Lesser-known tidbits on Bupropion

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Meso

Lesser-known tidbits on Bupropion

Unread post by Meso »

There are many members here who are using Bupropion for symptomatic relief. It's a good drug, in my opinion, and one of the few antidepressants I approve of. However, there are things this drug does that warrant further investigation.

1- Bupropion attenuates morphine tolerance and dependence. [Link]
--> So, this could mean it either sensitize/upregulate MOR or it inhibits a receptor involved in MOR downregulation (i.e. NMDAR).

2- Bupropion inhibits cortical glutamate release by suppressing voltage-dependent Ca(2+) channel and MEK/ERK activity. [Link]
--> It can lower cortical glutamate but it also lowers the seizure threshold at high doses, so it has a modulatory function.

3- Bupropion inhibits TNF-alpha and interferon-gamma. [Link]
--> It has potent anti-inflammatory effect.

4- Bupropion heavily modulates the L-arginine-NO-cGMP signaling pathway. [Link]
--> In fact, high doses of L-Arginine or Sildenafil have prevented its antidepressant effect altogether in studies.

5- Bupropion desensitizes 5HT1A autoreceptors. [Link]
--> This effect is indirect (via desensitization of alpha2-adrenoceptors --> increased serotonin release).

Thanks for reading
"The Research Zone" is permanently down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
Markc1113

Re: Lesser-known tidbits on Bupropion

Unread post by Markc1113 »

Does this mean it helps the use of Sildenafil? Does this hurt or benefit high seretonin? One thing I noticed is that even with these problems it causes premature ejaculation on it but did help a lot with libido and function
Meso

Unread post by Meso »

Markc1113 wrote:Does this mean it helps the use of Sildenafil? Does this hurt or benefit high seretonin? One thing I noticed is that even with these problems it causes premature ejaculation on it but did help a lot with libido and function
Bupropion lowers NO synthesis in the brain and this has antidepressant effect. So, L-Arginine and Sildenafil counteract Bupropion's effect. This can also mean that Bupropion has anti-erectile potential.
"The Research Zone" is permanently down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
finities infinities

Unread post by finities infinities »

If it reduces glutamate activity, why has it made my symptoms worse? I only stayed for 4 days because the severity of all my symptoms was so intensified, I ended up with a suicide attempt.
This reduced my hope again :(
Overall this drug is weird for me, because first dose slighty improve my symptoms and induced window with constipation and dry eyes ( good in me), but next days bupropion became working invert- very worsened my symptoms, created terror in me. Depersonalization she was so strong that I didn't feel like I was losing my sight. I couldn't work out in the gym because I had such an icy cold and stiff body + strong erectile disfunction. After discontinuation of bupropion, I experienced a short window, a state of mild drowsiness and calmness- slighty less anhedonia and obsessive rational thought.
cls

Unread post by cls »

Would you have any hypotheses on why it causes tinnitus (temporary or permanent) in some people? I've seen a few theories out there, mainly related to dopamine, but not so sure about that. It's been 112 days since I stopped it and, knocking heavily on wood here, I think I may be close to a full recovery, but I know of others at TinnitusTalk that weren't so lucky.

I know it's outside the realm of your research and wouldn't really want you to waste time on it, but if you had an idea of the top of your head, I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks for the other information you've posted!
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

Bupropion gave me tinnitus and massive migraines. I took it at a low dose for a month after getting pssd from Zoloft. Those symptoms are only caused/made worse when I take 5ht1a agonists like when I took Ginger. I suspect Bupropion can greatly downregulate the 5ht1a receptors, especially taking it for a prolonged period of time. Let my experience be a warning sign for others taking or consider taking this drug.
cls

Unread post by cls »

Tree wrote:Bupropion gave me tinnitus and massive migraines. I took it at a low dose for a month after getting pssd from Zoloft. Those symptoms are only caused/made worse when I take 5ht1a agonists like when I took Ginger. I suspect Bupropion can greatly downregulate the 5ht1a receptors, especially taking it for a prolonged period of time. Let my experience be a warning sign for others taking or consider taking this drug.
Honestly, based on my experience, PSSD is bad, but tinnitus is also nothing to screw with. There is no known cure or treatments and arguably, I would say there is less hope regarding tinnitus than with PSSD. If I were to give advice to people, start with the absolute lowest dose and if you experience tinnitus, to taper back or come off IMMEDIATELY. This is the one case where I truly wish I never listened to the psychiatrist. I just don't understand why she was that oblivious to the fact that tinnitus is a severe and potentially debilitating condition with no way to treat outside of therapy and MAYBE Ginkgo (with a huge emphasis on MAYBE, but none of the people I've interacted with had any luck with it). I was the golden patient until this incident and I can barely stay on anything now for more than a few days if I have any changes in symptoms. I'm really hoping the last part of this goes away and am super grateful for the remarkable improvements so far from the original amount. My ears were everything since I love music, and now I have to limit my headphone time and can only listen to music through speakers for any extended period of time (at a low volume).

Didn't want to go off topic here, but I think this warranted a warning at the least. Most people will be okay, but they should absolutely be educated on what tinnitus is and how debilitating it can be before trying something that is potentially ototoxic (although there is no consensus on this and it is currently not listed as ototoxic. As always, none of this is medical advice and based on my personal experience and opinions only).
mrstaircase

Unread post by mrstaircase »

I also got moderate tinnitus from 2 years of bupropion use. It got better a year after discontinuation and went away completely when I started focusing on increasing DHT. Tribulus seems to help too.
Extremaduro

Unread post by Extremaduro »

I got tinnitus too from using bupropion for (2 weeks).
PsychoGenesis

Unread post by PsychoGenesis »

maybe this is why people report that agmatine prevent their tolerance to bupropion effects

why it increases the risk of psychosis
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mad.scienc ... hosis/amp/