Worst offenders for PSSD and things to avoid taking

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
JP1985

Re: Worst offenders for PSSD and things to avoid taking

Unread post by JP1985 »

Is L-theanine safe to take or could it affect PSSD? Just read it affects serotonin
Last pill March 2019 - Citalopram for 7 years
Numbed penis and weak orgasm
Fatigue
Slightly blunted
Dizziness (this has improved a lot in the last 6 months)
BurgerMile

Unread post by BurgerMile »

Hey, Meso.

Did you recover naturally from your vortioxetine experiment?
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

JP1985 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:57 am Is L-theanine safe to take or could it affect PSSD? Just read it affects serotonin
Some supplements/drugs are in red zone, few are in green zone. Most are in gray zone, cause people's reports are so different. I also think if we define something bad or good definitely we risk to become one of many 'orthodox' psychiatric forums where every advice is censored.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Meso wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:10 pm Here's a list of the worst offenders when it comes to PSSD.

Hormonal disruptors:
Androgen receptor antagonists or things that lower testosterone or dihydrotestosterone can cause worsening of PSSD (i.e. Minoxidil). Xenoestrogens (i.e. many plastic types) and phytoestrogens (i.e. Berberine, soy products). Please avoid these hormonal disruptors.
Do you think topical use of minoxidil should be avoided too?
My SD started when I started minoxidil (while on SSRIs). I quit everything.
Six months later, I had had a 80% recovery for two weeks... which stopped when I started minoxidil again...
I stopped but did not think this could be related...
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Twentyoneguns

Unread post by Twentyoneguns »

Drugs/supplements that have caused a crash in my symptoms.

MACCA ROOT
I took two capsules of this, after the first I experienced a calming effect which was quite good, after the second my libido took a real dive. I discontinued due to this effect, it took around a week to return to baseline though I feel a slight negative effect remained.

GINKGO BILOBA
I took one tablet in the morning and later that day I found I was unable to reach orgasm, this resolved after about a week, but during this period I felt pretty miserable.

LEVOTHYROXINE
I took this as a result of a raised TSH (5.9) i.e. Hypothyroidism which my doctor pointed out could be the cause of several medical problems I was having. Initially I refused treatment and asked to have my TSH re tested after a few months to see if it was a temporary condition. The TSH remained raised so I commenced a trial of 25mg Levothyoxine daily. I was retested two months later and the TSH remained at 5.9, I decided to stop the trial. I did notice a sudden total of interest in sex which at the time I put down to a stressful six month period in my personal life and CFS. I didn’t initially link the Levothyroxine with the loss of interest in sex. My girlfriend and I used to have and enjoy sex regularly, since this problem we have had sex just a handful of times in 15 months. It may have been the stress, but I think joining the dots after the event I think the Levotyroxine was the culprit. The CFS resolved after around 4-5 months.
I have since found that Soy products can raise TSH, I had replaced dairy milk with soy milk in my diet a year or so earlier. I have now reverted to using dairy milk and the TSH now stands at 3.9 (0.27-4.2 considered normal by my test facility)

HYDROCORTISONE CREAM 0.5% (Timodine cream)
I was prescribed this to clear up a stubborn fungal infection in my bum crack. I used it as prescribed for seven days. I noticed a few days after treatment that my penis showed signs of atrophy, I was horrified and immediately associated it with the Timodine cream use. I calmed down a bit but after about a month other problems started to emerge.
CFS returned
Tinnitus increased
Insomnia increased
Pain in genital and prostate area
Total ED
Any interest in sex gone completely
Dry mouth
Headaches
Occasional flutter in my chest
Lost 2kg
Depression and Anxiety
Suicidal thoughts.
To me it seems the hydrocortisone has caused Adrenal insufficiency. I’m hoping for the Adrenals to make a recovery.
None of the physical symptoms have improved in the 4 months since finishing the treatment.

As the number of posts in this thread increase its obvious that virtually any drug/supplement/food can cause a further worsening of PSSD symptoms.

It’s probably not a good idea to try to “cure” any ailment with prescription drugs unless its life threatening.

My PSSD has been transformed from something I could cope with to something terrible.

Male
PSSD after 3 days on Sertraline (50mg) (Aurobindo) December 2016 to date.
Tinnitus, insomnia (1.5 hours/night sleep) poor memory/cognition as a bonus!
Possibly PSSD from October 1998...just didn't realise what I was suffering from! (pre internet)
Enigmatic

Unread post by Enigmatic »

Meso,

Thanks for putting this list together. Most the time I come on here, it is to gather information regarding what things can have a contradictory reaction in people. I see the list of antibiotics to avoid is long, so long that it begs the question, what is safe? Since you have a pharmacy background perhaps you could make a short list of AB's that would be acceptable, as ab's are often taken in a situation that is vitally necessary and unavoidable. I think what would be more helpful to the forum is an organized database where people can rate and comment on their experiences for each supplement/medication one by one. It quickly gets confusing when people start lobbing out all their anecdotal experiences about different things on the same thread. I have been lurking on these forums long enough to know that the reactions that people have to things are oftentimes paradoxical to another user's experience. Something that has improved one person symptoms, may in fact, worsen another person symptoms. There seems to be no clear cut sups that have either universally improved or worsened everyone's symptoms. As an example, I have taken many things on this list for years and years with no discernable negative effects. I think there needs to be a database of each thing so people can easily sort through others experiences, and weigh the risks for themselves.
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

Twentyoneguns wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:23 pm HYDROCORTISONE CREAM 0.5% (Timodine cream)
I was prescribed this to clear up a stubborn fungal infection in my bum crack. I used it as prescribed for seven days. I noticed a few days after treatment that my penis showed signs of atrophy, I was horrified and immediately associated it with the Timodine cream use. I calmed down a bit but after about a month other problems started to emerge.
CFS returned
Tinnitus increased
Insomnia increased
Pain in genital and prostate area
Total ED
Any interest in sex gone completely
Dry mouth
Headaches
Occasional flutter in my chest
Lost 2kg
Depression and Anxiety
Suicidal thoughts.
To me it seems the hydrocortisone has caused Adrenal insufficiency. I’m hoping for the Adrenals to make a recovery.
None of the physical symptoms have improved in the 4 months since finishing the treatment.

As the number of posts in this thread increase its obvious that virtually any drug/supplement/food can cause a further worsening of PSSD symptoms.

It’s probably not a good idea to try to “cure” any ailment with prescription drugs unless its life threatening.

My PSSD has been transformed from something I could cope with to something terrible.

Prescription drugs don't usually aim to cure anything.

Recent months I took a lot of wheat germ, mushrooms (real not magic), more beef liver and kilos of green peas. Also some cauliflower and legumes are common. And took wild yam by Solaray. Had small tinnitus - gone. Dry mouth in the morning - decreased much. No bad thoughts, any of them are washed out easily. Go natural.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Twentyoneguns wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:23 pm As the number of posts in this thread increase its obvious that virtually any drug/supplement/food can cause a further worsening of PSSD symptoms.
For those like us who are really suspicious about drugs, anything (including water) can cause worsening because of nocebo effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo)
I think we should update meso's initial post only when there is at least a theoritical evidence of potential negative effect.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Chuck83

Unread post by Chuck83 »

Supplements containing flavonoids and bioflavonoids, such as Diosmin, Rutin and Quercetin, really that dangerous for PSSD? I have a vascular disease, and doctors in my country only prescribe supplements containing flavonoids.
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

Chuck83 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:16 am Hi Meso, thanks for this list are very helpful. What do you think about antifungal cream with Clotrimazole? Is it as dangerous as ketoconazole? Unfortunately sometimes I get fungal infections and this cream is the only thing that gets me through in a few days. Until now I have never experienced any side effects from this product.
Aside from a mild effect on aromatase, it doesn't interact with hormones.
Chuck83 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:53 pm Supplements containing flavonoids and bioflavonoids, such as Diosmin, Rutin and Quercetin, really that dangerous for PSSD? I have a vascular disease, and doctors in my country only prescribe supplements containing flavonoids.
Some flavinoids like Quercetin antagonize histamine so they might be bad for PSSD. Better check for 5-alpha reductase inhibition as well.
Enigmatic wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:28 pm I see the list of antibiotics to avoid is long, so long that it begs the question, what is safe? Since you have a pharmacy background perhaps you could make a short list of AB's that would be acceptable, as ab's are often taken in a situation that is vitally necessary and unavoidable.
As noted earlier in the thread, everything can cause a crash in people while improving others or having no effect at all for some. Aside from fluoroquinolones, not every antibiotic on the list is strictly contraindicated. Most of the neurotoxic antibiotics only induce neurotoxicity in renal failure patients or at very high doses. The list is merely cautionary. I personally prefer Azithromycin as a safe antibiotic when applicable.

Since this list is cautionary, I was quite hesitant making this thread to begin with. But I often see people crashing on 5-HTP or SAMe or cannabis that I decided a cautionary list is worth doing. I include substances if there are more than a couple of crash reports from people.
"The Research Zone" is permanently down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here