Antidepressants that inhibit both serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake impair long-term potentiation in hippocampus

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
sovietxrobot

Re: Antidepressants that inhibit both serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake impair long-term potentiation in hippocampus

Unread post by sovietxrobot »

this applies only to SNRIs like venlafaxine, not SSRIs. also the testing period is too short to be conclusive at only 3 weeks, where most SSRI/SNRI take 4-6 weeks to reach full efficacy. reduced hippocampal volume is linked to depression and may cause some impairment but not to the degree observed in PSSD. that is due to reduced dopamine efflux.
cdraham

Re: Antidepressants that inhibit both serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake impair long-term potentiation in hippocampus

Unread post by cdraham »

sovietxrobot wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm this applies only to SNRIs like venlafaxine, not SSRIs. also the testing period is too short to be conclusive at only 3 weeks, where most SSRI/SNRI take 4-6 weeks to reach full efficacy. reduced hippocampal volume is linked to depression and may cause some impairment but not to the degree observed in PSSD. that is due to reduced dopamine efflux.
I thought you get sort of stuck on this mechanism in PSSD, leading to long term LTP impairment
sovietxrobot

cdraham wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:12 am
sovietxrobot wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm this applies only to SNRIs like venlafaxine, not SSRIs. also the testing period is too short to be conclusive at only 3 weeks, where most SSRI/SNRI take 4-6 weeks to reach full efficacy. reduced hippocampal volume is linked to depression and may cause some impairment but not to the degree observed in PSSD. that is due to reduced dopamine efflux.
I thought you get sort of stuck on this mechanism in PSSD, leading to long term LTP impairment
sorry, I wasn't clear. this is probably occurring in PSSD to a certain extent, but I think the cognitive/sexual effects are so severe, its not due to a lack of hippocampal neurogenesis alone. I agree that PSSD seems to be a state where receptors are stuck in a different state than before SSRIs, either under or over expressed.
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

sovietxrobot wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:49 am
sorry, I wasn't clear. this is probably occurring in PSSD to a certain extent, but I think the cognitive/sexual effects are so severe, its not due to a lack of hippocampal neurogenesis alone. I agree that PSSD seems to be a state where receptors are stuck in a different state than before SSRIs, either under or over expressed.
Right, i think so too, maybe you can take a look at my recent mitochondria thread and let me know what you think about it?
defmyst

Unread post by defmyst »

I got my PSSD from Effexor XR which is an SNRI. I don't have any cognitive problems as other people. Mine are purely libido and erectile dysfunction.
sovietxrobot

cdraham wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Right, i think so too, maybe you can take a look at my recent mitochondria thread and let me know what you think about it?
I dont know anything about mitochondrial function so I cant comment. Also I have done very little research on PFS, I try to keep that separate from PSSD because its just another layer of complication.

I noticed you mentioned you had muscle weakness and fatigue. I too had major problems with muscle weakness, as soon as I started moving my muscle would burn like that id done 100 reps. I was able to fix this completely with nitric oxide supplementation. SSRIs can modify NO expression, and I guess something about PSSD greatly enhances this effect.
Maxin

Unread post by Maxin »

sovietxrobot wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:35 am
cdraham wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:36 pm

I dont know anything about mitochondrial function so I cant comment. Also I have done very little research on PFS, I try to keep that separate from PSSD because its just another layer of complication.

I noticed you mentioned you had muscle weakness and fatigue. I too had major problems with muscle weakness, as soon as I started moving my muscle would burn like that id done 100 reps. I was able to fix this completely with nitric oxide supplementation. SSRIs can modify NO expression, and I guess something about PSSD greatly enhances this effect.
What nitric oxide sups did you take? Thx
sovietxrobot

I got whatever brand popped up on amazon, I cant remember which exactly. I have been using l-citruline lately, but I feel like its not as effective as NO.