PSSD in 2021 | Melcangi Study Info, Future Research and Activism

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
anacleta

Re: PSSD in 2021 | Melcangi Study Info, Future Research and Activism

Unread post by anacleta »

Read the latest update on the Gofund page https://www.gofundme.com/f/27l8qmes5c
The programme looks very promising! Perhaps if we only had large donations we could speed up the pace of this research.
anacleta

very soon, maybe today, the new newsletter will be sent out from postssrisyndrome.org, if you want to receive it, sign up on https://postssrisyndrome.org/newsletter/
anacleta

I would like to point out that after a somewhat dead period, there have been a number of donations over the last 17 days, some of them remarkable! thanks to donors
https://www.gofundme.com/f/27l8qmes5c
lukejimmy

Unread post by lukejimmy »

Meso wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:27 pm Although I highly disagree with the notion that neurosteroids are involved in PSSD, since, unlike Paroxetine, many SRIs don't increase allopregnanolone yet still trigger full-blown PSSD. I still believe this study might be the window we need into getting PSSD more recognized within the research community and spark some interest in further research into the condition.
Which SSRI doesn’t increase Allo. I dare anyone to read the allopregnanolone wiki and tell me it doesn’t describe in its effects, almost everything we complain about missing since Pre-Pssd. These symptoms i’m referring to are identical in PFS/PAS and guess what, Dr Melcangi and a few a other studies found undetectable Allopregnanolone levels in the CSF of PFS patients every single time. Remember SSRI’s are extremely potent at stimulating Allopregnanlone it’s not some insignificant side issue, it’s arguably what gives them there therapeutic effects.

It would also explain why SSRI reinstatement eliminates PSSD temporarily in the same way a Post-Benzo person with Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome would eliminate their symptoms after reinstatement of the offending Benzo. (“ Therefore, it is possible to hypothesize that altered neurosteroidogenesis may also occur in PSSD and consequently it may represent a possible pharmacological target for this disorder.”)

I don’t know what the detailed results are of the study I’ve only read the abstract
Kostakonkordia

Unread post by Kostakonkordia »

lukejimmy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:09 pm
Meso wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:27 pm Although I highly disagree with the notion that neurosteroids are involved in PSSD, since, unlike Paroxetine, many SRIs don't increase allopregnanolone yet still trigger full-blown PSSD. I still believe this study might be the window we need into getting PSSD more recognized within the research community and spark some interest in further research into the condition.
Which SSRI doesn’t increase Allo. I dare anyone to read the allopregnanolone wiki and tell me it doesn’t describe in its effects, almost everything we complain about missing since Pre-Pssd. These symptoms i’m referring to are identical in PFS/PAS and guess what, Dr Melcangi and a few a other studies found undetectable Allopregnanolone levels in the CSF of PFS patients every single time. Remember SSRI’s are extremely potent at stimulating Allopregnanlone it’s not some insignificant side issue, it’s arguably what gives them there therapeutic effects.

It would also explain why SSRI reinstatement eliminates PSSD temporarily in the same way a Post-Benzo person with Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome would eliminate their symptoms after reinstatement of the offending Benzo. (“ Therefore, it is possible to hypothesize that altered neurosteroidogenesis may also occur in PSSD and consequently it may represent a possible pharmacological target for this disorder.”)

I don’t know what the detailed results are of the study I’ve only read the abstract
Reinstatement doesn't always work especially if you wait too long. It's basically a gamble which works for some and for some not...