Berberine

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
fellow1

Re: Berberine

Unread post by fellow1 »

Just in case if someone haven't researched enough berberine is causing muscle wastage, due to protein degradation. Google it if you think such side can bother you.
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

I already exercise - my biggest concern is berberine affecting my ability to perform and gain muscle. As long as I continue exercising it should offset at least some of the effects.

I was thinking along the lines of something I could supplement concurrently
BrainStewed

Unread post by BrainStewed »

Hey guys,

Second day of using this. So far what I've seen is somewhat contradictory to OP (though of course it has only been three days): increased sensitivity (seemed to compound on cayenne's efficacy), slightly decreased libido, and worsening of ED. While my anhedonia isn't as bad as it used to be I did have some emotional moments in these past 48 hours. Brain fog I can't comment on because that was improved a long time ago by other means (methylphenidate ER). Again, three days so take with a grain of salt. The weird thing is this is the exact opposite of what mirtazapine (I think) has done for me if I do the PRN approach some have sworn by because it gives me: improvement in ED, increased libido, but worsening of physical numbness.

Had a couple of questions if anyone could assist?
- I've been taking it all at once (250mg x 2 or 3 pills) at bed along with Icariin. Should I instead be doing it spread throughout the day? Days 1 and 2 I took 500mg and slept extremely well (which is great because I've had a bout of insomnia unrelated to PSSD) but then this morning after taking 750mg's before bed I feel pretty drugged up and lethargic.
- Am I doing myself a disservice by not going for the 60% icariin? I've been using the typical 10% you can find in any store (have for some months now) but that price-tag from Area's suggested brand is...yeesh. Any possible alternatives?
- For the berberine I'm just using the typical SolarRay brand. As stated above it's definitely having effects but regardless is this a reliable enough brand?

Thanks guys! Life is somewhat hectic right now with a lot of changes but I'll do my best to keep reporting back in as the days go on!
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

Hey BrainStewed,

3 days is definitely too early to tell - keep riding it out. I think area said he started noticing effects after 1.5 weeks. Berberine has a relatively short half life, so I would recommend splitting the dose up throughout the day. The berberine studies for metabolic purposes were based on 500mg 3x per day. Area was doing 200mg 4x per day (I'll probably try this out). If i were you and you're going with 500mg or 750mg, I would at least split the doses up taking 250mg at once 2-3x per day. If you want, you can take them 30 minutes before meals to reap some of the other benefits of berberine.

I think that the higher potency icariin will be more beneficial since you'll get more actual icariin. High potency icariin products are unfortunately expensive, but it's your call. You can buy high potency icariin in bulk that reduces your cost per mg but it's a lot of money to put out. I probably will be ordering the brand he recommended
BrainStewed

Unread post by BrainStewed »

Hey R3m3dy,

Appreciate the help! I tried looking through the posts and Area's blog/board but apparently I missed some things. I'm going to try 250mg's 3x's a day (before meals when possible as you suggested) and see how it goes.

I did find 40% icariin at GNC (Nugenix brand; https://www.gnc.com/mens-sexual-health/452425.html) for a bit less so I think I'll try that first. I had a pretty obvious reaction to 10% so if the 40% doesn't work after a few days at least I can return and try the 60%. Just thought I'd list it here in case someone else wants to try the same before they attempt something more expensive!
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

That's actually a good price, especially with the buy one get one 50% off sale, assuming the quality is good. 4.5 caps per day is the equivalent dose to 3 caps of the 60% and it's still less expensive
Truskawa

Unread post by Truskawa »

I am trying berberine myself right now.
Although it's impossible to tell anything yet, my brain must be a mess.
I am during venlafaxine withdrawal, it didn't help me.
I've also been taking forskolin daily for about three weeks.
I added 500mg of berberine four days ago.
My mood is quite fine as for today. My libido is pretty low, but not totally gone. I find it hard to get an erection.
I will report.
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

I take my comment back - just saw that the GNC brand is only 30 caps. The World ABS Icariin 60 is a better value since it's 90 caps of a higher concentration.
R3m3dy

Unread post by R3m3dy »

I have started berberine at 200mg 4x day with ABS World 60 Icariin 300 mg 3x per day as per area-1229's protocol, but I am open to different dosing schedules (e.g.: if more berberine might be better, but most user's experiences seem to be better at lower doses). Also started Citrulline, will keep this thread posted.

Theoretically, Berberine's interaction with Cyrochrome P450 could affect the metabolism of some drugs. In practice, would you expect to see any issues in taking 100mg sildenafil while on berberine/icariin given its interaction with CYP3A4 or would it be fine?