Moclobemide

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
logicalscout

Re: Moclobemide

Unread post by logicalscout »

Day 5 with Moclobemide:

- Last night was feeling very anhedonic and depressed, decided to have some protein (whey protein) and had a noticeable increase in libido and erections
- Felt less depression with the high protein + Moclobemide combo
- This morning I had 50g Whey protein, didn't feel much, took Moclobemide and then felt a sharp increase in libido (Actually felt horny for the first time in a long time). Though as the day went by this libido disappeared (Maybe due to the coffee causing a stress or the fish oil I took)

My theory on why high protein made a difference is:
1. BCAA's in protein reduce levels of serotonin (and dopamine) in the hypothalamus
2. L-Histidine can have pro-sexual effects (increases hypothalamus histamine levels and nitric oxide)

I'm going to continue Moclobemide and high protein to see if it makes a difference consistently (Maybe try avoiding/limiting coffee and removing fish oil).

EDIT

Just had another scoop of whey protein (Now at 100g protein in the day) and have a spontaneous erection, no libido increase but I only take moclobemide once in the morning.
logicalscout

Day 6 Moclobemide:

- Had whey protein today with Moclobemide, no effect on libido
- Still feeling quite depressed and slightly agitated towards the end of the day. Did feel good at the beginning of the day but that is most likely due to the coffee, coffee always has a reliable antidepressant effect
- Still has a good effect on ADD (without the euphoria that ritalin gives)
logicalscout

Day 9 with Moclobemide:

- Increased from 75mg to 150mg (75mg x 2)

- Libido is very low again
- No noticeable change in mood since 75mg, still feeling anhedonic but not severely depressed.
- Slight increase in energy (required less coffee today) and still helps with ADD (Was able to focus a lot and have motivation to read and learn some things)

I still feel like my libido was higher on SSRI's than post SSRI or on Moclobemide.
magnilo

Unread post by magnilo »

taking such a low dose only inhibits mao-a
you need higher doses for mao-b and thus dopamine

also 75 and 150 are extremely low dosages
moclobemide is known to be one of those meds that needs higher dosages for therapeutic effect
it is common for a shrink to prescribe doses of 900mg, which is 150% the max dosage by label
logicalscout

Hey thanks for your response Magnilo,

I read earlier in the thread that you were on a dose of 450mg to 600mg. Was it at that dose you started seeing improvements in libido?
At 150mg I definitely do feel the clearer adrenergic effect, but no effect on libido. I'd say my orgasms feel worse at the moment as well.
magnilo

Unread post by magnilo »

logicalscout wrote:Hey thanks for your response Magnilo,

I read earlier in the thread that you were on a dose of 450mg to 600mg. Was it at that dose you started seeing improvements in libido?
At 150mg I definitely do feel the clearer adrenergic effect, but no effect on libido. I'd say my orgasms feel worse at the moment as well.
to be honest i cant remember, all i can say is that i went up to 600mg daily pretty rapidly
i think what it helped with most is probably erection, but still far from perfect
dont have low libido or any other issues tho, just delayed ejaculation (i think due to residue numbness)
mental well being is a prerogative of proper sexual functioning and deserves at least as much effort as treating pssd! so even if you dont see direct benefits on pssd but its improving your life (without sabotaging sexuality), keep on it, chances are the rest will come with time.
logicalscout

Cool, thanks magnilo, my updates are below, I still feel like I had a higher desire on Lexapro:

Day 10 with Moclobemide:
- 2nd day with 150mg (75mg x 2)
- I'm really starting to notice the antidepressant effect, I feel a mild positive outlook (something which I haven't had for years, SSRI's didn't have this, i'm assuming it's the noradrenergic component).
- The effects on ADD are even more pronounced, was able to smash through a piece of work today. Feeling more mentally and physically energised
- Sexual wise, I have no effect on libido (i.e. desire, like the first day with protein powder), it is lower than on lexapro, but the orgasm does feel a bit better

I wish I was started on this drug before SSRI's, if I had the effects of this and a sex drive, it would be amazing.
Breathdeep

Unread post by Breathdeep »

Moloch wrote: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:26 am kramdrol on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

My PSSD was brought on by Cymbalta, leaving me feeling nothing down there. Really hard to climax, and when can, it is pretty dull. Have tried lots of herbs, none have worked. Took 150mg Moclobemide yesterday, and the same again today. Was able to 'finish' without too much effort, and it was a great experience. Woo-Hoo!! Moclobemide is really cheap in Aus, has low side-effect profile, boosts my mood, and has cured my PSSD. Win win win!!!
How long did the moclobemide help for?
Sertraline 2018-2019
Fluoxetine November 2020
Symptoms low libido and ED
also muted emotions