(PFS) Alterations of gut microbiota composition in post-finasteride patients: a pilot study. Melcangi, 2020

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
anacleta

(PFS) Alterations of gut microbiota composition in post-finasteride patients: a pilot study. Melcangi, 2020

Unread post by anacleta »

FULL TEXT: https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-01424-0 1

[Published: 19 September 2020]
Alterations of gut microbiota composition in post-finasteride patients: a pilot study
[F. Borgo]
[A. D. Macandog]
[R. C. Melcangi]
[ Journal of Endocrinological Investigation ]

Abstract
Purpose
Post-finasteride syndrome (PFS) has been reported in a subset of patients treated with finasteride (an inhibitor of the enzyme 5alpha-reductase) for androgenetic alopecia. These patients showed, despite the suspension of the treatment, a variety of persistent symptoms, like sexual dysfunction and cognitive and psychological disorders, including depression. A growing body of literature highlights the relevance of the gut microbiota-brain axis in human health and disease. For instance, alterations in gut microbiota composition have been reported in patients with major depressive disorder. Therefore, we have here analyzed the gut microbiota composition in PFS patients in comparison with a healthy cohort.

Methods
Fecal microbiota of 23 PFS patients was analyzed by 16S rRNA gene sequencing and compared with that reported in ten healthy male subjects.

Results
Sexual dysfunction, psychological and cognitive complaints, muscular problems, and physical alterations symptoms were reported in more than half of the PFS patients at the moment of sample collection. The quality sequence check revealed a low library depth for two fecal samples. Therefore, the gut microbiota analyses were conducted on 21 patients. The α-diversity was significantly lower in PFS group, showing a reduction of richness and diversity of gut microbiota structure. Moreover, when visualizing β-diversity, a clustering effect was found in the gut microbiota of a subset of PFS subjects, which was also characterized by a reduction in Faecalibacterium spp. and Ruminococcaceae UCG-005, while Alloprevotella and Odoribacter spp were increased compared to healthy control.

Conclusion
Gut microbiota population is altered in PFS patients, suggesting that it might represent a diagnostic marker and a possible therapeutic target for this syndrome.
fellow1

Re: (PFS) Alterations of gut microbiota composition in post-finasteride patients: a pilot study. Melcangi, 2020

Unread post by fellow1 »

I can see mass probiotics trials. Well Faecalibacterium spp pretty easy to increase.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5672330/
anacleta

Re: (PFS) Alterations of gut microbiota composition in post-finasteride patients: a pilot study. Melcangi, 2020

Unread post by anacleta »

Microbiota potential for the treatment of sexual dysfunction
Hassan Tirandaza, Ebrahim Mohammadi
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2018.03.021

Abstract
Inability to have a satisfactory sexual intercourse is a serious problem affecting many people. Despite enormous efforts for developing effective treatments for pathologic conditions associated with sexual malfunction, still a lot of patients do not respond well to such treatments. Microbiota has been shown to affect obesity, diabetes, hypertension, stress/anxiety and sex hormonal disturbances. Nevertheless, no research has concentrated on the link between microbiota and human sexuality or sexual dysfunction. We propose another line of enquiry into sexual dysfunction by hypothesizing a relationship between microbiota and factors affecting human sexuality. Hence, it can be assumed that microbiota manipulation may improve sexual behavior and reduce sexual dysfunction. We also discuss the evidence to back up this hypothesis, and present some predictions.
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

It would be VERY interesting if a PSSD or PFS guy did a fecal transplant.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HumanMicrobiome/
HereToHeal

Unread post by HereToHeal »

Halan wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:14 pm It would be VERY interesting if a PSSD or PFS guy did a fecal transplant.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HumanMicrobiome/
One guy actually got cured from a fecal transplant. Username on this forum is Blauwasser. Check his story out.
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

HereToHeal wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:54 pm One guy actually got cured from a fecal transplant. Username on this forum is Blauwasser. Check his story out.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Just an observation: if anyone is interested in this subject, please read a bit the reddit I posted.
If you're willing to do a FMT, you need to choose a high quality donor!
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

Well, there's a good info about me I think is important:
First, my PSSD is just loss of libido. I don't have numbness or any other symptom. As almost 100% of you, I was hypersexual before using SSRI.

In 2017 I tried to use a SSRI again (vortioxetine). After a week of no effect, I used just a pill of Tianeptine (together with vorti). Just one.
30 to 50 minutes later I started to feel really really bad. Like all the colors of the world gone. I couldn't feel love, laugh, joy, nothing. And my penis was fucking numb! I thought these stories about genital numbness used to make no sense, but I was experiencing this myself! And... one more symptom... I got a horrible sensation of fullness in my stomach and I couldn't digest properly. I got bloating and gas.
I stopped to use both drugs in that same day. After one week, almost no improvement. But after 4 more weeks (5 in total) I got 100% pre-vortioxetine. So I experienced, during this time, a really bad case of PSSD. I believe this is tied to the gut problems both drugs caused in conjunction. I tried to use tianeptine alone months before this experiment and nothing like this happened.

A dysbiosis makes sense in our case cause it would explain our chronic condition.