Selenios's intro

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
selenio

Selenios's intro

Unread post by selenio »

Hi everyone, I've been in the forum for quite a long, but just doing research, and I noticed the problem is far more complicated than I imagined, and found out that you guys have way more experience and knoledge about it, so I decided to post this topic to ask for some advice.
So I'm selenio. I'm a 26 yo from Brasil (bad english :/). I got PSSD (PFS, actually) from stopping finasteride after 4 years in it. About 2 months without finasteride, I noticed something was really wrong with me. Very bad anhedonia, lack of motivation and emotions were the main problem. What is interesting is that I never had sexual problems, which is a very common sympton in PSSD and PFS. So one year later, I decided to visit a psychiatrist. He never mention anhedonia, just said it was some kind of depression. At the time, I already knew what anhedonia was, and knew that was probably my problem. But I gave the psychiatrist a try, and started taking SSRIs. Started in lexapro, no help at all. Than stopped lexapro and started vanlafaxin, up to 225mg a day. And guess what: no help, again. So I decided not to trust the psychiatrist, and I started to look for help in this forum and on web in general.
Today I'm better than was 4 years ago, natural improvement, I guess, but have a loooot to heal. Still have a big lack on my emotions. Some things I've already tried:

- Glutamine
- Curcumin
- Fish oil
- Vitamin complex
- Sarcosin + NAC (did some improvement)
- Pyracetan
- L carnitin

Some wierd thing that I noticed and I think it's the main clue to the root of the problem is that neither MDMA nor LSD work on me, and this started just when I noticed the anhedonia. I think it has something to do with the 5HT2A receptors. I used to smoke weed, but it don't work very well anymore, so I stopped.

Can you guys give some direction where and what to research, based on this? I know you have much more experience than me, so I would be very appreciated. Wish you all the best, we will overcome this condition. Wish you all an infinite amount of faith and perseverance. :)
Thomas

Re: Selenios's intro

Unread post by Thomas »

selenio wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:52 pm But I gave the psychiatrist a try, and started taking SSRIs. Started in lexapro, no help at all. Than stopped lexapro and started vanlafaxin, up to 225mg a day. And guess what: no help, again.
How long was your trial?

Symptoms are similar between PFS and PSSD, but lots of things could explain these symptoms so don't jump to conclusions...
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

selenio wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:52 pm Hi everyone, I've been in the forum for quite a long, but just doing research, and I noticed the problem is far more complicated than I imagined, and found out that you guys have way more experience and knoledge about it, so I decided to post this topic to ask for some advice.
So I'm selenio. I'm a 26 yo from Brasil (bad english :/). I got PSSD (PFS, actually) from stopping finasteride after 4 years in it. About 2 months without finasteride, I noticed something was really wrong with me. Very bad anhedonia, lack of motivation and emotions were the main problem. What is interesting is that I never had sexual problems, which is a very common sympton in PSSD and PFS. So one year later, I decided to visit a psychiatrist. He never mention anhedonia, just said it was some kind of depression. At the time, I already knew what anhedonia was, and knew that was probably my problem. But I gave the psychiatrist a try, and started taking SSRIs. Started in lexapro, no help at all. Than stopped lexapro and started vanlafaxin, up to 225mg a day. And guess what: no help, again. So I decided not to trust the psychiatrist, and I started to look for help in this forum and on web in general.
Today I'm better than was 4 years ago, natural improvement, I guess, but have a loooot to heal. Still have a big lack on my emotions. Some things I've already tried:

- Glutamine
- Curcumin
- Fish oil
- Vitamin complex
- Sarcosin + NAC (did some improvement)
- Pyracetan
- L carnitin

Some wierd thing that I noticed and I think it's the main clue to the root of the problem is that neither MDMA nor LSD work on me, and this started just when I noticed the anhedonia. I think it has something to do with the 5HT2A receptors. I used to smoke weed, but it don't work very well anymore, so I stopped.

Can you guys give some direction where and what to research, based on this? I know you have much more experience than me, so I would be very appreciated. Wish you all the best, we will overcome this condition. Wish you all an infinite amount of faith and perseverance. :)
Anhedonia is one of symptoms of clinical depression.
It looks like you got some improvement naturally. Right?
Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? Or even changing your psychiatrist?
I think it's better than try to self medicate based on lot's of internet forum neuro-bulshit theories.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
selenio

Unread post by selenio »

Thomas wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:51 am
selenio wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:52 pm But I gave the psychiatrist a try, and started taking SSRIs. Started in lexapro, no help at all. Than stopped lexapro and started vanlafaxin, up to 225mg a day. And guess what: no help, again.
How long was your trial?

Symptoms are similar between PFS and PSSD, but lots of things could explain these symptoms so don't jump to conclusions...
About 2 years of trial. But I know exactually moment the anhedonia started, I could feel the huge change in my brain. And was about 2 months after I stopped taking finasteride. What else could it be?
selenio

Unread post by selenio »

arahant wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:13 pm
Anhedonia is one of symptoms of clinical depression.
It looks like you got some improvement naturally. Right?
Yes, I got some improvement. But what I mean is that now I can do some things, like work some hours a day. My emotions are still unexistent, I don't feel happy like ever.
arahant wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:13 pm
Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? Or even changing your psychiatrist?
No, but hoping to try soon.