New study: Skin exposure to UVB light induces a skin-brain-gonad axis and sexual behavior

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Brain food

New study: Skin exposure to UVB light induces a skin-brain-gonad axis and sexual behavior

Unread post by Brain food »

I found a recently released article that could offer a possible explanation of PSSD. While I don’t think that sunlight can cure PSSD, it’s possible that the SSRIs screw up the p53 protein mechanism in the skin that is described in this article. This could explain why many people with PSSD, including myself, have low testosterone levels. Under this theory the problem with PSSD begins in the skin. The skin isn’t signaling to the nervous system correctly and this explains loss of pleasure from genital stimulation and low libido. If you search for p53 and antidepressants or SSRIs on Google you will find some articles that show a connection, mostly in regards to cancer research. This research is still very preliminary and it’s too early to draw conclusions. Also, even if a problem with the p53 protein is discovered in PSSD patients that doesn’t mean there’s currently a way to treat it. Anyways, here’s the article and the summary of the findings.

Skin exposure to UVB light induces a skin-brain-gonad axis and sexual behavior
https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fullt ... ctitle0010

Ultraviolet (UV) light affects endocrinological and behavioral aspects of sexuality via an unknown mechanism. Here we discover that ultraviolet B (UVB) exposure enhances the levels of sex-steroid hormones and sexual behavior, which are mediated by the skin. In female mice, UVB exposure increases hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis hormone levels, resulting in larger ovaries; extends estrus days; and increases anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) expression. UVB exposure also enhances the sexual responsiveness and attractiveness of females and male-female interactions. Conditional knockout of p53 specifically in skin keratinocytes abolishes the effects of UVB. Thus, UVB triggers a skin-brain-gonadal axis through skin p53 activation. In humans, solar exposure enhances romantic passion in both genders and aggressiveness in men, as seen in analysis of individual questionaries, and positively correlates with testosteron
ElaineBenes5

Re: New study: Skin exposure to UVB light induces a skin-brain-gonad axis and sexual behavior

Unread post by ElaineBenes5 »

Came across p53 in my research on whether or not to continue using topical tretinoin during this pssd situation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5606086/
Brain food

Re: New study: Skin exposure to UVB light induces a skin-brain-gonad axis and sexual behavior

ElaineBenes5 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:37 pm Came across p53 in my research on whether or not to continue using topical tretinoin during this pssd situation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5606086/
Great, thanks for posting this. I noticed this line in the article from your link, “ All-trans retinoic acid (ATRA) and isotretinoin (13-cis retinoic acid) enhance p53 expression.” Isotretinoin can cause a similar (or maybe the exact same) syndrome to PSSD and PFS. Maybe p53 is involved in all of this. P53 is being heavily researched for it’s role in cancer, although I’m not sure if that’s relevant to us. The study about p53, sunlight and libido as well as the study that you posted about p53 and acne medications, has to do with p53 in the skin.
Brain food

The same research team at the University of Tel Aviv recently published a new study involving the connection between p53, sunlight and the hormone ghrelin. See below:

Food-seeking behavior is triggered by skin ultraviolet exposure in males

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-022-00587-9