PSSD and coffee, stimulants, drugs, alcohol

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
mtkhalid

PSSD and coffee, stimulants, drugs, alcohol

Unread post by mtkhalid »

Does PSSD impact and impair your ability to be affected by coffee and caffeinated products?

I recently noticed that coffee doesn't impact me anymore; I don't feel more alert, awake, or energized after drinking it. It has no effect.

Curious if this is related to PSSD, or related to certain receptors in my brain not being activated by coffee. Is there a solution/fix/treatment for this?

Some additional followup questions:

Stimulants:
As a followup, does PSSD affect your ability to be affected by stimulants (like Adderall), such that the stimulants have no effect upon you? I tried Adderall, and it didn't have any effect upon me.

Drugs - getting high:
As well, does PSSD impair your ability to get "high" off drugs like marijuana/cocaine? I don't do drugs, but I was just curious, as I saw a Quora post from an Abilify user who couldn't get high off a drug anymore after taking Abilify.

Alcohol:
Lastly, does PSSD impair your ability to get drunk off alcohol? I don't drink either, but I was just curious.
sovietxrobot

Re: PSSD and coffee, stimulants, drugs, alcohol

Unread post by sovietxrobot »

Coffee has very little effect on me, I can drink a pot and I never get jittery. Marijuana only works if I do it sparingly. It seems like after developing PSSD we acclimate to drugs very quickly, I wonder if this is the same effect.
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

Yes, PSSD has impaired my ability to feel reinforcing effects 'euphoria' from drugs. I no longer get any mood boost from caffeine and nicotine. Downers like alcohol have greatly diminished effects on me.
My blog "The Research Zone" is currently :roll: down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
Mateoo

Unread post by Mateoo »

oh hell ... I smoked marijuana a month ago, it didn't work for me, when I drink beer I don't feel anything .. but the energy drinks seem to work somehow although I'm not sure I'm just discovering pssd I'm 5 months after stopping citalopram.
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

Hum... with SSRI or after SSRI I normally avoid coffee and too much chocolate, makes me euphoric and anxious.

Maybe for people with PSSD could be a connection.
Twentyoneguns

Unread post by Twentyoneguns »

I like coffee, but I can't say it ever did anything for me pre or post PSSD.
Male
PSSD after 3 days on Sertraline (50mg) (Aurobindo) December 2016 to date.
Tinnitus, insomnia (1.5 hours/night sleep) poor memory/cognition as a bonus!
Possibly PSSD from October 1998...just didn't realise what I was suffering from! (pre internet)
mtkhalid

Is there anyway to fix this coffee thing? So that you can experience coffee again?
mtkhalid

Followup: I developed Post-AntiPsychotic Syndrome from Abilify. Will this coffee/alcohol/not being receptive to drugs, affect me as well, or do I only have to worry about sexual dysfunction symptoms?
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Why worry about this? Caffeine never affected me at all. One can live happily with that. Stop worrying and you will get better 😉
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
mtkhalid

@Meso - I know you mentioned earlier that I don't have PSSD, but post-antipsychotic syndrome (resulting in complete sexual dysfunction similar to PSSD). Do I have to worry about this coffee/drugs/alcohol-not-reacting stuff with Post-Antipsychotic?

Also, these experiences with coffee/drugs/alcohol - ie not reacting to them - is this a well-defined universal trait of PSSD, or just a few people's personal experiences, not necessarily affecting everyone with PSSD?