effects of the condition if anything.
Scutter

Unread post by Scutter »

This is the single most promising opportunity for everybody worldwide, who are suffering from PSSD. Ask yourself: What is the value of getting back of your original life?
If every affected persons would donate now as much as she/he can afford, it could really make an impact. So this is the time, let's spread the info, and donate. It is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.
Brain food

anacleta wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:13 pm what do you think about the research project?

anacleta, I agree with many of your points but the biological mechanism behind SSRIs causing PSSD is currently a complete mystery. It’s very difficult to determine where to spend money research when we don’t know if PSSD is a problem with the brain, peripheral nervous system, endocrine system, or something else entirely.

I’m not extremely familiar with the p63 protein but I have read about p53 affecting the genitals and libido. See links below. I believe that there’s a strong link between p53 and p63. I don’t think it’s an entirely random protein to focus on.

https://www.earth.com/news/exposure-to- ... es-libido/

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fullt ... all%3Dtrue

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... stosterone
Brain food

Also, no one here is focusing on his second research idea about the brain scans of PSSD sufferers and trying to see if the parts of the brain that normally correspond to sexual arousal are activated in those with PSSD. Depending on the outcome, this could help lead to a way to provably diagnose PSSD and should be useful as proof in lawsuits and petitions to medical regulators.