SJW Always Cures My PSSD- kramdrol OP

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
squirtleSquirtle

Re: SJW Always Cures My PSSD- kramdrol OP

Unread post by squirtleSquirtle »

tomahawk wrote: Unfortunately, there is no risk.
That's quite a statement.

I am not going to get into an argument about how ignorant of a statement that really is in the context of combining SJW with both a potent heart and blood pressure drug and a tricyclic antidepressant. But be careful.
20 mg Prozac, March-May, Septemeber-December 2015
Problems starting at discontinuation: very low libido, erectile dysfunction, watery semen, no morning wood
Current Problems: mild erectile dysfunction
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

Sildenafil has actually been somewhat studied as an effective treatment for sjw-INDUCED sexual dysfunction and is considered to be well tolerated for that purpose. Perhaps if there is a concern about safety, taking sildenafil as needed might be the way to go vs. daily tadalafil? This would likely be my approach. I suspect SJW will reduce sildenafil (and tadalafil) effectiveness/time in system due to its effect on CYP.

I think I am going to give SJW a shot - I remembered trying it before and went back through my orders to 2016. I took this product https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O2E8FS/ which I now see was not standardized for hyperforin. Kicking myself for overlooking this as by simply choosing a different product I could have confirmed or denied St John's Wort as an effective PSSD treatment for myself by now, as hyperforin standardization appears to be critical for most recoveries. I will use the Jamieson brand.

I stopped taking berberine a month ago and was considering starting that again but thinking I should maybe hold off while I run SJW. Anyone see any reason why or why not to, interaction wise? I know that the two have opposing effects on CYP enzyme activity (which may not be a good thing, but interestingly may help offset the reduction in efficacy on PDE5 inhibitors by sjw) and both affect neurotransmitters.
AnxiousGreg

Unread post by AnxiousGreg »

I'll be following your progress closely if you do decide to go on the SJW, R3m3dy. Tadalafil has been the only thing that has provided me symptomatic improvement in any area so far and so I have been careful not to do anything that would potentially mess with it. I did see your earlier post on my intro thread about the help that berberine may be able to provide if my Tadalafil sensitivity goes down. I haven't had to go that route yet but good to know that could be an option. One of the most frustrating things about this condition is being so scared of making what little functionality one still has remaining even worse.
Fluoxetine 10mg December 2018
Fluoxetine 20mg January 2019 through June 2019.
No sudden onset of withdrawal symptoms. Drug symptoms simply continued.
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

AnxiousGreg wrote:I'll be following your progress closely if you do decide to go on the SJW, R3m3dy. Tadalafil has been the only thing that has provided me symptomatic improvement in any area so far and so I have been careful not to do anything that would potentially mess with it. I did see your earlier post on my intro thread about the help that berberine may be able to provide if my Tadalafil sensitivity goes down. I haven't had to go that route yet but good to know that could be an option. One of the most frustrating things about this condition is being so scared of making what little functionality one still has remaining even worse.
I am currently looking at ordering a couple of bottles of sjw tonight and running it. I'll update this thread if I do with what I notice, if anything.

I know what you mean about wanting to avoid anything that would mess with tadalafil improving you symptomatically. I honestly don't know what I would do if PDE5 inhibitors fully stopped working for me. Periods of reduced effectiveness are tough enough as it is. Luckily sjw only acts on the enzyme that processes those drugs, so even if it does affect how they work while you are on sjw, their effectiveness will return to baseline once you come off of the sjw.

I know that there are always theoretical risks when combining drugs/supplements (e.g.: certain herbs and PDE5 inhibitors in higher dosages) but unless it's a very clear cut cause and effect relationship it's worth the negligible chance for an adverse reaction to at least be somewhat functional as I search for a more permanent solution to my PSSD. I simply cannot afford to be totally unable to perform at this point, it would be mentally insurmountable.

Berberine's effect is at least twofold, where it affects the CYP enzyme in the opposite way so more of the drug remains in your system, while also appearing to downregulate PDE5 gene expression (which should theoretically remain somewhat beyond cessation of berberine).
Flobrade

Unread post by Flobrade »

my 2 cents to the discussion:
current hypothesis regarding pssd is that ssri downregulates post-synaptic 5ht1a serotonin receptor, which is self regulatory receptor, regulating serotonin flow to the rest of the brain. Downregulation results in loss of control over serotonin flow to the rest of the brain. 5ht1a pre-synaptic receptor is localized mainly in 1 part of the brain called raphe nuclei. This part is responsible for projecting serotonin to every other part of the brain. There are most likely other receptors involved in pssd such as 5ht2a and 5ht1b. They 'communicate' with other parts of the brain such as ventral tegmental area which projects dopamine to the nucleus accumbens. This part of the brain is responsible for libido and is most likely involved in pssd. Now it might explain why st john wort has high rate of success in pssd sufferers. It is known that it upregulates post-synaptic 5ht1a, there is no data if it is involved with pre-synaptic 5ht1a but it cannot be excluded. It is likely that it takes action there, because every antidepressant is somewhat involved with raphe nuclei. 5ht2a receptors increase dopamine in ventral tegmental area to set dopamine to nucleus accumbens which might explain why people experience windows. 5ht2a is positively regulating another neurotransmitter called glutamic acid, which is the most abundant neurotransmitter in the brain, appearing in approximmately 70% of neurons . Glutamate activates neuron and makes it permeable for ions to excitate the neuron. NMDA is glutaminergic receptor and it reliefes anhedonia directly, (pregnenolone, psychodelics, marijuana)although it may be responsible for other syndroms such as loss of enjoyment from previously exciting activities, not libido related pssd issues. Now it might be another mechanism by which 5ht2a could be involved in periodic windows of normalicy. Activating 5ht1b receptor is killing libido and reducing agression. Yohimbine, well known aphrodisiac is 5ht1b antagonist. The problem is no matter what happens uncontrolled flow from downregulated 5ht1a will eventually kill all progress from st john wort. There is no known fda approved drug that is known to directly upregulate pre-synaptic 5ht1a in raphe nuclei. There is no drug, but there is other thing that can be done - exercise (running) has been found to upregulate pre-synaptic 5ht1a https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25833478.
Now by stating these facts i would present you by my humble opinion best possible pssd treatment taking into account current knowledge of the disease:
1. Taking sjw(recomennd Perika), if it produces side effects lower the dose, if it does not help lower the dose by cutting pills to half or quarters ( i reccomend being persistent and not quitting in 1-2 months). It's work on serotonin and NMDA will provide improvement
2. Running, running, running - long distances, can be jogging, can be HIIT, preferably both, jogging mixed with intervals. This is crucial, without running and thus upregulating 5ht1a in raphe nuclei, exceed serotonin from downregulated pre-synaptic 5ht1a will ruin most of the progress, or at least slow it considerably.
3. Taking ginkgo biloba - it upregulates 5ht1a, but also prevents stress-induced 5ht1a downregulation which might happen because perhaps overexercising by running long and with moderately strong rate is stressful biologically speaking to the organism.
4. Do not test yourself constantly. do not masturbate if window appears

tl;dr Take SJW, Run long distances HIIT/Jogging, take ginkgo, dont jerk off
Pregnenolone is NMDA allosteric modulator (just as alcohol is allosteric modulator of GABA), i do not recommend it because it's short-way solution, but in conjunction with sjw (after at least 2 weeks of treatment) it will (at least in my case) induce 100% remission 100% of the time i take it.
It's best, most complete theory regarding pssd i could formulate
thank you for your time,

''This informatnion is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.''
Last edited by Flobrade on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silentpain89

Unread post by silentpain89 »

Hi Flobrade,
Do you consider yourself completely recovered using the things you just described?
Thx
Flobrade

Unread post by Flobrade »

Not yet, but i made great improvements and improve daily. I think running is crucial to success and it's underrated considering it upregulates 5ht1a in raphe nuclei which is the main problem of pssd.

@edit
What need to be understood that recovery is very personal timewise. For beetlebum it was moderately short, but perhaps his case was not that bad, as he experienced windows in first week of sjw treatment. I did experience windows, but it took me about a month, for someone else it might be 3 months, nonentheless running gradually increased both quantity and quality of windows. There were days where i was literaly floating in 'fairy-tale aura', something which i didn't experience even as a kid
dann888

Unread post by dann888 »

Hi Flobrade,
Could you explain bit about your history as an introduction. Then we all can get a proper idea about your overall situation. What are the ADs you took, how long have you suffered with PSSD and what are the PSSD symptoms and severity.
Thank you
JLo22

Unread post by JLo22 »

Hi Flobrade,

do you recommend any brand name for Ginkgo Biloba? thanks
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

Flobrade wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:35 pm Not yet, but i made great improvements and improve daily. I think running is crucial to success and it's underrated considering it upregulates 5ht1a in raphe nuclei which is the main problem of pssd.

@edit
What need to be understood that recovery is very personal timewise. For beetlebum it was moderately short, but perhaps his case was not that bad, as he experienced windows in first week of sjw treatment. I did experience windows, but it took me about a month, for someone else it might be 3 months, nonentheless running gradually increased both quantity and quality of windows. There were days where i was literaly floating in 'fairy-tale aura', something which i didn't experience even as a kid
How can you explain the cognitive symptoms/anhedonia with this theory? Im sure my 5ht2a receptors are affected in some way because i dont react much to psychedelics (5ht2a agonists), or maybe something else is wrong.

First time i took SJW it inproved my genital numbness partly but i quit after few weeks, I read it made some worse.