Anxious over strong possibility of PSSD

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
music_etc

Anxious over strong possibility of PSSD

Unread post by music_etc »

Hi, I've taken Prozac (fluoxetine) since December 2019, I believe, and stopped taking it consistently about a month ago, probably a little more (took it for a couple nights earlier this week..maybe also kinda recently before that but the last months are a blur), now am completely off, but will be soon talking to doctors about whether I should go back on to properly taper off (frankly don't think it matters at this point, but I'm no expert). So I spent a solid 2 years on it, ranging ages 17-19.

I've been dealing with varying degrees of erectile dysfunction, increasingly bothersome, since sometime mid-last summer. Came up during a brief series of hookups in September when a girl had trouble getting me off and I felt bad about it because it made her feel really insecure..knew there were potential sexual side effects from Prozac but wasn't putting 2+2 together at the time. It's much worse now than it was then.

That girl and I cut things off soon enough (we'd had intentions of going much longer..not too relevant) which sent me into a really deep depression spiral making this semester hellish for me, sleeping poorly, binge eating and gaining lots of weight. Now am finally feeling in a place where I might be ready for something new in terms of relationships, hookups, et al, and have had hopes recently of some people who might be interested, and it coincides with my erectile dysfunction's worsening. I feel so scared to even venture the thought of pursuing anything, badly as I want to.

Since finding out about PSSD 3-4 days ago, I've been isolating myself in my room and reading all the forums and articles I can and panicking. Wrote my psychiatrist a note hoping to meet w them, and also am seeing my primary doctor tomorrow, and talking to my therapist (weekly appointment) about this in depth on Friday.

I am increasingly unable to masturbate, but I still do feel sensation/desire quite often, which is annoying me.

Anhedonia is possible, but too soon to say.

Suffice to say, I'm reeling, spiraling, etc. Hopefully appointment tomorrow is, er, progressive? But I'm so scared PSSD won't be given any credence.

I feel like a part of me just recently born is gone, and I'm feeling devastated, horrified for the future. Not sure if I have a question, specifically, but any and all guidance is appreciated.
Jaxx

Re: Anxious over strong possibility of PSSD

Unread post by Jaxx »

Sorry to hear about your issues.
Pssd can only be “diagnosed” several months after quitting the ssri. And even then, there is a good chance your body returns to normal in the first year.
You seem to be over-obsessing about bad scenario’s which is only making things worse.
My advice would be to stop reading this forum for a while and talk to your doctor.
If you do decide to stop with antidepressants/ssri’s, dont take supplements to improve your sexual symptoms, just give it time and see if things improve naturally. In many cases it does.
Best of luck.
tonyareias

Re: Anxious over strong possibility of PSSD

Unread post by tonyareias »

Try to relax and wait. I only see improvements several weeks reducing SSRI dosing.

Read the fórum about solutions.