PSSD can be triggered by mitochondrial instability

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
kpavel

PSSD can be triggered by mitochondrial instability

Unread post by kpavel »

Hey folks, yesterday the user cdraham made a very interesting hypothesis in Reddit. And I have to inform you, I was collecting scientific reports on this topic since late November. I had symptoms of something like heart angina, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and mental fatigue mainly since my bad luck with ginger. And as a result of my searches I started experimenting with mitochondrial supplements with a great success, especially since the 18th of March, in those home isolation days when I could firmly say there's no more symptoms, no fatigue, and my heart rhythm is normal when I walk or stand, and I just feel normal.

It happened because I managed to improve my mitochondrial health. I think, with pharmaceutical drugs, especially with SSRI drugs (or direct serotonin precursor 5-HTP) we induce a mitochondrial fragility or make it worse. That type of damage alone can entail a cascade of events which caused most of our symptoms including anhedonia or ed.

So how important is mitochondrial stability in modern diseases?
Mitochondrias are complex cell energy units which can even move between cells and every major illness is studied in their context for more than 10-15 years. It's a serious trend. For a short introduction watch this interview with Dr. Peter Bongiorno.
https://youtu.be/usd1kofEg2w
There are also so called inherited rare mitochondrial diseases.
For example see https://youtu.be/8rUTRaRD7AM

What are the possible symptoms of mitochondrial malfunction?
Here they are:
BRAIN
Developmental delays, Migraines, Seizures, Dementia, Autistic Features, Atypical cerebral palsy,
Neuro-psychiatric disturbances, Intellectual Disabilities, Strokes

NERVES
Weakness (may be intermittent), Fainting, Absent reflexes,
Neuropathic pain, Dysautonomia, Temperature Instability

MUSCLES
Weakness, Irritable bowel syndrome, Gastroesophogeal reflux,
Cramping, Diarrhea or constipation, Hypotonia,
Gastrointestinal problems, Pseudo-obstruction, Dysmotility

KIDNEYS
Renal tubular acidosis or wasting
HEART
Cardiac conduction defects (heart blocks), Cardiomyopathy
LIVER
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), Liver failure,
EARS & EYES
Visual loss and blindness, Optic atrophy, Acquired strabismus,
Ptosis, Ophthalmoplegia, Retinitis pigmentosa,
Hearing loss, Deafness,

PANCREAS & OTHER GLANDS
Diabetes, Exocrine Pancreatic Failure, Parathyroid failure
SYSTEMIC
Failure to gain weight, Unexplained vomiting, Respiratory problems,
Fatigue, Short stature

https://www.umdf.org/what-is-mitochondr ... -symptoms/

How a SSRI drug can damage mitochondrias?
We can't know all possbile reasons but there are lots of genes that could be affected in theory. Scientists did direct studies for antidepressants (citalopram, fluoxetine etc) and also we can expect cellular mechanisms of 5-HT receptors signalling to do certain destructive changes. For example here is the list of drugs that damage mitochondrias in different ways. https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArt ... oAvoid.htm
Find fluoxetine. I found out potential mechanisms for both MRCI and MRCV but I'm almost sure restoring MRCI is the most promising way to go.

Which factors can improve mitochondrial function?
A lot of them: activities, in food, drugs, plants. That's the big question. But there are the most prominent ones. All of them are supplements of orthomolecular kind.

I addition, here's an interesting clue on possible cognition issues reasons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalopathy

Do you know how I came to all these findings? Well if you remember, on the old hosting one guy had claimed he was almost cured with Lady's Mantle plant. I tried it and mentioned I felt more tension down there. So what happened next is reading some of stuff which if I'm not mistaken was in Meso's posts. I decided to try gelatin powder because it has lots of glycine. Next day I woke up in a foggy state and several hours later I felt strong spasms in groin area. This lasted for more than a week. I didn't know what to do and what was that until I found out that glycine receptors are involved in muscle spasticity and myoclonus. Glycine also seems to harm orexin neurons in brain, insufficiency of orexin, I thought, was a cause of anhedonia, sleepiness and even sleep paralysis. So I thought how would I upregulate GLYT2 transporter or how would I block glycine alpha1 receptor? First I decided to use beta-carbolines (found in coffee or Harmala). It really helped with spasms. I know it all sounds crazy without tests etc. But that's what I was experiencing so who knows. And soon I began to work with my mitochondrias, with great success.

If you are interested in what molecular mechanisms are behind my theory I am in a stage of preparing a short scientific example explanation of how serotonin drugs can affect sexual function through mitochondria and other mechanisms. Just have to repeat selected materials and formulate the logic in normal English (that's a more difficult part for me). Questions?
cdraham

Re: PSSD can be triggered by mitochondrial instability

Unread post by cdraham »

Very interesting indeed, may I ask what your symptoms before were? How was your reaction to alcohol, recreational drugs?

What exactly did you do to help your mitochondria? Do you feel 100% cured of your PSSD now?

btw: the member helvy improved on HBOT initially before his crash, that might have boosted mitochondria function

I did some research and came across 10 pass ozone therapy, something I might try.
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

cdraham wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:32 pm Very interesting indeed, may I ask what your symptoms before were? How was your reaction to alcohol, recreational drugs?

What exactly did you do to help your mitochondria? Do you feel 100% cured of your PSSD now?

btw: the member helvy improved on HBOT initially before his crash, that might have boosted mitochondria function

I did some research and came across 10 pass ozone therapy, something I might try.
Yes, really, I feel like a cured man, it was something very notable happening and things are still improving. First of all it is a feeling that obstacles in life is not something to worry about. I stopped doubting a lot, sort of an alpha-male (yes, I can, it's not difficult) feeling inside (so it's only partly about testosterone, more about dopamine). Also you know, when you suspect a heart condition life becomes very miserable. Now I can do things till 1 am every day if I want.

Another symptom is I began sweating normal and I'm less restless. I had very little sweat, my sleep was intermittent, I didn't feel a pleasure to sleep a little more. Also my hands were in increased tonus/tension state, especially veins were very prominent on them several times in a day. When I walked my heart rate was more than 100 bpm, and when I stopped it didn't calm for a long time, so called intolerance to exercise, I guess. So this all was a lot of discomfort, stopping any pleasure in life. Also I can read texts on screen and not return to repeat, like I did in the worst times, but see the whole picture from page.

Interesting fact, I began playing computer games a lot, it's not a meh now. I feel it is easier to become an addict now). I drink coffee more than ever. Watching dreams every night 8-) , they are colorful, sometimes erotic, I can be almost woken up and continue dreaming if you understand what it feels like. My morning erections are everyday. I also noticed my balls have grown. Strange coincidence. Also my laughing is more spontaneous and natural.

I don't use drugs, it's not legal here and really dangerous. Not worth it. I react to wine well, increased mood, even more than from caffeine-containing drinks.

I combine several supplements everyday, but believe the most useful were niacinamide, d-ribose, lecithin, resveratrol and carnitine. Probably PQQ, but not now, 2 years ago my connecton feeling from brain to penis was restored while taking pqq.

Oxygen/ozone can be helpful for mitochondrias but obviously in the right concentration.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25828268
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31827546
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25701186
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29022413
Declining NAD+ Induces a Pseudohypoxic State Disrupting Nuclear-Mitochondrial Communication during Aging
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S009 ... 13)01521-3
Ever since eukaryotes subsumed the bacterial ancestor of mitochondria, the nuclear and mitochondrial genomes have had to closely coordinate their activities, as each encode different subunits of the oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) system. Mitochondrial dysfunction is a hallmark of aging, but its causes are debated. We show that, during aging, there is a specific loss of mitochondrial, but not nuclear, encoded OXPHOS subunits. We trace the cause to an alternate PGC-1α/β-independent pathway of nuclear-mitochondrial communication that is induced by a decline in nuclear NAD+ and the accumulation of HIF-1α under normoxic conditions, with parallels to Warburg reprogramming. Deleting SIRT1 accelerates this process, whereas raising NAD+ levels in old mice restores mitochondrial function to that of a young mouse in a SIRT1-dependent manner. Thus, a pseudohypoxic state that disrupts PGC-1α/β-independent nuclear-mitochondrial communication contributes to the decline in mitochondrial function with age, a process that is apparently reversible.
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

kpavel wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:27 am
cdraham wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:32 pm Very interesting indeed, may I ask what your symptoms before were? How was your reaction to alcohol, recreational drugs?

Yes, really, I feel like a cured man, it was something very notable happening and things are still improving. First of all it is a feeling that obstacles in life is not something to worry about. I stopped doubting a lot, sort of an alpha-male (yes, I can, it's not difficult) feeling inside (so it's only partly about testosterone, more about dopamine). Also you know, when you suspect a heart condition life becomes very miserable. Now I can do things till 1 am every day if I want.

Another symptom is I began sweating normal and I'm less restless. I had very little sweat, my sleep was intermittent, I didn't feel a pleasure to sleep a little more. Also my hands were in increased tonus/tension state, especially veins were very prominent on them several times in a day. When I walked my heart rate was more than 100 bpm, and when I stopped it didn't calm for a long time, so called intolerance to exercise, I guess. So this all was a lot of discomfort, stopping any pleasure in life. Also I can read texts on screen and not return to repeat, like I did in the worst times, but see the whole picture from page.

Interesting fact, I began playing computer games a lot, it's not a meh now. I feel it is easier to become an addict now). I drink coffee more than ever. Watching dreams every night 8-) , they are colorful, sometimes erotic, I can be almost woken up and continue dreaming if you understand what it feels like. My morning erections are everyday. I also noticed my balls have grown. Strange coincidence. Also my laughing is more spontaneous and natural.

I don't use drugs, it's not legal here and really dangerous. Not worth it. I react to wine well, increased mood, even more than from caffeine-containing drinks.

I combine several supplements everyday, but believe the most useful were niacinamide, d-ribose, lecithin, resveratrol and carnitine. Probably PQQ, but not now, 2 years ago my connecton feeling from brain to penis was restored while taking pqq.

Oxygen/ozone can be helpful for mitochondrias but obviously in the right concentration.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25828268
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31827546
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25701186
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29022413
Declining NAD+ Induces a Pseudohypoxic State Disrupting Nuclear-Mitochondrial Communication during Aging
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S009 ... 13)01521-3
Ever since eukaryotes subsumed the bacterial ancestor of mitochondria, the nuclear and mitochondrial genomes have had to closely coordinate their activities, as each encode different subunits of the oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) system. Mitochondrial dysfunction is a hallmark of aging, but its causes are debated. We show that, during aging, there is a specific loss of mitochondrial, but not nuclear, encoded OXPHOS subunits. We trace the cause to an alternate PGC-1α/β-independent pathway of nuclear-mitochondrial communication that is induced by a decline in nuclear NAD+ and the accumulation of HIF-1α under normoxic conditions, with parallels to Warburg reprogramming. Deleting SIRT1 accelerates this process, whereas raising NAD+ levels in old mice restores mitochondrial function to that of a young mouse in a SIRT1-dependent manner. Thus, a pseudohypoxic state that disrupts PGC-1α/β-independent nuclear-mitochondrial communication contributes to the decline in mitochondrial function with age, a process that is apparently reversible.
You ever had cognitive dysfunction / memory loss / anhedonia?
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

Yes, I wrote that my reading ability was severely compromised. Also I had spatial memory issues. I could forget what I wanted to do several minutes later.
fellow1

Unread post by fellow1 »

So it's these supplements that cured you or there is something else ? and you have no ED anymore and your libido is back?
cdraham

Unread post by cdraham »

I just ordered all of those supplements and will test them. Will report back.
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

fellow1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 pm

So it's these supplements that cured you or there is something else ? and you have no ED anymore and your libido is back?
For what I described, yes, and no ED but it wasn't the aim for me for at least 3 years, I look for pleasure from life.
I also use some other supplements sporadically, for example one capsule of yohimbine at night, Or I used amla. Mucuna pruriens powder a few times. The last one seems to boost productivity subjectively.
HereToHeal

Unread post by HereToHeal »

kpavel wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:34 pm

For what I described, yes, and no ED but it wasn't the aim for me for at least 3 years, I look for pleasure from life.
I also use some other supplements sporadically, for example one capsule of yohimbine at night, Or I used amla. Mucuna pruriens powder a few times. The last one seems to boost productivity subjectively.

Can you tell us the doses for each of the supplements? I'd like to try them as well.
And for how long have you been taking them?
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

HereToHeal wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:58 pm
kpavel wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Can you tell us the doses for each of the supplements? I'd like to try them as well.
And for how long have you been taking them?
Niacinamide 500 mg (Nature's way) + d-Ribose (Doctor's Best, powder), 2 grams, morning and night for 2 months.
Acetyl-l-carnitine 2 grams (approximately) from Primaforce sour powder, lately l-carnitine rarely, morning.
Coenzyme Q10(Natural Factors) 100 mg with niacinamide once a day.
NTFactor 2 scoops initially, then phosphatidylcholine capsules (4 a day at once) or soy lecithin granules, one table spoon, from LifeExtension.
l-Lysine powder, not every day, but quite often.
Resveratrol, used 1 capsule cheap brand, not every day.
Omega 3 capsules in the morning.
B-complex #12 by Thorne Research, 1 capsule.
Vitamin E, MRM 1 capsule.

Additionally sometimes: yohimbine 2.5 mg Primaforce at night, amla powder, mucuna pruriens powder, maca powder, dense chamomile tea, chlorophyl in capsules, PQQ, RLA.
I also consumed 1 bottle high-dose riboflavin and 1 bottle of Resveracel before niacinamide+ribose.