Introduction and question to fellow respectable members

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
Midolic

Introduction and question to fellow respectable members

Unread post by Midolic »

Hello everyone,

My internet search has lead me to this forum.
Here's my story.

When I was 25 years old, I was prescribed Cipralex for severe anxiety and panic attacks that caused me to rush to ER every night for no physical reason.

The family doctor prescribed 10mg for me and put in a referral to see a psychiatrist.
I started taking 5mg for week, then increases it to 10mg

The side effects were plenty!
I had weird dreams (not nightmares just weird)
I had a dry mouth
I felt dizzy
And worst of them all, I had severe Erectile Dysfunction.

I didn't care as much at the time, as no one has ever told me that this might persist even after discontinuing!

I had bad ED for about a year and a half, then suddenly I was completely back to normal WHILE I was still taking Cipralex!

I was fine for another year and a half, then I decided to stop it. I stopped it gradually, really gradually, over a year or so.
Going10mg a day
5mg a day
5mg every other day
5mg twice a week
Then 5mg once a week

During tapering off, I started to notice my ED again!
It's not more than 6 months that I've completely stopped the medication, and my PSSD is still the same :/

My question to you guys is:

Has anyone made a recovery before (like me when I was taking the medication) and then had it again but couldn't recover this time?

Most of the stories I've read is for people who had PSSD and it never went away. My case seems unique. I definitely fully recovered after two years while I was still on Cipralex, and only had the symptoms again when I stopped it.

My other question is, if the theories abour the receptors are true, how does that explain my case?
I get PSSD then recover while I'm still taking the medication THEN get it again when I stop it.
I could be wrong, but doesn't this throw most theories out of the window? There's theories explaining why you'd get PSSD when you're on the medication, or when you stop it.....but nothing explaining getting PSSD in both scenarios :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum, I look forward to hearing from you guys.

I'm also available for any questions, or if I can help in any way.

Thanks guys!!
ryjoseph97

Re: Introduction and question to fellow respectable members

Unread post by ryjoseph97 »

Hi Midolic! Welcome to the community and I wish we were meeting you under more fortunate circumstances.

I have PSSD which manifests as PE, muted orgasm, and about a 20-30% reduction in sensitivity. Erectile function has never been a problem. Anyways, I went back on citalopram 20mg for severe social anxiety and also to see if it would help with my PSSD. That was 11 days ago.

It hasn't helped my social anxiety yet but I found that it has increased my orgasm/buildup intensity (Maybe 70% of what it was pre-pssd - about a 30% improvement from before reinstatement).. I believe it was citalopram that gave me PE but that's only a semi-informed guess. I don't have my old medical records and have had PSSD for 4+ years.

Some people are wary of reinstating SSRIs. I suppose there is a risk that it would worsen the disorder. But I decided that the risk was worth it. You could always try a microdose (1-2mg of cipralex) for a while. Just don't expect drastic improvements for at least a month or so. And even then, it's hard to know if it will work.

I am encouraged by my results so far. Good luck my friend!
Midolic

Unread post by Midolic »

ryjoseph97 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:30 pm Hi Midolic! Welcome to the community and I wish we were meeting you under more fortunate circumstances.

I have PSSD which manifests as PE, muted orgasm, and about a 20-30% reduction in sensitivity. Erectile function has never been a problem. Anyways, I went back on citalopram 20mg for severe social anxiety and also to see if it would help with my PSSD. That was 11 days ago.

It hasn't helped my social anxiety yet but I found that it has increased my orgasm/buildup intensity (Maybe 70% of what it was pre-pssd - about a 30% improvement from before reinstatement).. I believe it was citalopram that gave me PE but that's only a semi-informed guess. I don't have my old medical records and have had PSSD for 4+ years.

Some people are wary of reinstating SSRIs. I suppose there is a risk that it would worsen the disorder. But I decided that the risk was worth it. You could always try a microdose (1-2mg of cipralex) for a while. Just don't expect drastic improvements for at least a month or so. And even then, it's hard to know if it will work.

I am encouraged by my results so far. Good luck my friend!

Thank you for your reply!
Would you mind giving me some time frames?
When did you start? When did you stop? When did you restart?

And during taking it or stopping it, did you ever go back to normal 100%?

Thank you buddy!
ryjoseph97

Unread post by ryjoseph97 »

I went on Citalapram back in 2016 and began experiencing PE in 2017. Since that time I have been off and on every SSRI imaginable but never for more than 3 or 4 weeks. I find I have bad side effects with them, especially grogginess and numbed emotions. I also find that SSRIs aren't very effective for me anymore. They used to work after 2 days for my social anxiety. I was off of SSRIs completely for about 13 months until 2020.

I don't believe I have tried Citalopram or Escitalopram since 2016. So, since I believe it is either one of those that gave me PSSD, I went on citalopram 12 days ago to see if, after a few months, it would reverse my PSSD. Or to see if perhaps living on Citalopram is just better than living without it. So far, nothing appears to have worsened. In fact, I have found that pain feels different while on it. Deep emotional pain doesn't knock me on the floor for 3 hours anymore. I still feel the pain but it doesn't feel as bad. I noticed that the first night I took it and haven't noticed that with any other SSRI.

I have only known that I have PSSD for about 4 months, so I only recently began to treat it. I am definitely not 100% pre-PSSD. I think I'll need to wait at least 6 months before I conclude anything. I've never been on an SSRI for more than 45 days or so.

Hope this helps!