Have pretty bad insomnia after trying a new supplement. Should I take trazodone for sleep?

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
throwaway

Have pretty bad insomnia after trying a new supplement. Should I take trazodone for sleep?

Unread post by throwaway »

---------
Last edited by throwaway on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Re: Have pretty bad insomnia after trying a new supplement. Should I take trazodone for sleep?

Unread post by Thomas »

Could you please be more specific about your "new supplement"? Two days, that is nothing, your supplement should still be in your system.
IMHO, taking an AD only for insomnia is overkill. But if you are depressed and anxious (cf. your double-posting on the same subject), it may work.
Did you try sport and meditation?
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
throwaway

Re: Have pretty bad insomnia after trying a new supplement. Should I take trazodone for sleep?

---------
Last edited by throwaway on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

Hydroxyzine is the usual drug for insomnia. It never worked for me (even pre-PSSD) but I have not read about anyone crashing with it and no one reported a crash on my topic about it.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
throwaway

---------
Last edited by throwaway on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

throwaway wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:53 am Got off a dozen SSRIs many years ago, slowly recovered, but recently crashed from trying a new supplement. Going on two days no sleep. Should I take trazodone for sleep? That's what the urgent care doctor offered. Or do you guys know any drugs/supps that will knock me out for sure? I've never been on trazodone.Thanks so much
I had the same issue and doubts. My Pdoc offered trazodone or hydroxyzine. I thought trazodone would be an overkill and tried hydroxyzine which worked.

It is highly sedative, and people confound it as "crash", which is such a generic and meaningless word used basically for venting purposes.

Be sure not jumping to catastrophic conclusions about a supplement you have taken like: it may take weeks or months to get out of my system.
This rumination can be on your mind longer than the supplement, and also messing with your sleep.

Then I started with very low doses, like 1/2 of 25 mg pill + relaxation exercises was enough to kick in within 2 hours.
It works as anti-serotonin too.

I had to stop because I was snoring a lot and it was "crashing" my marriage. :shock:
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

throwaway wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:22 am Just use the search function.
Diphenhydramine is not Hydroxyzine. The only one talking about Hydroxyzine is not really specific about the crash.
throwaway

---------
Last edited by throwaway on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trazohell

Unread post by Trazohell »

WTF dude don't take Trazodone, it give me and several others bad PSSD.
June 2015 - April 2016 Fluoxetine
April 2016 - March 2017 Fluvoxamine
December 2017 9 days Trazodone
After Trazodone PSSD: loss of libido & spontaneous/night/morning erections, prostate/pelvic pain, genital numbness, lower sperm count, Anhedonia
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

throwaway wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:25 pm
arahant wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 am Be sure not jumping to catastrophic conclusions about a supplement you have taken like: it may take weeks or months to get out of my system.
This rumination can be on your mind longer than the supplement, and also messing with your sleep.
Love this. I actually knocked out last night. Got 7 hours of sleep and feel much better.
Thomas wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:43 am Diphenhydramine is not Hydroxyzine. The only one talking about Hydroxyzine is not really specific about the crash.
Pretty sure why we might crash from taking Benadryl or Hydroxyzine is the anticholinergic properties.
Anticholinergics are a group of substances that blocks the action of the neurotransmitter called acetylcholine at synapses in the central and peripheral nervous system. These agents inhibit the parasympathetic nervous system by selectively blocking the binding of ACh to its receptor in nerve cells.
The parasympathetic nervous system is one of three divisions of the autonomic nervous system. Sometimes called the rest and digest system, the parasympathetic system conserves energy as it slows the heart rate, increases intestinal and gland activity, and relaxes sphincter muscles in the gastrointestinal tract.
Difference between Sympathetic And Parasympathetic Nervous System. The sympathetic nervous system prepares the body for the “fight or flight” response during any potential danger. On the other hand, the parasympathetic nervous system inhibits the body from overworking and restores the body to a calm and composed state.
You can see how inhibiting the parasympathetic nervous system in a PSSD body can be detrimental right? That's what SSRI's did to us in the first place. SSRI's are anticholinergic.
Great that you slept 7 hours. Regarding proper sleep, parasympathetic stimulation is fundamental, the parasympathetic nervous system is responsible to induce relaxation and resting state. Even diaphragmatic breathing, progressive muscular relaxation, mindfulness is known to induce relaxation. But sometimes the fight and flight state is so strong that's difficult to sit to do an exercise which takes around 20 min to kick in.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)