Okay I’m terrified...

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
DagTag

Re: Okay I’m terrified...

Unread post by DagTag »

Thomas wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 am Mirtazapine is a very effective drug. It is quite normal to feel strong withdrawal symptoms on your mood (I did), opposite of mirtazapine primary effects... including beeing terrified. Once the drug is out of your body, your body needs time (weeks, usually) to adapt to its absence.
You just need to wait and try everything you can to relax. Because otherwise, you could fall into a loop where your anxiety causes your sexual symptoms, which cause anxiety, etc.
Yeah, I definitely get what you’re saying about getting stuck in a loop. I’m going to try and not worry about this for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
DagTag

Unread post by DagTag »

arahant wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:39 am
DagTag wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:30 am Hi!

(I‘m a girl. Hope it‘s okay for me to post here, as this forum seems to be mostly male.)
So basically I have GAD and insomnia. After a horrible anxiety attack that lasted 5 days my therapist pressured me to go on medication. I have always been super against taking psych meds but I was desperate, so I agreed. I was on mirtazapine (which doesn’t even list sexual dysfunction as a possible side effect) for only three weeks. It was moderately effective for my anxiety but great in terms of helping me sleep. 2 weeks in my sex drive completely disappeared like someone flipped a switch. My lady parts felt completely numb. I was somehow still able to orgasm, although it took forever and there was basically no actual sensation associated with the orgasm.

Needless to say I got pretty freaked out and started to do some online research and stumbled across PSSD. I quit the Mirtazapine immediately a couple of days ago but there’s been no improvement.

So I guess, my question is how long till I know if it’s still side effects from the meds (I feel like it should be out of my system by now) or possibly PSSD? I know it’s only been a few days, but I’m TERRIFIED. Sex has always been important to me and I don’t know if I could go on living if I won’t be able to enjoy sex ever again...

edit: I‘m pretty sure I‘m starting to experience withdrawals. Is that possible even though I was only on Mirtazapine for 3 weeks? Should I go back on it and try tapering it off or try to wait it out? Any advice would be appreciated!
GAD is also a terrible condition and it can be quite described by the title of your post ("Okay, I'm terrified"). Try to find ways to cope with it. There's a catch about high anxiety/sexual drive/sleep deprivation. I have seen people, including myself, that notice more anxiety alongside sexual drive after mild sleep deprivation.
There are other sleeping aids and pro-sexual drugs for GAD, but I would better try progressive relaxation, cognitive behavioral therapy first, which is a help that you will unlikely get from forums on the internet. Most go there just to vent their fears and it can just increase yours.
Yup, it sucks honestly. I’ve been doing CBT for a couple weeks now. Unfortunately my therapist wanted me to go on meds because he didn’t think therapy would be enough to manage my anxiety. I’m trying herbal supplements (valerian root) at the moment and I’ve been able to get a couple of decent night’s sleep without the Mirtazapine. Going on meds again would definitely be my last resort but in case I have to, what pro-sexual meds could I take for GAD? I was on Xanax for a while with zero side effects. Didn’t experience withdrawals either but benzos are next to impossible to get a prescription for where I live. I got treated like a drug seeker pretty much, so that’s not really an option.
JakeLawe

Unread post by JakeLawe »

Exercise, eat healthy and varied. None of us know for how long you'll be experiencing it or not. It will most likely improve as our bodies are intelligent as fuck and this ain't no optical or spinal nerve damage (even there, I'm under the impression there's some partial recoveries!). You could be looking at 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years.. who knows.

I'm under the impression women recover faster, I suspect is because you're overall, happier than men.. Your duty is to relax and have as much fun as possible and let your body achieve homeostasis again with time.

I know it feels almost impossible but you really got to be thankful/grateful. In my perspective we all are paying our dues..I have my suspiciousness as to what's going on and of course I ain't 100% certain but I'd say thankfulness/gratefulness, forgetting about it as possible/ not obsessing about it/ relaxing as possible/ laughing/ healthy lifestyle & habits go a long way.

IF after some time you want to go the chemical route you can give a plethora of things a shot but I'm under the impression most if
not all women recover 100% with time alone faster than men

May sound impossible but in my perspective it is hope that pulls us into despair, have faith and be grateful instead.

For whatever's worth there is no damage, I ejaculated near my shoulder again one time so I know the function is there.

Love transcends chemicals. You are loved. Oh, laughing/ crying is probably part of the way back. Laughing/ crying about it or otherwise.

In other words, in my experience, the better your mental health is, the faster your reversal, the more grateful you are towards life, the faster.. and even if it doesn't seem to be helping at times.. it's still a better frame of mind to live with! not easy to be grateful, mind you!

Ladies are welcome! otherwise this'd be a (numbed down ;) ) sausage fest!

Have faith!

For GAD I'm taking Buspirone, I love it tbh, I'm more social now and i even enjoy the dizziness that can last for few minutes ;) (taking lower doses more often until achieving same dosage i find is a way of avoiding the dizziness anyway) but if you need benzos ask your doctor for it! find one that will prescribe it or the hell with them, doesn't need be a psychiatrist!

Have you given melatonin a shot for insomnia? I'm thinking you could take it with the valerian. Exercise at the right hours and for the right amount of time is probably good for sleeping too, Oh and I'd say magnesium and vitamin B6 too, though I don't recommend vitamin B6 that much except for insomnia, perhaps. it knocked me down everytime!

With Love.
Last edited by JakeLawe on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

DagTag wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:05 pm Yup, it sucks honestly. I’ve been doing CBT for a couple weeks now. Unfortunately my therapist wanted me to go on meds because he didn’t think therapy would be enough to manage my anxiety. I’m trying herbal supplements (valerian root) at the moment and I’ve been able to get a couple of decent night’s sleep without the Mirtazapine. Going on meds again would definitely be my last resort but in case I have to, what pro-sexual meds could I take for GAD? I was on Xanax for a while with zero side effects. Didn’t experience withdrawals either but benzos are next to impossible to get a prescription for where I live. I got treated like a drug seeker pretty much, so that’s not really an option.
Great that you are having some sleep without drugs. But if you still consider it...Benzos work a lot, but a lot of people can develop an addiction to it. It's a hassle to get benzo prescriptions in some places like you said. It's also a hassle for doctors.
My psychiatrist has explained to me that in some states, authorities require reporting to track prescriptions. That's because benzo was used by sex offenders to incapacitate victims in the past (date rape drug).

For GAD the most common prescriptions to avoid benzos are:

Hydroxyzine, when insomnia is an issue.
Buspirone which the main indication is GAD, but an off-label indication with pro-sexual activity:
Check the claims from the patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO1987004621A1/en
5. The method of Claim 3 wherein the patient is also afflicted with generalized anxiety disorder.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
DagTag

Unread post by DagTag »

arahant wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:20 pm
DagTag wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:05 pm Yup, it sucks honestly. I’ve been doing CBT for a couple weeks now. Unfortunately my therapist wanted me to go on meds because he didn’t think therapy would be enough to manage my anxiety. I’m trying herbal supplements (valerian root) at the moment and I’ve been able to get a couple of decent night’s sleep without the Mirtazapine. Going on meds again would definitely be my last resort but in case I have to, what pro-sexual meds could I take for GAD? I was on Xanax for a while with zero side effects. Didn’t experience withdrawals either but benzos are next to impossible to get a prescription for where I live. I got treated like a drug seeker pretty much, so that’s not really an option.
Great that you are having some sleep without drugs. But if you still consider it...Benzos work a lot, but a lot of people can develop an addiction to it. It's a hassle to get benzo prescriptions in some places like you said. It's also a hassle for doctors.
My psychiatrist has explained to me that in some states, authorities require reporting to track prescriptions. That's because benzo was used by sex offenders to incapacitate victims in the past (date rape drug).

For GAD the most common prescriptions to avoid benzos are:

Hydroxyzine, when insomnia is an issue.
Buspirone which the main indication is GAD, but an off-label indication with pro-sexual activity:
Check the claims from the patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO1987004621A1/en
5. The method of Claim 3 wherein the patient is also afflicted with generalized anxiety disorder.
I didn’t know Benzos were regulated that way. I just think it’s pretty fucked up how doctors hand out ADs like they’re candy despite the side effects and the fact that it can be permanent, but they won’t prescribe Benzos. I mean, both drugs are addictive and cause withdrawals for many people.

That study sounds interesting. I’ll ask my doctor about trying Buspirone if there’s no improvement with both my anxiety and the sexual side effects in a couple weeks from now, thank you!
Last edited by DagTag on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DagTag

Unread post by DagTag »

JakeLawe wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 pm Exercise, eat healthy and varied. None of us know for how long you'll be experiencing it or not. It will most likely improve as our bodies are intelligent as fuck and this ain't no optical or spinal nerve damage (even there, I'm under the impression there's some partial recoveries!). You could be looking at 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years.. who knows.

I'm under the impression women recover faster, I suspect is because you're overall, happier than men.. Your duty is to relax and have as much fun as possible and let your body achieve homeostasis again with time.

I know it feels almost impossible but you really got to be thankful/grateful. In my perspective we all are paying our dues..I have my suspiciousness as to what's going on and of course I ain't 100% certain but I'd say thankfulness/gratefulness, forgetting about it as possible/ not obsessing about it/ relaxing as possible/ laughing/ healthy lifestyle & habits go a long way.

IF after some time you want to go the chemical route you can give a plethora of things a shot but I'm under the impression most if

May sound impossible but in my perspective it is hope that pulls us into despair, have faith and be grateful instead.

For whatever's worth there is no damage, I ejaculated near my shoulder again one time so I know the function is there.

Love transcends chemicals. You are loved. Oh, laughing/ crying is probably part of the way back. Laughing/ crying about it or otherwise.

In other words, in my experience, the better your mental health is, the faster your reversal, the more grateful you are towards life, the faster.. and even if it doesn't seem to be helping at times.. it's still a better frame of mind to live with! not easy to be grateful, mind you!

Have faith!

For GAD I'm taking Buspirone, I love it tbh, I'm more social now and i even enjoy the dizziness that can last for few minutes ;) (taking lower doses more often until achieving same dosage i find is a way of avoiding the dizziness anyway) but if you need benzos ask your doctor for it! find one that will prescribe it or the hell with them, doesn't need be a psychiatrist!

Have you given melatonin a shot for insomnia? I'm thinking you could take it with the valerian. Exercise at the right hours and for the right amount of time is probably good for sleeping too, Oh and I'd say magnesium and vitamin B6 too, though I don't recommend vitamin B6 that much except for insomnia, perhaps. it knocked me down everytime!

With Love.
Hmm, you bring up an interesting perspective on gratitude vs hope. Honestly, I needed to hear that today. I’m going to try to have a more positive outlook and just give it time as people have said. It’s easy to get sucked into a black hole where everything seems like a lost cause but being miserable never helped anyone recover from anything, I guess.

I’ve tried melatonin. Gives me weird dreams for some reason. Magnesium and vitamin B6 could be worth a shot.

Anyways, thank you for the kind words!
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

DagTag wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm
I’ve tried melatonin. Gives me weird dreams for some reason.
Interesting.

I quit Hydroxyzine because it was hitting too hard, I was sleeping like 10 - 11 h a day and being drowsy all day long.
I changed to melatonin with sustained-release capsules.
I also had weird dreams only in the first days, and I kinda liked it. 8-)
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
JakeLawe

Unread post by JakeLawe »

DagTag wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm
JakeLawe wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 pm Exercise, eat healthy and varied. None of us know for how long you'll be experiencing it or not. It will most likely improve as our bodies are intelligent as fuck and this ain't no optical or spinal nerve damage (even there, I'm under the impression there's some partial recoveries!). You could be looking at 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years.. who knows.

Have faith!

With Love.
Hmm, you bring up an interesting perspective on gratitude vs hope. Honestly, I needed to hear that today. I’m going to try to have a more positive outlook and just give it time as people have said. It’s easy to get sucked into a black hole where everything seems like a lost cause but being miserable never helped anyone recover from anything, I guess.

I’ve tried melatonin. Gives me weird dreams for some reason. Magnesium and vitamin B6 could be worth a shot.

Anyways, thank you for the kind words!
You're welcome! It is pure torture what some of us experience, can make one grow hateful! there's only one. There's only one permanent thing in the universe and it ain't physical manifestations of disease!

If you find yourself hating and despairing, be compassionate! one's identity and self image is bound to change when experiencing something like this, if possible, be merciful and cherish what you haven't temporarily "lost".

Other than that, my heart goes out to you.. and to me too! there's something stronger than hatred and wrath.. I'm surrendering to it, I've got no "choice".

I don't blame anyone for despairing and cursing life, none of us deserve this... we don't deserve heaven either, yet we get it.

With Love.