Question: What do Serotonin antagonists do long term?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
lepardglass

Re: Question: What do Serotonin antagonists do long term?

Unread post by lepardglass »

Tree wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:03 pm
MisterCharlie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:12 pm I know blocking/antagonizing dopamine receptors causes upregulatation. And agonizing dopamine receptors causes down regulation

-What does agonizing Serotonin receptors do long term to Serotonin receptors?

-What does antagonizing Serotonin receptors do to the Serotonin receptors long term?

Please have a journal article or study to back up your position. Thanks
Theoretically, it depends on the receptor. 5ht1a antagonists upregulate receptors over time but 5ht2a antagonists don't. However, pssd I believe is caused by permeant sert loss, so 5ht1a antagonism wouldn't upregulate receptors, but instead exacerbate the issue by blocking the little 5ht1a receptors left. The issue is excess serotonin in the synapses desensitizes receptors. 5ht1a antagonism doesn't remove serotonin from synapses so receptors will remain desensitized by serotonin.
By that theory wouldn't taking something like Buspirone in high dose for a few months help restore 5ht2a receptor density?
highman

Unread post by highman »

SERT loss is not permanent because some people recover properly with hormone therapy, for example. Surprising why hormone therapy is effective to SERT repair? I think this is not only SERT problem.
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

highman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:43 am SERT loss is not permanent because some people recover properly with hormone therapy, for example. Surprising why hormone therapy is effective to SERT repair? I think this is not only SERT problem.
I've seen nobody recover from severe debilitating pssd with hormone therapy so sert dysfunction could very much be the cause of pssd. It's also dangerous to assume these very small number people who claim to be recovered even had pssd or just temporary withdrawal symptoms that would resolve themselves anyway. Testosterone has also been shown to increase sert so maybe hormone replacement might actually help. I'm sticking to sert loss theory still seems like the most plausible by far of any other theories discussed.
Frog

Unread post by Frog »

Tree wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:43 pm
highman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:43 am SERT loss is not permanent because some people recover properly with hormone therapy, for example. Surprising why hormone therapy is effective to SERT repair? I think this is not only SERT problem.
I've seen nobody recover from severe debilitating pssd with hormone therapy so sert dysfunction could very much be the cause of pssd. It's also dangerous to assume these very small number people who claim to be recovered even had pssd or just temporary withdrawal symptoms that would resolve themselves anyway. Testosterone has also been shown to increase sert so maybe hormone replacement might actually help. I'm sticking to sert loss theory still seems like the most plausible by far of any other theories discussed.
Please don’t assume that people who recovered with hormones didn’t have PSSD. TalkingAnt is a great example of this. Definitely had PSSD and a good chance that TRT helped him a lot
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Frog wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:47 pm
Tree wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:43 pm
Please don’t assume that people who recovered with hormones didn’t have PSSD. TalkingAnt is a great example of this. Definitely had PSSD and a good chance that TRT helped him a lot
I didn't assume anything.. my point is we don't know because it's so uncommon and too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. Not everyone with pssd even has a hormone imbalance and some claim hormone replacement made them worse. It's possible to get symptom relief but not actually fix the underlying cause too. This doesn't disprove sert loss theory at all.
Frog

Unread post by Frog »

I’m not denying your hypothesis. My point is that saying “ it's also dangerous to assume these very small number people who claim to be recovered even had pssd or just temporary withdrawal symptoms that would resolve themselves anyway” is incorrect and could also be construed as violating forum rules about saying that people don’t have PSSD. Let’s leave this here as to not hijack the thread
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Frog wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:02 am I’m not denying your hypothesis. My point is that saying “ it's also dangerous to assume these very small number people who claim to be recovered even had pssd or just temporary withdrawal symptoms that would resolve themselves anyway” is incorrect and could also be construed as violating forum rules about saying that people don’t have PSSD. Let’s leave this here as to not hijack the thread
You're the only person here assuming anything.. and my point is not incorrect. There's no denying this is a complicated issue so you have people all the time unknowingly mistake withdrawal symptoms as pssd or symptom relief as being cured. Until I see more cured cases, or become cured myself, then I'll be skeptical of such claims. My skepticism is not aimed at anyone in particular, or suggests people don't have pssd, so I'm confused how such skepticism violates any forum rules.